.358 220 flat nose speer hotcor - Whelen

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
Quickload predicted this loads velocity at 2850fps. I shot the jugs at about 20 yards. It fully penetrated 5 jugs and poked a hole in the 6th and was found on the table. It weighed 220 before and 148.5 grains after. Trevor, it looks just like yours but a jug less penetration. 67.5% weight retention

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

Next to a 200 interlock

%255BUNSET%255D

I used that same bullet on a nice mountain grizzly in 2005. Launched at about 400 fps less than you were shooting (from a .356), it did a number on that bear. Again, pretty good performance; I like the Hot-Cor bullets.

DrMike":2c2z0hw9 said:
I used that same bullet on a nice mountain grizzly in 2005. Launched at about 400 fps less than you were shooting (from a .356), it did a number on that bear. Again, pretty good performance; I like the Hot-Cor bullets.

I shot a fat doe with one two years ago. Shot her behind the last rib on the left and it exited thru the front of the right front shoulder. I was surprised when she ran 60+ yards and I had to track her. She left plenty of blood to track. I thought they might be too tough for thin skinned game ??? so I shot the softer interlocks last year.

That bullet looks great.

I shot a decent sized NY doe with that bullet around 2450. About the same results as you saw. Deer ran 30-40 yards directly in to a tree, dead. Blood everywhere. Hopefully you give one of those South Carolina deer the good news this Fall with one.

I used that bullet from a 356 for my first Texas boar!

Excellent performance. I always thought this bullet would be perfect in the 35 Whelen.

JD338

That is some impressive performance handling speed like that, it should give the users of this bullet a lot of confidence.

That 200 grain Hornady looks great also! Will be using them in my 358 Win BLR

I ran another one of these into jugs this week and the results were NOT the same. the last one penetrated 5 jugs and cracked 6.. this one was in the bottom of #7.
The first retained 67.5# of its weight and this one 74%. This one measured .543 .

It is not my first bullet choice, but my Whelen shoots them very well.

DSC_0869.JPG

DSC_0866.JPG

Dan-O

I used that bullet in dropping a grizzly a few years ago. I shot it from a .356 at a rather modest velocity. Of six rounds, I recovered two cores and one entire bullet. The recovered bullet was the final shot that passed through the hump and along the left front leg. It was recovered under the pad of the paw. I was tremendously impressed by the toughness of this bullet. The mass was sufficient to push through a lot of muscle. The first shot broke the shoulder and passed through the body to be lost.

Looks to be yet another great bullet for the 35 Whelen.

JD338

Well this lil piggie did not like it at all

From my 356 Win 94. in through base of neck at an angle and out through rear right ham!

Very nice Dano. I am still surprised how much you love to hate this bullet! I know fight the urge to use it, but man, it looks impressive. I have taken a grand total of one 150-160lb deer with it and it wailed through leaving a ton of blood, but only for about 15 plowed steps.. That was out of the 358 Winchester a couple years ago. I should load it back up for a retry one of these days.

SJB358":2wh27dq7 said:
Very nice Dano. I am still surprised how much you love to hate this bullet! I know fight the urge to use it, but man, it looks impressive. I have taken a grand total of one 150-160lb deer with it and it wailed through leaving a ton of blood, but only for about 15 plowed steps.. That was out of the 358 Winchester a couple years ago. I should load it back up for a retry one of these days.

I have taken a grand total of one deer with it also. A poor unsuspecting doe in Florida. She might have weighed 100# on the hoof and I had to track her 60+ yards. she was walking dead away and the bullet traveled from just forward of her ham and exited the opposite shoulder. It had to travel through ALL the good stuff. I guess I just expected a more dramatic kill in that scenario. Like you, I'm always trying to build the better mouse trap. I'm sure if I would just use them, they would get the job done. They shoot lights out in my whelen. The partitions do not shoot AS well and I have been VERY pleased with their on game performance so far. I suppose as long as I am shooting whitetails with my Whelen, about anything I throw at them will work if I can hit them. One day soon it will get a better barrel and then hopefully I can shoot whatever I want in it. I have certainly drank from the Whelen koolaid jug.

Oh yeah, makes sense Dano. I understand the better mousetrap part.. Probably the reason I have so many bullets on the shelf. Not enough time in the field to test them all....

Back