7mm-08 Bullet Weight/ Twist Rate

KinleyWater

Handloader
Jun 15, 2019
Learned colleagues,

I was in a LGS the other day with my accountant and she discovered she was enamored to a Savage Axis XP Compact (youth), which was available in two calibers; .243 and 7mm-08. She is going to research which one she wants more, and then ask me what I think, and ultimately chose the 7mm-08, no matter what. Okay, that's a kid, but it is the more likely of the two, which leads to my actual question:

Savage's website lists that model as having a 1:9.5 twist for the barrel (20 inches), and I would like to know what bullet weights would typically work for that twist. Or, in the from of a question - what bullets weights typically work in a 20 inch long 1:9.5 twist 7mm-08 barrel?

Trying to do some planning beyond buying her some 140 factory loads.

Thanks all!

Pretty much anything except for the long, heavy monos and sleek bullets like the heavier ABLRs and ELD-X/Ms will work. Berger has a stability calculator that's fairly accurate.

I would personally use 120gr-140gr bullets. The 131 Hammer (if you like monos) is a great compromise of the range. Can't go wrong with the 140gr AccuBond or Ballistic Tip, if you can find them. 120gr TTSX would also be a good option.

Excellent advice that nhenry has provided. The 1/9.5 twist will handle about anything from 120 grain pills to 160 grain pills, delivering them with decent accuracy.

It probably would work OK with bullets up to 175 gr. in standard types but not so much with the heavier monometal types. Anyway, going past a 160 gr. bullet would take up too much powder space. Some people even say a 160 would take up too much space unless the gun had a long enough magazine.
I'm running a 7x57 Mauser rifle loaded using 7-08 data. I can easily push a 150 gr. Nosler Partition to 2800 FPS plus using Rl17 with no pressure signs and decent case life. That's my chosen load for elk BTW. My rifles have 22" barrels but I think 2700 FPS plus should be fairly easy from that 20" barrel. Seems most people choose bullets in the 139/140 gr. weight for their work with the 7-08.
Paul B.

If she's bound and determined to get that rifle, at least have her get the Axis II, which has the AccuTrigger.

The regular Axis trigger is just plain horrid, even if you try to massage it. I've tried.
The only option then is to spend $100+ on the Timney replacement which then makes it at least tolerable.

I agree with DR. Vette , the axis trigger is awful . I helped a young girl get started shooting . she had an axis . if I remember right the trigger was around 8 pound pull .

I've shot a lot of deer with my 7mm-08 using the 139 BTSP Hornady bullet , IMR 4064 powder .

the 120gr ballistic tip has the reputation of a deer getter .

if you would want , or need , to duplicate the recoil of a 243 using 100 gr bullets .
H4895 39.0 grains , 120 nosler ballistic tip bullet .
Denise has shot one whitetail with this load . I have no complaints , it worked well .

I agree with DR. Vette , the axis trigger is awful . I helped a young girl get started shooting . she had an axis . if I remember right the trigger was around 8 pound pull .
My daughter has one (pink camo), and thankfully she's a good shot and has done well with it.

A friend had me tune his Axis in 30-06 for an elk hunt this past season. I tried the M-Carbo kit, which helped only nominally. I just ordered the Timney, installed it and gave the owner the bill.
I also filled the rear of the stock with foam, and the rest of the stock with epoxy, then painted it olive green with black flecks.

Frankly I'd spend my money on a Wby Vanguard Camilla, or a Savage Lady Hunter - if you can find one.
Much better rifles in every respect which won't need any massaging.

On the one and only Savage Axis I owned and actually never shot, I got the trigger really nice, but it took work. Stoned and polished the trigger face and polished the sear, installed a overtravel screw to eliminate the bad overtravel, Took 2 washers of correct I.D. and sanded them down to around .015 thickness and installed them on the trigger hinge pin 1 on each side between the trigger and the housing to take up the side slop in the trigger. Installed a lighter spring. Actually installed the lighter spring first and it was somewhat lighter, but still gritty and creepy, so I done the rest.

End result was a trigger that was tested dozens of times on a wheeler trigger scale and it broke consistently just under 3 lbs. Clean and crisp, I can't see how a Timney could've been better, but took a lot of fooling and work to get it there.

We have the same twist in a 10 Hunter, and so far I've found success with 120 BT's, 140 NP and AB's, 145 GS, and 150 Scenar. and 150 ELD, with the scenar being the most accurate, and the 140 AB and NP following close behind. The 145 Grand Slam was the worst performer, but still about 1.5 MOA. Now it's the 119 Absolute hammer that's in que for testing. I'd bet with the 162 ELD-X or any bullet in that weight class, you could find success.

Well, thanks for the info, all. It's always nice to know I can get good, solid, and gentlemanly advice in this forum. That said -

I was absolutely, completely, and totally wrong. Had a conversation today, and she says she'd like the .243 because she want's something to fill the role for varmint and smaller critters up to deer. Which is not only great to know she's thinking about things like that, but also proves that after 22 years, I still have no idea what goes on inside her head. Love is a many splendored thing.

Back