6.5-300 Weatherby Mk V Ultra Lightweight

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Wow! :shock: Was doing some Christmas shopping today. Who doesn't go to the sporting goods store to do their Christmas shopping? And there on the rack was a brand spanking new 6.5-300 Wby Mk V Ultra Lightweight.

Dang.

Felt great. Looked great. Ballistics are impressive as is the accuracy promise.

Dang.

I put it back... :mrgreen:

Have this nice 4.5-14x Leupold just sitting around, gathering dust too... Dang...

Tempting!

Guy

Right now Fotis is disgusted with you and doesn't know why yet :lol:

It would be a flatliner that's for sure. I wonder what the barrel life would be like? I have thought about it a bit for when the barrel on my 264 Win Mag is burned out but not sure if I want the expensive brass and ammo. I would have preferred a 6.5 on the 257/270 wby case.

I don't suspect that an ultra-light rifle will be shot enough to burn out the barrel but who wants a 300WBY case in any configuration in an ultra-light.

Something along the lines of a 6.5-06 would make more sense to me. But it wouldn't be sexy and it probably wouldn't sell!! :lol: :lol:

Ya... Fortunately good rifle barrels are made every doggone day... :grin:

Putting it back was hard for me. I have had a couple of good-paying contracts lately and have some disposable cash on hand... But, buying myself Christmas presents just doesn't sit well with me.

As nice and light and handy as that rifle was, it would likely replace several of my other hunting rifles.

Guy

Charlie-NY":21koqcyb said:
I don't suspect that an ultra-light rifle will be shot enough to burn out the barrel but who wants a 300WBY case in any configuration in an ultra-light.

Something along the lines of a 6.5-06 would make more sense to me. But it wouldn't be sexy and it probably wouldn't sell!! :lol: :lol:

It would be so easy for me to re-barrel my .25-06 into a 6.5-06 when the time comes... (y)

Guy

Guy Miner":2ueu6cfp said:

Putting it back was hard for me. I have had a couple of good-paying contracts lately and have some disposable cash on hand... But, buying myself Christmas presents just doesn't sit well with me.

Guy

Guy,

You have clearly missed out on the marital Christmas spirit. You buy whatever you really want and give it to the wife to wrap up and put under the tree!! On Christmas morning you both enjoy a holiday chuckle when you act totally surprised to see that she was thoughtful enough to get you exactly what you wanted.

A perfect Christmas morning!!

Ya... That particular Christmas custom isn't going to fly here... :mrgreen:

I'd have a hard time passing that one up.

Of course, my wife and I are so particular about what we want...we usually just get what we want anyway.

Guy, I didn't need one either but I wanted one and have no regrets. Who cares about barrel life, at age 70 not to worried about barrel life. I Have a .270 wby. that has had hundreds of hot loads through it and it still shoots clover leafs.

69gto":1kac0zsl said:
Guy, I didn't need one either but I wanted one and have no regrets. Who cares about barrel life, at age 70 not to worried about barrel life. I Have a .270 wby. that has had hundreds of hot loads through it and it still shoots clover leafs.

How does it shoot and how do you like it? It would interesting to hear your impressions of it.

Gerry, my first one was a accumark, but scoped and ready to hunt it was almost 10 lbs., too much for a old man so I sold it and have an ultralite on order. The accumark shot 1/2 inch with 127g factory loads, never got around to trying my reloads yet. By the way the so called ultralight is still 8lbs. scoped so it is more of a middle weight.

Charlie-NY":3jwv8epc said:
Guy Miner":3jwv8epc said:

Guy

Guy,

You have clearly missed out on the marital Christmas spirit. You buy whatever you really want and give it to the wife to wrap up and put under the tree!! On Christmas morning you both enjoy a holiday chuckle when you act totally surprised to see that she was thoughtful enough to get you exactly what you wanted.

A perfect Christmas morning!!

Charlie- Guy has been married for a while. I think the ability to put it back is why. :) I Bought a nice 243 a few years ago "for the wife" as a donor for a 250 Savage conversion. That thing is a safe queen 'cause every time I take it out she gives me "the look". Just takes the fun out of it.....call me weak or whatever :( :) :) :) :) We give each other cr@p but us lucky ones know better. (y) CL

It would be a shame to see a perfectly good .25 fall victim to a 6.5 conversion though IMHO :)

69gto":21mno3eh said:
Gerry, my first one was a accumark, but scoped and ready to hunt it was almost 10 lbs., too much for a old man so I sold it and have an ultralite on order. The accumark shot 1/2 inch with 127g factory loads, never got around to trying my reloads yet. By the way the so called ultralight is still 8lbs. scoped so it is more of a middle weight.

10 lbs is pretty heavy, the 8 lbs of the "ultralight" sounds much better. Hope you let us know how the new gun works. This is one round where a mono bullet like the 127 gr LRX sounds like a good idea.

gerry":3embr9wx said:
Right now Fotis is disgusted with you and doesn't know why yet :lol:

It would be a flatliner that's for sure. I wonder what the barrel life would be like? I have thought about it a bit for when the barrel on my 264 Win Mag is burned out but not sure if I want the expensive brass and ammo. I would have preferred a 6.5 on the 257/270 wby case.

Oh I got mine! Used it too! :mrgreen:

127 LRX at 3550 with RL33

What's up with the 28" barrel on all the 6.5-300? It is the only Mark V that has it.

It has to be to keep the velocity crown from the 26 Nosler. I think I would have to cut it.

They have 26 in. barrels, the ultralite shows 28 in. because it comes with muzzle brake. The velocity crown is from larger case capacity.

69gto":292sj9f9 said:
They have 26 in. barrels, the ultralite shows 28 in. because it comes with muzzle brake. The velocity crown is from larger case capacity.

Ah. I didn't see the brake listed. I could do without that.

Guy,
I know away around this technical problem you have!
I will go ahead and purchase the gun, send it out as a Christmas present from Santa, for being such a good boy all year, and no ones the wiser!
Later on you can just square me up and bingo, you get your dream gun without the guilt trip or upsetting the normal
Christmas traditions. (y)
(Personally I would fallow your instincts, and screw a 6.5/06 barrel on your 25 and never look back! Lol :lol:

Back