6.5-06

rjm158

Handloader
Oct 15, 2009
My LGS recently acquired a rifle in this caliber. It's a 98 Mauser action with unknown brand barrel and trigger in a walnut stock.

I have known of this caliber for many years but never owned one among my 6.5s. In researching it after seeing the rifle, it seems to me it is similar in performance to a 6.5 PRC. I know the differences in action action/case length, etc., but my main question is are there any pros/cons to the caliber? Does the PRC's case design allow it to surpass the 06 or are they as close as they appear on paper?

Thanks in advance.

Ron

6.5 PRC has a bit more muzzle velocity than the 6.5-06 but it burns more powder to achieve that advantage. Unless you are going to plan on reloading the 6.5-06, I would avoid it. Ammoseek shows no ammunition for that cartridge.

Last edited:
Pro: Wildcat = cool factor
Con: Wildcat = no factory brass or ammo - not an issue as you're a handloader

If you like the rifle and the price is attractive to you, go for it. At the end of the day, you may find that you like both the rifle and the cartridge. If you like the cartridge, and not the rifle, you can always sell it, and build your dream rifle in this cartridge and have even more fun!

I know that John Barsness writes favourably about the cartridge. If I were to build another LH wildcat rifle on a long action, this is at the top of the list of chamberings, to pair with my 280 and 338-06. Since I am working towards loads in the 280 with 150 gr bullets, I would most likely use the 130 gr AB in the 6.5-06.

I think the 6.5-06 would be a fun and effective cartridge for a lot of uses on game and targets. Just about anything done on the 30-06 is worthwhile to have. 25-06 brass is easy to find and simple to neck up in size. I say go for it. When I built a custom rifle it was one of the cartridges that I considered. I ended up going with the 280AI but the 6.5-06 would be a good one too.

David

This.
Super simple to take 25-06 brass and neck it up, then fireform it.
actually no necking needed, just take new 26/06 cases, prime them, charge with a top level (just below max.) charge of powder for the 6.5/06 standard cartridge, seat any .264 boattail bullet, and fireform.

actually no necking needed, just take new 26/06 cases, prime them, charge with a top level (just below max.) charge of powder for the 6.5/06 standard cartridge, seat any .264 boattail bullet, and fireform.
Okay wait, you don’t even run them through a FL 6.5-06 die? That necks them up

Okay wait, you don’t even run them through a FL 6.5-06 die? That necks them up
Or charge the case with 11 gr. of unique, fill to the top with corn meal, plug with a pice of paper towel, pack it tight, remove break if ya have one, watch barrel heat, point muzzle downward and fire form. the shoulders will form slightly rounded but will sharpen up nicely the first full power firing. and the rounded shoulders will not affect accuracy

Last edited:
A Mauser 98 is a classic. And you will feed it with metric bullets. Kind of...
If I weren't a lefty, I would have one for a long time. And 6,5-06 sounds very interesting

Let me explain, a 25/06 caseneck will measure about .259, why run it through a 6.5 die, the expander ball will expand it to .262, then resize it on the upstroke to about .260, then back to .262 on the down stroke. when all you have to do is seat a bullet? ever sized a 225 win to 7mm JDJ? thats expanding the case neck over .06 and it works fine, ever took a 444 marlin down to 375? new brass is easy to form. I found out how much you could move brass making 30 herrett cases from 30-30 win. so how hard is it expanding a case neck 7 thou.?

Back