7x30 blues!

jhalcott

Beginner
Dec 15, 2004
:cry: I went to the range today with my 7x30 Contender,14" & 2x7 scope. I tried a handload and a factory load.The handload used Sierra's 130 SSSP bullet and a charge of 748 powder. Factory ammo is loaded with a 120 flatpoint. The factory load shot under 2 inches,and also higher on the target in relation to POA by about 1 ".MY reloads went into 2 1/2" or more! The hand load seems hotter, more recoil & flatter primers than factory. The bullets are seated to nearly touch the rifling,so I think I'll back off the COL before fiddling with the powder charge. The load works MUCH better in several other 7x30's belonging to friends.Not top of the list charge but not lowest either!
Merry Christmas to all!
Ps, I could hit clay birds with it at 50 yards, standing -either load!

jhalcott,

I also shoot a T/C Contender 14" in 7x30 Waters with a Nikon Monarch 2.5x8 scope. This handgun is extreamly accurate and will out shoot a few of my buddies who are using rifles!
Try these loads but use normal reloading precautions and work up carefully:

120 gr BT
34.5 grs Varget
Fed Case
FedGM210M
COL 2.864"
best 3 shot group at 100 yds .225"
This load has EXCESSIVE muzzle flash! Use caution when working up this load.

120 gr BT
33.5 grs IMR 4895
best 3 shot group at 100 yds .747"

120 gr BT
35.0 grs RL15
best 3 shot group at 100 yds .700"

Hope this help you out.

Regards,

JD338

:) Hey, I have a 7x30 TC in a 14'' also, shoots pretty good too, but mine is open sights. I have hit a 8'' steel plate at 200 yards 5 time in a row. Somedays I shoot good & somedays I don't. Try your loads again before giving up to try others..

I have a 7-30 waters I shoot 140gr b-tips I dont remember the load but it will shoot .5"@100 yds with a rest I will have to go down to my shop and get the load for you. it was with varget powder cci primers but I cant remember the charge
a friend of mine showed me a TC video and it said the 7-30 shot a 500 meter group that was 3" :shock:

Sorry about being away so long. I removed the Simmons scope and mounted my 2.5x8 Leupold on the barrel. Using the same ammo as before I got sub MOA 5 shot groups from the gun! Using a few other loads I consistently got inch or less groups. Of course I used sand bags as a rest. The barrel that had the Leupold on it shot sub inch groups. With the Simmons on top, it was a 2 incher??? I never thought a scope could make THAT much difference!

I am also using a 14" barrel with a 3-9 Burris. I have had great results with the 140 Nosler Partition / 28 gr. 2230S surplus powder ( by AA) //CCI primers // Nickel Fed. cases. Always shoot under 1"MOA. Zero at 100 yds and using the same data for the 120 r. Bal.Tip- it is 1 1/2 inches high.

I use the same data with my 16 " barrel carbine sighted at 200 yds and was able to get 2 antelopes with it last year. Hope to get one this year with the pistol and another one with my Redhawk 41 Mag.

My Nickel brass is about gone so I am working some loads with 30-30 fireformed brass.

I love that Partition bullet! 7 mm, 243, 300WM, 338!

Good shooting!
Jim

Back