300 WM 180 AB - Best Starting Point?

ShamrockShooter

Beginner
Jan 21, 2018
New to the forum. Wow I'm impressed so far. Search doesn't seem to work on my phone app. Is there a post or some advice someone could lend for a tried and true starting recipe for the 300 win mag with a 180 AccuBond? I won a browning x bolt at a gun raffle and it has a 26 inch barrel. First 20 rounds with cheap federal 180s factory loads produced some 3/4 inch to 1 1/2 inch 3 shot groups at 100 yds. Now I have some brass to reload.

I know every gun is different, but was curious what powders make the best velocity, consistency and accuracy on average in the 300WM with the longer 26 inch barrel.

Powders I have on hand
Reloader 19 and 22
H1000
IMR 4350, 4064, 3031

Based on the nosler chart I was going to try imr 4350 and H1000 first unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ok 72-76 RL22 any 180 gr bullet

And welcome to the forum

When I got the new 300 Win Mag built for me, I tried the RL-22 and 180 Accubonds for the first time and worked up a 300 yard ladder to find maximum velocity / pressure and stopped at 76 grains and 3,260 fps when I saw pressure, so backed off to 74.5 grains at 3,175 fps for accuracy. I am using Norma brass and CCI-250 primers. I tweaked charges in .2 increments after finding a node on the ladder test and used 300 yards as well to find my best group. My best group went at half an inch group at 300 yards. I was not expecting it to shoot that well, but was amazed. RL-22 is also a temp sensitive powder. I loaded up my last 30 rounds and used up all the powder, my next powder will be the H-1000 to see if it will shoot and it is insensitive to temperature. I figure I will lose a little speed with it, but deer won't know the difference.

Start at 72.5 gr. and work up with RL-22.

I use reloader 22 in my 7mm and 3006. I have shot them from 20 degrees to 80 degrees and 1000 ft to 12000 ft elevation and didn't notice any difference in hunting accuracy. Although I guess now I need to read up on how temp affects certain powders.

Once I give a few a try, I'll report back this spring once the snow melts and we can get to our range at hunting camp.

TackDriver284":23hdzysa said:
When I got the new 300 Win Mag built for me, I tried the RL-22 and 180 Accubonds for the first time and worked up a 300 yard ladder to find maximum velocity / pressure and stopped at 76 grains and 3,260 fps when I saw pressure, so backed off to 74.5 grains at 3,175 fps for accuracy. I am using Norma brass and CCI-250 primers. I tweaked charges in .2 increments after finding a node on the ladder test and used 300 yards as well to find my best group. My best group went at half an inch group at 300 yards. I was not expecting it to shoot that well, but was amazed. RL-22 is also a temp sensitive powder. I loaded up my last 30 rounds and used up all the powder, my next powder will be the H-1000 to see if it will shoot and it is insensitive to temperature. I figure I will lose a little speed with it, but deer won't know the difference.

Is yours a 26 inch barrel?

ShamrockShooter":2ugrffd2 said:
TackDriver284":2ugrffd2 said:

Is yours a 26 inch barrel?

Yes it is.

ShamrockShooter":11qpqh1x said:
TackDriver284":11qpqh1x said:
I tweaked charges in .2 increments after finding a node on the ladder test and used 300 yards as well to find my best group.

Is this the ladder test you mentioned? I've always reloaded for hunting not match, so this is a new concept for me. One more thing to read up on.

http://www.65guys.com/10-round-load-dev ... dder-test/

Similar, but i used .3 increments and check each hit and record it. And a chrono. After the test, i check for clusters and look for flat spots on the chrono

Helped a friend load for his. BTs instead of ABs. Settled on IMR4350 after using a number of slower powders, e.g., 4831, 7828, Re22. He's very happy. Capable of shooting bugeyes.

RL22 and the 300 Win with 180 and 200's was always a great place to start.

I have never missed an animal using RL22. Don't mean to say it won't or doesn't change, but it is a great powder.

75.0 grs RL22 and 180 gr bullet has shot
well under MOA in 3 different 300 Win Mag rifles for me.
Same load has produced similar accuracy for others
here over the years.

JD338

I agree 100% with Scotty with rl22 and a 300 win mag. I will add though that with rl22 lot to lot variation can swing quite a bit so when changing lot numbers always back down in charge weight and work back up as with any powder.

OU812":w72giesb said:
I agree 100% with Scotty with rl22 and a 300 win mag. I will add though that with rl22 lot to lot variation can swing quite a bit so when changing lot numbers always back down in charge weight and work back up as with any powder.

Now that is a fact. I think that is more what most folks see is the lot to lot variation and assume its temp sensitivity. I know I did when I used to work from the 1lb containers..

SJB358":34o3ljf0 said:
OU812":34o3ljf0 said:

Now that is a fact. I think that is more what most folks see is the lot to lot variation and assume its temp sensitivity. I know I did when I used to work from the 1lb containers..
I don't shoot a huge volume. Should I see about a couple 1 lb cans with same lot number? What is the usual shelf life of the r22?

Thanks for all the help everyone. Since I primarily use r22 in my 7mm and 3006, it would be great if I could get all three guns using the same powder.

Shelf life is somewhere beyond your life if you keep the powder sealed, dry and avoid heat.

My go to load for my 300 since the 1970's has been 72 gr H-4350 with 180 Partition. Shoots less than MOA, at 300 yards.
Oh! I keep my stored powder in cat sand plastic containers, lined with paper, inside a closet in my man cave.

Elkman":24aff9y5 said:
My go to load for my 300 since the 1970's has been 72 gr H-4350 with 180 Partition. Shoots less than MOA, at 300 yards.
Oh! I keep my stored powder in cat sand plastic containers, lined with paper, inside a closet in my man cave.
Thanks for the tip. Guess I need to get a cat now too... Off to the ammo and powder distributer tomorrow. Thanks to our NY governor we cant ship much here from the internet anymore.

Went to the ammunition supply dealer in town. Got 2 lbs of reloader 22 from the same lot. That should last a while.

Federal 215 primers are an endangered species apparently. I grabbed 2 boxes of cci250s as a substitute. Those should work right? What is the best primer for 300 win mag? The nosler manual alternated between federal and Winchester primers.

Back