.308 pistol load ?

brucel

Beginner
Feb 5, 2022
I've just acquired a T/C Encore pistol in .308 and would like to try it on deer next fall. I think that the 125 BT or AccuBond would be a good choice but I'm not finding any pistol-specific loads for it. Anyone have any recommendations as to powder(s)?

I would venture to guess that it would depend on what velocity level you would achieve. I only have a Contender with a 30-30 barrel and I just run full power factory level loads through it. Never have run them through the chronograph though. You'll just have to try different loads and see how they perform.
I looked in three different manuals and found nothing. The 50th anniversary Lyman manual had data for a 130 gr. bullet (Hornady) and velocity ranging from a max of 2385 FPS to 2829 FPS depending on the powder used. Firearm used was an Encore with 15" barrel Data is on page 498.
Paul B.

Use the 308 Win rifle data for your Encore pistol.
IMR4895, Varget and TAC would be good powders and the last two should get you to 2900 fps in the 15" barrel. Should be pretty effective on deer.

JD338

Last edited:
Thanks - I don't (yet) have the new Lyman book. I will definitely get it now.
Since I have Varget and 4895 on hand, I will look at those loads, too - but I can feel a need for a LOT of trigger-time. My previous heaviest recoil handgun is a Blackhawk in .41 mag and methinks that a .308 will exceed that by a tad.

If you go to Hodgdon's online Reloading Data Center, you'll find 308 Win data, with a mere 15" barrel in their pistol section. :)

It's showing 2800+ fps with the 125 grain bullet, with at least a couple of different powders.

Cool stuff eh?

I run a 14.5" center-grip XP-100 in 308 Winchester. Even with Hornady factory TAP ammo, using the 168 grain A-Max.
Even with factory ammunition, my MV is 2445 fps. Even at 450 yards, my impact velocity is 1774 fps, which is plenty fast to kill deer/antelope class animals

Back