375 Ruger Ammo

Tom Kreher

Beginner
Jul 4, 2007
Is it safe to pull a 270 grain Hornady bullet and replace it with a 260 grain Nolser Partition bullet?
Who beside Hornady has commercial ammo for 375 Ruger.
Who has a 375 Ruger like Hawkeye Alaskan with left hand action?

Tom.................To my knowledge, the Ruger Alaskan is not available in left handed,,yet! However the African model is! Hornady is the only, on the shelf factory ammo that I know of! If I were you, I would not pull the 270 gr Hornadys and replace them with Noslers!.................I have fired 40 rounds so far through my new Ruger Alaskan which BTW, my neighbor (a Ruger freak), is going to buy it for the same out the door price that I paid for it last month.......Available in June, which I now have a deposit on, is the new Howa M1500`s chambered in the .375 Ruger! Almost the same as the Alaskan, equal in quality, but for about $400 less!......The M1500`s will use the same exact Hogue stock, but with a free floated barrel. M1500`s will use a 20" barrel w/iron sights, a Wby. Vanguard action, IMO a better designed 3 position safety as opposed to Ruger`s lever safety and I believe that the Howa`s will be more accurate from the bench!.....It`s almost the same rifle!.............Go to legacysports.com and view their `08 catalog only. The MSRP shows $589......Barrel length listed as a 24" will be a 20" instead. I called them and talked to an Andy McCormick, a VP! He is right now, shooting the prototype and told me that the barrel was not a 24" but instead a 20" and that they will not be available until June.............Try calling them directly and see if you can get one in left handed. If so, you`ll probably save alot of money! Their contact # is on their web site. With Legacy, you`ll talk more to the sources as opposed to Ruger`s staff, who generally are not aware of any future developments!!

Tom,

I have been wondering what Hornady/Ruger would do for a harder bullet in .375 Ruger, and this idea had occurred to me too. I have a flock of 270 gr FailSafe bullets just sitting there looking at me.

We used to do this in the service, pulling the 173 gr 7.62 match bullet from our match ammo and replacing it with the 168 Sierra Match King. This was so well known that after a while this "Mexican Match" was available from Lake City Arsenal. It is nice to have a full-up ballistic lab test your loads!

jim

Tom Kreher":2qfwnxam said:
Is it safe to pull a 270 grain Hornady bullet and replace it with a 260 grain Nolser Partition bullet?

Tom,

Welcome to the forum.

Its always a good (safe) idea to start low and work up when changing components. Not knowing what propellent Hornady is using could lead you into a bad situation. I would advise you to dump the powder and use a known powder to work up loads.

JD338

I have put over 150 rounds through my .375 African and havn't had any trouble with it cracking . . . YET :shock: Quite a few of these loads have been full house loads so I guess it is just a matter of time. Good thing they are replacing them with better ones. Anybody know if Brown or McMillain make stocks for these rifles yet? One more question that I have, On the Real Guns website with the 375 Ruger load info they list 74 gr. of IMR 4895. I shoot this load and it shoots great, Why have I never seen IMR 4895 as a poweder in any other load data? I havn't crono'd them yet but the web site claims 2955 fps, and I have never seen any data that says a 260 gr. AccuBond can be pushed that fast. Whats up with that?

I selected accuracy over Vel.......notice the 1/2" MOA load with Reloader 15 @ 75.0 with 260gr.

I went down too 72.0 of RL 15 with the same accuarcy and still get 375 HH vel......and its not hard on the gun.

I'm not trying to win any benchrest matches with a .375. The load of 74 gr. of IMR 4895 shoots five into 1 MOA with my gun and is 150 fps over the H&H, which is why I bought a .375 Ruger and not a H&H. I (and most other people) can't shoot the differece of 1 vs. 1/2 MOA in the field anyways, and I don't ever plan on shooting far enough to have it make a real difference.

Back