6.5-06 AI?

M7025-06

Beginner
Jun 28, 2014
I've decided to re-barrel the 'ol 25-06 to 6.5-06 for no other reason than I want to mess with a different caliber and I've got an itch for a 6.5 mm. I'm leaning towards a Shilen #4 / 1-8'' twist / CM / cut to 24''-25''.

My plan is to utilize the pile of 25-06 brass I already have, which is why I decided on the '06 instead of the 284. From what I understand, all I have to do is run them through the full-length die and I'm set (on the standard case). I'm assuming if I went AI, the next step would be fire-forming?

My question is...is it worth it to AI it? Are the small gains in velocity offset by prolonged case life?

Anyone who has some pro & cons....I'm all ears.

Thanks.

I say do it AI if for no other reason than it looks way cooler with those nice square shoulders!

My buddy recently built a lightweight 6.5/06 AI. It's a very cool little round.

I would definitely get an extended mag box so you can seat those pencil shaped bullets out past normal COL.

402cae67b02b8bbb6a49c3fd369b76e7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both.
It depends on what you're looking for with it.
The regular 6.5-06 will run 140s in the sweet spot between 2900 and 2950. There's usually an accurate node around that speed. 130s will obviously run a little faster.
If you're looking for long range stuff then the 140s with the little added BC are your ticket.
The AI version I run 130s at a hair over 3100.
Mine are set up as hunting rifles, not heavier long range rigs. Both are 26" barrels as I'm tall with long arms and the balance just feels right to me. The AI is a PacNor #3 contour, the regular a Bartlein 2b.
Just my personal preference but if you do the AI and plan on running it fairly hard, I would do a 26" tube. Seems to let it show off with the slower burning powders.
I run H4831sc in the regular and either H1000 or RL26 in the AI.
You're on the right track necking up 25-06 brass. Easy to do, works perfectly. If you decide on the AI then you can do the Cream of Wheat method
http://www.6mmbr.com/260aiforming.html
Or load toward the top end of regular 6.5-06 loads and seat the bullet against the lands. If you're not against or very near the lands you can get incomplete forming or even some case separation. Fwiw I like fireforming as I use it to work on shooting mechanics.
Also, as I'm sure you found in checking the regular 6.5-06 versus the 6.5-284, ballistically they are practically twins.
As to the "is it worth it?" question....if you like a little "messing around with rifles", don't like trimming, or maybe feel like I do that AI cases look cool :grin: , then that's the way to go. I'm an AI guy so I am biased.

"The AI version I run 130s at a hair over 3100."

Just like a .270 Win! Cool. (y)

Fellow I know has a 6.5-06, medium weight rifle. He has used it for hunting game large & small, and rifle matches as well. Seemed like a great and very flexible rifle & cartridge to me.

Guy

just curious , what's the capacity difference between the AI and the standard ?

I think either are really cool rounds. Even having a 264 Win Mag and a 6.5 Swede I'd enjoy a 6.5-06 or the Improved version. Don't let the fireforming deter you too much. 50 well formed cases will last a long time in a hunting rifle and not worrying about case stretch or trimming is pretty A-OK in my book. Some slick 140 AB's, PTs or Ballistic Tips are bad medicine if you ask me. They will penetrate real well, defy the wind well and be easy on your shoulder too.

Dwh7271":1ax03dog said:
The regular 6.5-06 will run 140s in the sweet spot between 2900 and 2950. There's usually an accurate node around that speed.

That's what I was wondering myself. The regular 6.5-06 already has quite a bit of capacity. If you can push the high BC 140's around 2900 fps, then I believe it would already have the ballistics to do just about anything.

Thanks for input fellas.

I've been digging around the interwebz most of the afternoon and I think I'm settled on the 6.5-06 AI.

This idea has been rattling around my head for about a year and I kept talking myself out of it due to I already own a 280 and only run 140 gr'ers out of it. I finally said "what the heck"...I'm gonna do something with my 25-06. While I like the the caliber (25-06 that is), my rifle is in need of a new barrel so figured now is the time to do something different.

One thing about the 6.5-06 AI are getting my hands on a decent set of dies. I think I'll end up having Lee build me a custom collet neck die (and seater), but those are on a 2 month turnaround. I'm not sure what to do in the meantime. Can I use a standard 6.5-06 neck & seating die until the Lee's are ready? What would you guys recommend? This is already a somewhat expensive venture and I'm not too excited about dropping $100-200 on dies that I won't use when the Lee's are ready to go.

The Lee dies are fine.
You can use the AI dies for regular in a pinch but not vice versa. Having regular 6.5-06 dies is handy.
I run Redding for both the regular and AI versions as I like their dies. They're not the lowest priced dies but work well for my purposes. Measuring mine, they seem to give about the right neck tension for my loads.
You can use the AI dies to neck up if they're set up right. Remember the AI cartridge will be a hair shorter.(remember the slight crush fit on standard cases prior to fireforming, not that the crush changes it, the fireforming does :grin: )
I run both regular and AI dies as I have both.
Your 25-06 brass will do fine. Neck it up, load whatever you have figured on, light it off and you'll have an AI case. :grin:

just curious , what's the capacity difference between the AI and the standard ?

Around 68 regular, depending on the rifle
73-75 on the AI, again depending on the rifle

Seems like a fantastic plan. Always wanted a 6.5-06 or the AI version. I love all 6.5's lol

Don't overlook the 260 AI then :lol:

thanks Dewey . about what would be the difference between a 260 and a 260AI ? I'm guessing about 3 gr .

Don't know Jim, sorry. Don't have a regular 260, just the AI version.
I can tell you my load if that helps? 48.5 h4831sc with a 140 AB or BT. 2940 fps and very accurate.

Dwh7271":swq5pt1i said:
I can tell you my load if that helps? 48.5 h4831sc with a 140 AB or BT. 2940 fps and very accurate.

That is scooting for sure Dewey. That's a solid step up in performance.

Man, all this 6.5 talk is addicting.

Dwh7271":1qqnsh44 said:
The Lee dies are fine.
You can use the AI dies for regular in a pinch but not vice versa. Having regular 6.5-06 dies is handy.
I run Redding for both the regular and AI versions as I like their dies. They're not the lowest priced dies but work well for my purposes. Measuring mine, they seem to give about the right neck tension for my loads.
You can use the AI dies to neck up if they're set up right. Remember the AI cartridge will be a hair shorter.(remember the slight crush fit on standard cases prior to fireforming, not that the crush changes it, the fireforming does :grin: )
I run both regular and AI dies as I have both.
Your 25-06 brass will do fine. Neck it up, load whatever you have figured on, light it off and you'll have an AI case. :grin:

Thanks for the info.

If I'm understanding correctly...A set of AI dies will get me going off the bat.

What's the best way to set up the AI die to neck up a standard 25-06 case to 6.5?

Use the f/l resizing die to expand the neck.
Try seating as you normally would.

Should be fine for fireforming loads.

SJB358":fxu1lj2r said:
Dwh7271":fxu1lj2r said:

OP , sorry for cluttering up your thread .
thanks again Dewey . I've also had a 6.5 , of some type , itch for awhile . I found something I couldn't pass up . it should be here tomorrow , weather permitting .

jimbires":1yci021z said:
SJB358":1yci021z said:
Dwh7271":1yci021z said:

thanks again Dewey . I've also had a 6.5 , of some type , itch for awhile . I found something I couldn't pass up . it should be here tomorrow , weather permitting .

I like the sound of this Jim! Excited to see what you have.

jimbires":djbatwjx said:
SJB358":djbatwjx said:
Dwh7271":djbatwjx said:

It's all good. The more info, the better.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

So, in all reality, I'm excited to see your build. I love to see when we start shooting our newly built rifles. Dewey has worked me pretty hard to look for another cartridge, and I probably don't need another rifle right away....

Back