.44 mag cartridge, loading an old friend

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been through several .44 mag revolvers over the past 30 years, and eventually settled on what for me, is about perfect: a 5" 629.

Older photos I've used before:

Different bullets - factory ammo, but my favorite revolver:

Realized recently that my supply of loaded .44 mag ammo had dipped to precarious levels... So, this afternoon I did something about that.

Used the little Lyman turret press Fotis sold to me a while back, and pumped out a couple of boxes of ammo:

250 gr locally cast plain-base semi-wadcutter (a friend does a lot of bullet casting, I get these from him)

17 gr AA#9 - a load I've used for at least 12 years

CCI 300 large pistol primers

Winchester cases

All went well. This was the first time I'd used the turret press to load the .44, and I had to make a couple of minor die adjustments. The ammo looks good, and I have no worry about it performing. Typically I get about 1200 - 1250 fps when I use this recipe. Sure was nice to renew my acquaintance with an old friend - I honestly hadn't loaded any .44's in quite a while. At least two or three years. Only go through a few hundred every year, it's not a high-volume shooter like my .45 ACP.

Guy

Yeah buddy! :)

That's what I was thinking today. Before I plunged into the .44's, I finished up a few .45's and thought to myself "this might be the last time I use this press, and these dies, to load .45's..." :mrgreen:

Recently bought TD's Square Deal B - I thought it was high time I dedicated a progressive to .45 ACP loading... Really looking forward to using it!

Guy

I carry a smith 329NG as my general woods/water backup handgun. Carried in a chest holster its compact size and low weight make it about perfect. The XS Bigfoot sights are fast and accurate. Using 200gr Speer HP @ 1200fps for two legged predators and 300gr cast performance 300gr WFNGC @ 1100fps. Recoil is brisk but manageable.

7256bb520a926adce3f3a2f9f4fba38e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":3d93c4lz said:
Bee oil is brisk but manageable.

7256bb520a926adce3f3a2f9f4fba38e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know much about "Bee oil" :mrgreen: But I'll bet the recoil from that lightweight .44 is brisk indeed!

Nice handguns fellas. I love my 629 Classic with the 6.375" barrel for hunting.
I am in the market for a 629 2.5" for woods carry.

Guy, I really like the looks of that Keith style bullet. I need to look into getting some hard cast bullets for my S&W.

JD338

JD338":2usvgfl6 said:

Guy, I really like the looks of that Keith style bullet. I need to look into getting some hard cast bullets for my S&W.

JD338

I think you'll like how the 240-255 gr cast bullets shoot Jim. They seem to go with the 44 mag real well.

With a gas-check bullet, they can be run real hard. I tend to just hold 'em to 1250 fps or so, using plain base bullets & smile. With the flat meplat that's still a lot of WHUMP! (y)

I still like that Bee Oil idea though! :mrgreen:

Guy

DrMike":1stxikn1 said:
Is this Bee Oil marketed outside the USA?

Mike, its available with all magnum loads. Give it a try, you will get a kick out of it. :)

JD338

Guy Miner":3gxnxcgu said:
JD338":3gxnxcgu said:

JD338

I think you'll like how the 240-255 gr cast bullets shoot Jim. They seem to go with the 44 mag real well.

With a gas-check bullet, they can be run real hard. I tend to just hold 'em to 1250 fps or so, using plain base bullets & smile. With the flat meplat that's still a lot of WHUMP! (y)

I still like that Bee Oil idea though! :mrgreen:

Guy

Thanks Guy. I've got the bug for hard cast bullets. I know the big meplat hits hard for hunting loads but the Keith style is just plain cool.

JD338

Fotis - have you tried any cast bullet loads through that fine .44 revolver?

I've been loading a hard cast 250 grain Keith for my super Blackhawk. Like Guy, I keep them in the mid 1200's. They are extremely accurate and have no doubt they would penetrate until tomorrow. The only problem I have is they won't function in my Marlin lever gun. Just a tad too long:(. I don't want to modify the gun and don't really care to trim cases down to make them work. Guess I'll stick to some Hornady XTP's and Speer Deep Curls for the rifle.

Lefty - I got some shorter, pointier 240 gr cast bullets that would probably work fine through your Marlin. Not much of a meplat on them though. Greer's cast - used to be avail here at some of the gun shops. Must have bought the box years ago. Slowly working my way through them as well. They just don't look as cool as those Keith style 250's though!

BTW - guys have told me that some of the Marlins have a tough time re accuracy with many lead bullets - unless they're sized a little bigger than normal diameter. I don't recall how much different we're talking about though. Probably somebody over on one of the cast bullet forums has that info - or Marlin Owners maybe.

Guy

Guy, I think the accuracy issue came over the micro groove rifling. I've got an older marlin 336 with the standard rifling and it delivers good accuracy with lead bullets.

My Marlin has the standard rifling. Loaded single shot several times and accuracy was very good. I picked my bullets up from Leadhead Bullets after a friend gave me several to load up and try. I have only shot paper and dirt clumps with them but I sometimes pack that revolver bear hunting, on the slim chance I get a really close shot. I would love to see something drop to it.

I have a older Alaskan Baxckpacker SW 629 in 3"

I shoot the Federal GM factory Load with the 250 FPJ .......it's my camp gun here in Alaska.

I have had many 44 mag over the years......but this is my favorite.

That's one heck of a bullet... It doesn't really expand... Just knocks the snot out of stuff... (y)

I've got some 300 gr bullets and have shot them off and on for 25 years, but after seeing the performance of good 240-250 gr bullets, I'm not sure they're "needed."

Still have a couple of boxes of 300 gr cast though.

Guy

Back