7mm 168 ABLR tough or too soft?

preacher

Handloader
Aug 19, 2012
My 280 will shoot this 168 ABLR a solid 2750 with scary accuracy. Zeroed +1@100 I'm spot on at 200, so it is indeed a long, slick bullet. My concern is how does this bullet hold up at under 75yds on game, especially solid critters like hog and elk? I've heard a few experiences, but mostly from magnum users. I'm thinking my 2750 MV shouldn't stress it, but what have you guys experienced with them? Are they as stout as the regular AccuBond? Thanks. :grin:

Jim,

Haven't used the 168 grain ABLR on game, but I have taken a six-by-six elk at 75 yards and a 4X4 mule deer at 30 yards with the 150 grain ABLR at a muzzle velocity of 3000 fps. The animals appeared to die as they should. At least they obliged me by dropping in their tracks and remaining dead long enough for me to skin them. I'd be comfortable with the 168 grain ABLR at 2750 on big game.

Thanks Doc! I remember you saying that about the 150. My old 7mm Express barrel ( on the other Mod 700 classic a couple years ago I had converted to 7mm Mag) is being screwed back on this newer Mod 700 classic .280 ( the 280 barrel had a good rough patch midway down the bore.) Anyhow. 57gr of R22 makes this 168 ABLR cluster very well! I was amazed at how flat it shot, at least to 200yds. That is in my "average" kill zone, ha. I have shot more game up close than afar off, so tougher bullets work better for me. I'm going to try that sierra 175BT too, but it seems it would be better for elk. I like all my rifles to be "elk capable" as I always take two with me to camp.
Oh yeah...the 7mm Rem Mag. I shot it awhile and then discovered a hairline crack in the action in the bolt handle slot. It was OK, I just don't care for "OK" anymore at this stage of my life. ha ( I'm a tad over Middle Age, crowding 64. Its "middle" if you live to 120! That's my goal and I'm stickingto it! :))

Jim,

I shot three 7mm 168 gr ABLR's into water jugs and recovered them, all in the 5th jug.
Distance to jugs was 40 yds
Temperature was 13* F
The rifle/load was 280AI and 60.0 grs RL 22 which produced a MV of 2936 fps 12' from the muzzle.

From L to R-
.501" 74.9 grs; .503" 73.5 grs; .490" 76.5 grs
DSCN05401.jpg

This bullet is more than up to the task up close on big game.

JD338

That's encouraging JD.
I'm getting 3025 w 168LRABs 10 feet from the muzzle in my 280AI
Load is 65 grs of H1000

HTDUCK":1tmr7kjq said:
That's encouraging JD.
Load is 65 grs of H1000
Howard,

That's impressive speed. How is the accuracy?

JD338

Hey! I'll take 5 jugs of water as a good test any day! I don't mind a bit of bullet fragmenting, but I really do like sufficient penetration. As far as bloodshot meat goes, hey, that's what Knives and coyotes are for! :)

JD338":yobtrfs6 said:
HTDUCK":yobtrfs6 said:
That's encouraging JD.
Load is 65 grs of H1000
Howard,

That's impressive speed. How is the accuracy?

JD338

Three shot cloverleaf at 100.
Haven't shot it past that, had some minor surgery and can't shoot for another week or so.

The 175 grain AccuBond Long Range bullets go completely through a broadside elk at 1,138 yards. See the 28 Nosler Long Range Elk post.

My 280 didn't care for the 175 ABLR, I don't think my twist was fast enough. My last 7mm Rem Mag ( also a Remingtob factory barrel, liked the Sierra 175 SBT, but still no joy with that long Nosler 175 ABLR. It makes perfect sense to me in a magnum though. Nice bull you took there!

Last weekend, I witnessed 2 cow Moose taken down with 7mm mags using Accubonds the first one was at approximately 300 yards it was a tag team effort one was using 160gr. ABs and the other was using 168gr. ABLRs. The first shot was the 160gr. she was dead but she hadn't realized it yet and jumped a fence the second shot dropped her right there. When field dressing her the bullets had entered about a 1" apart high behind the right shoulder both broke a rib going in and both exited leaving 1" holes both entering & exiting. The top half of the lungs were destroyed.
The second one was my nephew using the 168gr. ABLRs and he made a text book lung shot again making a 1" hole both entering & exiting the distance according the range finder was 280 yards.
I would really like to find the bullet in the animal once :wink: but on the other hand I am glad to have 3 Moose in getting processed :mrgreen:.
I guess after reading this post it is not answering the initial question my apologies :p.

Blessings,
Dan

I wouldn't worry about any of the ABLRs at 2750 Jim. I think they probably come into their element as the speed drops off.

Yep, I figured they will work further out, I guess my main concern was how they would do in the black timber/aspen edges, usually for me around 75yds. 5 jugs of water penetration at a higher speed than my baby answered that, ha! That was a good write up Uncle Dan on those meese! I almost never ever shoot past 300 or so at game, but when I do, I like penetration and game down! Thanks Pard.

I have the 168 ABLR shooting very well out of my 280 AI doing 2950 fps. That load has taken 1 cow elk and now one buck.

The cow elk was about 80 yards quartering towards us. The shooter put it right on the point of he shoulder. She ran about 50 yards. We lost sight of her, but heard her cough a couple of times then crash to the ground. Upon inspection we discovered that the bullet had not exited the far side of the rib cage. Broke the near shoulder, and destroyed the lungs, but not much else. This worried me. I figured it might be a fluke. Fast forward two years to deer season....

My brother was shooting at a buck, maybe 100 yards away. Thumped him square in the shoulder dropping him in his tracks. Again, near shoulder broke, lungs a mess, bullet lodged in the far shoulder without breaking it.

Both critters passed rather quickly after being shot so I have no complaints there. Meat damage was not bad either, I guess I just expected more penetration from a bonded bullet. I know they are designed to expand rapidly then hold together on the back 1/3 of the bullet, but I was a bit shocked when it didn't blow through a big buck at 100 yards.

A regular AccuBond they are not. Those regular AB will truck through a lot of meat before they stop. But they also don't typically have the "shock factor" that results in more "drop right in their tracks" shots.

Thanks Jmad...that is still a lot to ask for a bullet, after breaking the front shoulder, screwing up the lungs, I have no doubt it lodged in the far shoulder. they do look soft up front to me, which is fine for what I want. It is that solid base, thicker jacket at the bottom and some bonding that appeals to me. I shot a lot of game with the old Nosler solid Base, non- bonded, but sure made well. Maybe, at my 2750fps, I just might get a tad more penetration, but who really knows? My main thing...it is one flat shooting devil, +1"@100 = spot on @200yds in my girl! wow. I can "finesse" him with a burr of the ear shot with a load like that! :)

My 280 will shoot this 168 ABLR a solid 2750 with scary accuracy. Zeroed +1@100 I'm spot on at 200, so it is indeed a long, slick bullet. My concern is how does this bullet hold up at under 75yds on game, especially solid critters like hog and elk? I've heard a few experiences, but mostly from magnum users. I'm thinking my 2750 MV shouldn't stress it, but what have you guys experienced with them? Are they as stout as the regular AccuBond? Thanks. 😁
I know this was many moons ago but can you remember how far off jam you were?

The only ABLR bullet I've messed with is the 7MM 150 gr. which I wanted to use in my 7x57 rifles. Accurcy just ain't ha[[ening with them so I tried with my .280 Rem. with more dismal results. Too bad as it's a good looking bullet and I think would have been a good choice for the 7x57 for deer and probably elk.
Paul B.

Back