35 Whelen - 200 grain HDY's and IMR4064

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, I blame Gerry for me trying the 200's. I was kinda thinking I had not done much with the Whelen in quite awhile, and had a fresh LB of IMR4064 laying around and some 200 grain Hornady's. Wanted to see what they would do in my CDL.

Shot all of these at 200 yards.

I gotta say, speeds looked pretty awesome and once I looked at QL, 4064 is a good one. Pretty sure it would run just about the same as RL15 or Varget as well, speed wise.

59 (2813-2774-2766-2852)

60 (2827-2865-2855-2829)

61 (2857-2848-2909-Err)

62 (2905-ERR-2921-ERR)

I could see the 200's being a cool cat in the Whelen, with bullets like the 200 AB or 200 TTSX. Very flat shooting and man, they would hit like a truck as well. I am happy that 4064 seems to be such a good powder as well in the Whelen. Hard to find much, if any RL15 right now, so it is nice to have backups.

I am not sure if I am going to monkey with the Hornady's much anymore, cause I don't trust them moving that fast, but I know there are others running them at 2500 out of a Whelen, which would be more in the speed range for that bullet and I bet it would do well for hogs, bears and deer within it's range.

Any of you all ever took anything this the 200 grain Hornady Spire Point?

Fine shooting, Scotty. The 200 grain Hornady will deliver the goods at those velocities. I wouldn't be fearful of taking game with them at anything below 3000 fps. Man, I'm going to have to lay hands on some more 200 grain pills.

Scotty I have never used the 200's on any game but intended to in my 350 for deer, that is before I sold it. I have used other weight interlocks for deer and elk in 30 and 338 caliber with nothing short of great results. Like Mike I kept velocity below 3K.

On a side note Weatherby factory ammo sports interlock bullets. I guess they too must feel they are tough enough.

Bill

Home » Team Hornady » Scrapbook » Perfict Performance Perfict Performance

Category: InterLock®

Product: 35 Cal .358 200 gr InterLock® SP-RP

Shooter: A.J. Angelloz

Posted: Nov 16, 2012

I returned from a culling hunt in Namibia at the end of June where I used the .358STA with Hornadys 200 gr. to shoot everything from Warthogs to Eland. We recovered numerous bullets and the PH and I were both impressed with the way they penatrated and stayed together even at close range and high velosity.

Just last weekend I hunted Nilgai in South Texas using my .50 cal. Hawkin Black Powder rifle with 300gr. XTP. This was the first time anyone had hunted Nilgai on this ranch with a Black Powder rifle. I had a one shot kill of a good bull at just under 100 yds and recovered the bullet under the skin on the off side shoulder. A text book mushroom and a 95% wt. retention.

After over 40 years of reloading, I have and still do load several bullet brands but Horandy is fast becoming my preference.

Found this on hornadys web site. Lee :mrgreen:

That is amazing! I was told that they will not do for elk and this was from a 358 Win NOT a 35 whelen or 358 STW!!!!!!

Good to know for sure!

At least I'm not trying to entice you to buy more guns Scotty :lol: Glad you are having fun.

The 200's do make a lot of sense for a lot of 35 Whelen shooters a 200 gr slug at 2800-2900 fps is a hammer of a load especially for deer-caribou sized game. Funny thing, it just dawned on me I have not had very good groups with the 200 gr Hornady but have done well with both the 200 gr AccuBond and TTSX. I bet those would work great in your gun too maybe with IMR 4064 and if not RL 15 or IMR 8208 would be other great choices to try. I was thinking bullets like this combine relatively high speed with bullets that expand to a big frontal diameter kind of combining both the Elmer Keith and Jack O Oonnor schools of thought. I know I'm going to use them more hopefully a deer or moose this fall with the TTSX and maybe a goat with the AccuBond. Need to shoot something with the TTSX this year to see how they perform.

Looking again I missed seeing these are 200 yard groups, the 62 gr load shows some promise for sure. Still like the AccuBond and TTSX better though although the Hornady will do well on game.

Bill I might load a few more up, finalize the load and try it this Fall on deer. I'm just leery of the 200's as I had horrible luck with the Remington 200 PSPs on deer. I wasn't getting exits on rib shots or recovering much of any bullet.

Thanks for that Lee. Might run them for deer and the price is right.

Gerry, I might try some 200 ABs. You've encouraged me a bit. I might also look at other powders but they are scarce right now.

Mine was from a .358 Win @ 2400 with the 200 Hornady, 2nd shot @ 50yds hit right at the top of the tail and the bullet was lodged in the brisket. The buck was 215lbs live weight and aged at 5.5yrs old.

HeathSexton":2gdt3umd said:
Mine was from a .358 Win @ 2400 with the 200 Hornady, 2nd shot @ 50yds hit right at the top of the tail and the bullet was lodged in the brisket. The buck was 215lbs live weight and aged at 5.5yrs old.

That's some good penetration at those speeds.

I do believe that this calls for some jug busting!

An acquaintance of mine swears by the 200gr Hornady's from a 358win. I couldnt get them to shoot well from my BLR. The extra 200fps out of the Whelen may make a bit of difference for in your face work but I wouldn't think it would game changing.

gerry":e7ghrict said:
HeathSexton":e7ghrict said:

That's some good penetration at those speeds.

Yeah, good enough I ended up buying 1000 of them. :)

Here is an article using the 350 Rem Mag, so fairly similar velocities, you guys may or may not have seen this one: http://35cal.com/35bullet_study/35bullet_study1.html

It was one of those, "hey I'm selling 7 boxes of bullets, I'll take $10 a box."

I see and I buy. :)

Already had the other 300

SJB358":2y9lne64 said:
Bill I might load a few more up, finalize the load and try it this Fall on deer. I'm just leery of the 200's as I had horrible luck with the Remington 200 PSPs on deer. I wasn't getting exits on rib shots or recovering much of any bullet.

Ditto for the Remington PSP bullets. Killed lots of deer with them but never cared much for the performance. The interlock is no Remington PSP that is for sure. I use them in my 300 savage, 150 grains and they give complete pass through.

Nice, that is good to hear Bill. Might load up some more today. I just annealed a bunch of cases, so I should have some fresh ones coming outta the tumbler here pretty quick.

Jake, I never forget about the Whelen, but being a Remington, I continue to hope, since it is surrounded by Model 70's in the safe it'll eventually change, but no such luck yet... Ah well, it continues to shoot well anyhow.

Scotty,
I would imagine a pass through would happen with the 200 AB. It is a good alternative for the Whelen. Thanks for sharing the experience to the faithful Whelen users. 8)

Don

SJB358":1tfhys7m said:
I never forget about the Whelen, but being a Remington, I continue to hope, since it is surrounded by Model 70's in the safe it'll eventually change, but no such luck yet...

I have never witnessed such transmogrification. Like you, Scotty, I can hope. :mrgreen:

Back