7mm Rem Mag Finished

I'm deeply sorry to hear about your loss. I can't even imagine. Your family will be in my prayers.

Everyone here is touched by the grief you are experiencing, Joe. I am aware of several among the regular posters who have suffered the death of a child. We are pulling for you.

Joe I am so sorry for the loss of your son. Appreciate his service to our country and hope and pray for comfort, healing for you and your family. Dan.

Condolences to you and your family, Joe. Praying for you all and may the Lord bring you comfort.
Blessings, Allen

The final touch is on the way. I bought a Timney trigger upgrading the factory trigger. This rifle got out of hand rather quickly. Don’t get me wrong it’s the most accurate rifle I own and I love it, but the only thing I haven’t upgraded is the receiver and serial number. But damn she’s pretty, and a shooter to boot. I was going to give it to my son but he passed unexpectedly while on active duty Aug 7th. I suppose I’ll keep it as my own and save it for my grandson when he’s old enough. I must admit I’m feeling very lost right now.
Joe, I am sorry to hear of your loss. I can understand you feeling lost right now buddy. Scotty

Well I got the new Timney installed and adjusted. It really is like a thin stick of glass breaking under your finger With no over travel. I’m going to get out tomorrow and shoot it for a few hours. Maybe the time alone will settle me somewhat. I don’t really have any words for my loss. It’s an unrelenting pain I wish upon no one. I’m just marking time for now. I appreciate you all more than you probably realize.

The final touch is on the way. I bought a Timney trigger upgrading the factory trigger. This rifle got out of hand rather quickly. Don’t get me wrong it’s the most accurate rifle I own and I love it, but the only thing I haven’t upgraded is the receiver and serial number. But damn she’s pretty, and a shooter to boot. I was going to give it to my son but he passed unexpectedly while on active duty Aug 7th. I suppose I’ll keep it as my own and save it for my grandson when he’s old enough. I must admit I’m feeling very lost right now.
My condolences to you and your family, I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Joe,

I can't even imagine losing one of my kids. That must be about the hardest thing to ever go through. If you need help in any way reach out to someone, either here or local friends/family. I'm sure there are plenty of people willing to talk, myself included, if you need someone to listen or for advice. It sounds like your trying to keep busy though, which I'm sure will help deal with the pain.

Nathan

Thank you all for the support I’ve received from everyone. I can’t put it into words. I pray that I’m the last father or mother to ever feel this.

Well, trying to move on, it turns out the Timney trigger wasn’t the last of it. I ordered a one piece bottom metal from PT&G to replace the plastic. It requires a good bit of inletting, so if your not confident you can do it allow them to do it for you. It’s fits perfectly, very strong and sturdy, impeccable workmanship, and it now will accept 3.715” AICS magazines. COAL is supported to 3.615” OAL. Which will shine with 180 and up Berger’s, and 175gr ELDX bullets. The stock action screws are lacking in length to say the least. McMaster-Carr took the stress out of the fastener phase. Try finding 1/4x32 black oxide screws with 170,000 psi tensile strength. Cleaned everything with a tap and die, and went together quite nicely. They also have any other hard to find gunsmithing fasteners you may need, and then some. Took them two days to be on my front door. When I was inletting the bottom metal I removed the bedding material for the action to assist with inletting. Once I get the action re-bedded and bottom metal bedded I’ll post photos.

No exaggeration, the only things left that I could replace are the barrel nut, and bolt head. Funny how “small projects” take on a like of their own. In my defense though. last time at the range with it I found 10 160gr partitions loaded ove 65 grains of RL23. 9 out of 10 went into less than half inch. I pulled one about an inch to the right. I’ll post pics once I get all the bedding finished.

Last edited:
I haven’t bedded the action or bottom metal yet but the difference in the factory plastic junk and the thick one piece bottom metal is like a different rifle when the action clamps down.

I have approximately 5-6 hours inletting bottom metal to the Boyd’s stock. Others could have probably done it more quickly. However I took my time and made sure the chisels stayed razor sharp. Once you start inletting your 100% committed. There’s no turning back once you start. I’m finished with it (I think).

Not sure if I’ll upgrade the Burris Fullfield II 4.5x14x42 scope or not. It doesnt have the Leupold name but it’s solid on zero (doesn’t wander) and very clear. Only thing I’d like is to have side focus instead of an AO, but that’s just laziness on my part.

The only thing possible to replace at this point is the action tube, bolt head, and barrel nut. i didn’t intend to go so deep into this rifle but did anyway. On the up side I’ve turned it into the finest all-range hunting rifle I’ve ever had in may hands. At least I think so, but I’m biased. Next time I’ll just buy a Christensen. LOL.

Here are a couple photos of the bottom metal without bedding. It’s not crooked, the rifle was canted. (EDITED)

Attachments

• F391C6FF-EFDB-456C-8125-96BEB41ED949.jpeg
    F391C6FF-EFDB-456C-8125-96BEB41ED949.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 35CC9EFA-8137-4F96-8B9C-900ADA0884E4.jpeg
    35CC9EFA-8137-4F96-8B9C-900ADA0884E4.jpeg
    226.3 KB · Views: 13
  • F9746458-BD99-44ED-94C9-9718DBB9D8A1.jpeg
    F9746458-BD99-44ED-94C9-9718DBB9D8A1.jpeg
    240.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Beautiful rifle Joe. Your craftsmanship is resulting in one heck of a rifle. Nicely y.

JD338

Once it’s bedded I think I’ll be able to wrap it up. Not a terrible job for a home workshop.

Attachments

• 1926EFDE-0D8B-44C8-8952-CC128052048E.jpeg
    1926EFDE-0D8B-44C8-8952-CC128052048E.jpeg
    342.5 KB · Views: 8
  • DA483DA7-625C-4F1A-BB71-BDECA161FFD6.jpeg
    DA483DA7-625C-4F1A-BB71-BDECA161FFD6.jpeg
    527.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 00DEB5AA-AB40-4D1C-B53F-F928FEEF4D58.jpeg
    00DEB5AA-AB40-4D1C-B53F-F928FEEF4D58.jpeg
    698.1 KB · Views: 8
  • F02C2D43-2EA2-4E2B-952A-94EAE890A153.jpeg
    F02C2D43-2EA2-4E2B-952A-94EAE890A153.jpeg
    349.1 KB · Views: 8
Looks great, and a fine job working up loads and marksmanship. I look forward to seeing the game it takes.

Back