35 cal 225 gr Accubond (x2) from moose

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
Link to thread of moose hunt.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41250

I recovered two bullets from the moose I was able to harvest recently. Impact velocity would be around 2100 fps at 300 yards started at 2700 fps. Bullet on left hit a lot of heavy bone, the one on the right didn't hit anything heavier than ribs. Both were caught against the heavy hide on the far side.

Left - 182 gr - 80.8% - 619" diameter

Right - 198.2 gr - 88.1% - .658" diameter

50403635292_34cd0db1ec_c.jpg

50403635182_35747ce297_c.jpg

You would be hard pressed to get better terminal performance than that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent performance! Thanks for sharing the bullet report.

Accubonds, Partitions, even Ballistic Tips - all do so well on game.

Guy

Wow...those really show great performance. I'll have to pull out my ABs and work up a load.

No bullet failure here that's for sure I'm sure Nosler will be pleased to see this thread. I like reading Nathan Foster from Ballistic Studies in New Zealand but am puzzled as to why he doesn't like the 35 cal AccuBond on heavy game. In my experience they perform just like these ones did which is excellent.

5shot, they often like to be seated deep so it pays to experiment with seating depth to see what your rifle does. I was around moa or better with this load from field positions out to 300 yards but my last group before leaving on the trip at 400 was around 2 inches which was pretty good. This was with RL 15 but I still want to try PP-2000 MR like you and others have been trying or PP-Varmint which looks good from Speer's data.

Gerry that is excellent bullet performance (y).
If it ain't broke don't fix it :wink:, RL15 did everything that needed to be done.
Gerry what was your powder charge?

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3sesd9ow said:
Gerry that is excellent bullet performance (y).
If it ain't broke don't fix it :wink:, RL15 did everything that needed to be done.
Gerry what was your powder charge?

Blessings,
Dan

59 gr Dan with a CCI 250 primer. It's a good load of course but you know I'm going to try a different powder just because :mrgreen:

gerry":3knpzm4f said:
5shot, they often like to be seated deep so it pays to experiment with seating depth to see what your rifle does. I was around moa or better with this load from field positions out to 300 yards but my last group before leaving on the trip at 400 was around 2 inches which was pretty good. This was with RL 15 but I still want to try PP-2000 MR like you and others have been trying or PP-Varmint which looks good from Speer's data.

I am not sure there is much to be gained with other powders, but it would be worth a look. There isn't enough room in the case to get Speer's max charges in there with the AB. In my Ackley, I can't get within a couple grains of their max charges without some serious compression. Maybe I could get more in there with a drop tube or vibration.

Picture perfect performance.
How much penetration did those AB's give you on your bull?

JD338

Looks like the bullets performed as they were supposed to. I've been running the 225 gr. TSX bullets in my Whelen but have not been able to recover a one from the elk shot with that bullet.
Paul B.

JD338":309ygflh said:

JD338

Didn't measure the width of his chest but it would have to be at least 2' across with a lot of muscle in between.

PJGunner":309ygflh said:
Looks like the bullets performed as they were supposed to. I've been running the 225 gr. TSX bullets in my Whelen but have not been able to recover a one from the elk shot with that bullet.
Paul B.

I shot one good sized bull a few years ago at close range with the 225 gr TSX and the bullets exited. They have a bit less frontal diameter on average so I'm sure that helps. Not sure I trust that hollow point at long range so I don't use them but really like the 200 gr TTSX though.

Typical AccuBond performance, as I have experienced with them in various calibers and cartridges, on a variety of big game from deer to bison over the years, since they were introduced.

It is my favourite hunting bullet!

That my friend is just perfect performance! Congratulations on your moose and the fine shooting also. I sure love me some Accubonds. They really worked well on my grizzly bear!!

David

gerry":31sq0uos said:
JD338":31sq0uos said:

JD338

Didn't measure the width of his chest but it would have to be at least 2' across with a lot of muscle in between.

PJGunner":31sq0uos said:
Paul B.
I shot a big bull 2 years ago with a 250 gr PT out of my 338 RUM. It blew through the off shoulder blade and was found under the hide. Like you, I didn't measure the thickness of my bull but I figured 2.5 feet of penetration.
A bull moose is a big animal!

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20181020_150906269.jpg
    IMG_20181020_150906269.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 1,154
That 338 250 gr PT should have had an edge on this bullet and still didn't make it out. Just shows like you said how big they are and how thick the hide is!

gerry":33jdzsz8 said:
JD338":33jdzsz8 said:

JD338

PJGunner":33jdzsz8 said:
Paul B.

I shot one good sized bull a few years ago at close range with the 225 gr TSX and the bullets exited. They have a bit less frontal diameter on average so I'm sure that helps. Not sure I trust that hollow point at long range so I don't use them but really like the 200 gr TTSX though.

Gerry, the longest shot I've taken on elk was a lasered 350 yards. One shot and the elk died DRT. That bullet has really worked extremely well for me on elk. I would love to try it on a moose. Maybe if I'm lucky I might find an affordable bison hunt. That TSX should do a number on one if I put it in the right place.
Paul B.

Well, I harvested a young meat bull moose today with my 9.3x62 and the 250 gr AB.
At 123 yards, the bull took the shot quartering to, and the bullet travelled more than 2 feet through the shoulder and spine and mushroomed well. It did make it through the hide on the far side, but luckily was found still in the thick hair! (shot was purposefully high to keep it from making into the thick brush and a nasty ravine.)

Pics or it didn't happen Gil ;) Congrats on the moose!

Back