7mm-08 160 gr Accubond

tecumseh

Handloader
Oct 20, 2010
Had mixed results with a 160 gr AB in my 7mm-08 using RL-17 and tried em with 49 gr H4831sc with a Fed 210 LR Primer.

Attachments

• A042E6E5-FBBA-470D-99DD-5E6FD4F59B02.jpeg
    A042E6E5-FBBA-470D-99DD-5E6FD4F59B02.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,215
  • 5E961190-C988-4308-9AEF-6A8077A28E50.jpeg
    5E961190-C988-4308-9AEF-6A8077A28E50.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,214
I wouldn’t complain about that group. Any idea what velocity you’re getting?

"How in the name of John Moses Browning is that mixed results" +1!!! I'd tickled to death with that group, and that load should be a do-all in the 7mm-08!! CL

That looks like a great load to me.
I'm in the market for a 7mm-08 for my wife.
With that load and accuracy, she could hunt
most anything in North America.

JD338

fightthenoise":1bt0xlov said:
How in the name of John Moses Browning is that mixed results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With RL-17 it would print a great group one day and look like I was shooting a shotgun the next with this bullet! Decided to try a slower burning powder and see if that would solve things? Yesterday was the first go with H4831sc.

Was that hole 4" right and 2 1/2" up part of the 5 shots?? If so, I'd call that mixed results! That ring around the ogive must be from your seating die - maybe enough to distort the jacket? Also appears that the polymer tip has been shoved back and squashed out at it's base. Kinda looks like more force than usual needed to seat the bullets, and a poor fit on the seater. Forgive me for being picky, can't help it sometimes!

EE2.

EE2 , probably Hornady dies , I've seen it before with accubonds . Hornady makes a different seating plug for use with these different style bullets . compressed loads makes it worse .

Just my to lame a$$ $0.02 worth. Great group, impressive. How-sum-ever.....Why a 160 ?

I really don't see the 160 as that useful, except under some extreme circumstances, when the 140 AB (or 150BT) would expand your possibles/probabilities by a Huge margin.

What is your mindset?

I personally like heavy for caliber bullets, I don’t own a 7-08 but it is a sweet cartridge. If it will shoot 160’s it even better!

I shoot my 308 with 180-220, heavy as one will shoot is the perfect load.

elkeater2":1nzyzg2s said:
Was that hole 4" right and 2 1/2" up part of the 5 shots?? If so, I'd call that mixed results! That ring around the ogive must be from your seating die - maybe enough to distort the jacket? Also appears that the polymer tip has been shoved back and squashed out at it's base. Kinda looks like more force than usual needed to seat the bullets, and a poor fit on the seater. Forgive me for being picky, can't help it sometimes!

EE2.

That hole is from s load I worked up for my 22-250. I’m using a Redding seating die. This rifle likes 150 gr bullets best out of everything I’ve tried out of so far.

Nice! Mine liked 160 accubonds, too. I was using a max load of IMR 4350 and getting a bit over 2500fps. Not a flat shooter, but certainly capable.

That hole is from s load I worked up for my 22-250. I’m using a Redding seating die. This rifle likes 150 gr bullets best out of everything I’ve tried out of so far.[/quote]

Well in that case, I wouldn't change a thing!! Still wonder about the mashed tip though! :grin:
EE2

Gunner46":3n99pnvv said:
Just my to lam$$ $0.02 worth. Great group, impressive. How-sum-ever.....Why a 160 ?

I really don't see the 160 as that useful, except under some extreme circumstances, when the 140 AB (or 150BT) would expand your possibles/probabilities by a Huge margin.

What is your mindset?

I'm thinking about trying some 162gr Eld-Ms in mine actually. For me, the reason is wind drift. The high BC bullet has a decent advantage in the wind.

My buddy, Northwoods, loved the 160 Accubonds out of his 7m-08. He considered it great deer medicine. I have a Sako model 75 in 7m-08. Absolutely love the rifle but run BT 120’s and AccuBond 140’s out of it.

Long

If I’m gonna run 140’s it’s gonna be out of a 6.5 Creedmoor. Higher BC and significantly higher SD. The benefit to the 7mm-08 from my perspective is those heavies.

in the '08 and well constructed bullets like the AB, I find the increased velocity of the 140 desirable. More expansion/tissue damage.

Great shooting. I’ve got a 7-08 Tikka that I’m looking forward to warming up some.

Nothing wrong with a high BC bullet. Not as much difference in trajectory as some may think, and as DCJ noted, the increased BC doesn’t stink in the retained energy and speed at distance.

Back