358 Winchester powder and bullet combination

Impossible to answer. What do you want to do with your rifle? Are you punching paper? If hunting, what are you hunting? Also, because rifles are so different, what is an ideal powder/primer/bullet combination for one rifle may prove gravely disappointing in another. In general, faster powders will give you better performance. The lighter the bullet, the higher the velocity. However, for heavier game, a heavier bullet will likely perform better. Give us some information of what you wish to do.

I'm going to be hunting moose and black bear, after doing a bit of research, I found that a lot of 358 shooters like the 225 grain Sierra.

Dont have experience with the 225 gr Sierra. In my thoughts however, it would do for deer/bear combination, rather than bear/moose. Just a little light for moose in my mind, for a standard cup&core bullet. If you wanted to stay with a 225 gr., the 225 gr. Nosler Partition is superior in my thoughts. But then I don't think one can have too much penetration, so I would likely go with a 250 NPT for the moose, and if a bear happens to be in the line of sight,,,,,, I'm sure he won't like either bullet weight.

I would rate the 225 gr Partition a much better choice for the game you will be hunting, my second choice would be the 200 gr Barnes TTSX. If your magazine allows the 225 gr AccuBond would be a top choice as well. Have used both the 225 gr Noslers in my Whelen with great success.

I would recommend the Nosler 225 gr PT.
Sould work great on Moose and bear.

JD338

What is your platform? My BLR is hampered with it's short magazine and using the AccuBond and Barnes TTSX are nullified due to the length of these bullets.

More info please.

I am using the 225gr Sierra GameKing but moose isn't on the menu. The SGK will work for moose but I agree that a Partition or Grand Slam would be a safer choice.

The 225 grain GK will assuredly work for moose, but I'd caution to avoid shots much over 200 yards. There is simply not enough velocity to assure expansion. As you've already been advised, consider the 225 grain Partition as a good all-around bullet. If you are not using the BLR, the AB or a TSX may work fine for you. I'm shooting a 200 grain TSX in my Hawkeye. Accuracy is exceptional, but I'm a little leery that velocity may not be sufficient to guarantee expansion.

Mike, what sort of velocity are you getting from the TSX? Whacked anything with it?

Not too much I wouldn't hunt with my 358 Win loaded with 225 PTs, W748, CCI BR2 and WW cases. Runs about 2450 out of my rifle. Great accuracy and it is a very good all around thumper! Scotty

I have a .338 Federal and they are like two peas in a pod with the .358 Win. I have found that for lighter bullets, IMR 3031 works well with consistanency and accuracy and for 225 grain bullest IMR 4064 seems to work really well. Actually, 4064 works for both but limited case capacity is an issue with 180 and 200 grain bullets.

CatskillCrawler":1k475si0 said:
What is your platform? My BLR is hampered with it's short magazine and using the AccuBond and Barnes TTSX are nullified due to the length of these bullets.

More info please.

I am using the 225gr Sierra GameKing but moose isn't on the menu. The SGK will work for moose but I agree that a Partition or Grand Slam would be a safer choice.

I am shooting a 358 Winchester in a Ruger Hawkeye with a 22 inch barrel, I tried some Barnes X bullets and did some chronograph work with that bullet. I got 2510 fps, I am sure that would open it up quite nicely. I shot a wolf with the 225 Sierra at 65 yds, the bullet bore a big hole all the way through. I shot him while he was looking at me on the trail, I was in a ground blind and he was trailing something with his nose on the ground. I grunted at him and he looked right at me, just long enough to touch off the 358. The entrance was about 1.5 inch across, the exit out the back leg was about the size of a softball. Eveything in between the brisket and the back leg was churned up pretty good. This years moose trip got cancelled due to someone backing out, but I hope to get the crosshairs on a swamp donkey next year. Maybe a moose draw will show up next time.......

Back