A couple of 10/22's.

Larry in SD

Handloader
Nov 8, 2004
Since I like my AR-15, and I like shooting the .22 LR Rimfire this seemed like the logical thing to do.

A couple years ago I bought a used 10/22 from a buddy with a project in mind. This 10/22 was really rough but after hours of polishing and scrubbing it actually started looking good and to my surprise shot quite well. With that said the build could begin.

NordicAR-22ReceiverChassis.jpg

Enter the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit. This 3 piece kit is designed to house the 10/22 barreled action and then any AR-15 Buttstock, Pistol Grip and Free Float tube can be added to complete the package.

Nordic10-22.jpg

For this first build I wanted something about the size and shape as my Bushmaster ORC 16" M4 .223. The reason would be twofold. First of all it would be a practice weapon, and secondly it would fit in the overhead gun rack for my Bushmaster.

First off I did a complete Action / Trigger Job consisting of polishing all of the fire control parts to a mirror finish. Still not happy with the trigger pull I opted to replace the factory hammer with a Volquartsen Target Hammer (which I also polished). I also chamfered / radiused the rear of the bolt so it cycles smoother while cocking the hammer, set the headspace on the bolt and pinned the firing pin (these last two modifications are said to eliminate fliers).

The little skinny carbine barrel looked sort of goofy sticking out of that free float tube so I had the barrel shortened and recrorwned at 16 1/2" and added a Green Mountain Aero Barrel Shroud to give it the look of a bull barrel without the added weight.

I topped it off with a Weaver 3x9x32mm AO Rimfire Classic Riflescope in Weaver 1" High Quad Lock Scope Rings mounted to Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Risers to get the scope the right height above the comb of the stock.

For a buttstock I used an AR Stoner 6 Position Collapsable Buttstock & Buffer Tube. I added a Command Arms Accessories UPG-16 Pistol Grip and a DPMS Carbine Length Free Float Tube.

This 10/22 ended up shooting better than I thought a 10/22 with a factory carbine barrel could shoot. I also really liked the feel and ergonomics of this gun so I decided to build another one.

I shoot Indoor Bench Rest Competition each winter at a local indoor shooting range. I wanted this next build to be suitable for this competition.

BullBarrelNordic10-22.jpg

Again I started with a used 10/22 I picked up and sold the original barrel and stock. This time I sent the trigger group off to TT Shooter for one of Todd's Precision Trigger Jobs. I knew from pervious experience that Todd's trigger jobs are better than I can achieve and I wanted this one as good as I could get it. I wasn't sorry as it came back super crisp at 2 1/4 pounds but it doesn't feel nearly that heavy.

I then added a Green Mountain 20" Stainless Fluted Barrel. I attach the barrel to the receiver with a Tactical Solutions V Block which is said to be cut at an angle to help eliminate barrel droop with a free floated barrel.

Next up I did all the bolt modifications I had done to the first 10/22 build, and finally assembled everything in the Nordic Components AR-22 Receiver Chassis Kit. I added a Model 1 Sales A2 Buttstock with 1" DPMS Buttstock Extension, Command Arms Accessories UPG-16 Pistol Grip and a Model 1 Sales Rifle Length Aluminum Free Float Tube.

On top I mounted a Weaver 40/44 6.5x20x44mm AO Duplex Riflescope in Weaver 1" High Quad Lock Scope Rings mounted to Yankee Hill Machine 1/2" Risers.

I recently completed my Indoor Bench Rest League with this new 10/22 shooting Wolf Match Target Ammo. I shot my best total ever. We shoot the USBR Target which has 25 bullseyes on each target for score. The 10 Ring measures .100". To score a 10 the bullet only needs to touch the 10 ring but to score a X the bullet must obliterate the 10 ring so no portion of the 10 ring is visible outside of the bullet hole.

We shoot a 6 week league for a total possible score of 1500-150x for the year. Shooting this new 10/22 I managed a 1499-72x this year.

The Ruger 10/22 is the Tinker Toy of the Gun World and only your imagination is the limiting factor on how you can build one.

Larry

Very nice! Looks like fun, a lot of fun.

JD338

Thanks guys. I guess I am just a rimfire fanatic.

Prior to building these two I built a Custom Ruger 77/22 a few years back.

CustomRugerK7722.jpg

This one started out as a Stainless-Synthetic All Weather 77/22. I had to buy the Bottom Metal (Trigger Guard, Mag Well and Screws) for a VBZ version to put it in the Volquartsen Laminated Wood Stock. It has had a complete trigger job done on it with an adjustable overtravel stop added for a super crisp 1 1/2 pound trigger pull. I shot it for a year and then decided to reshape the stock some. I mainly reshaped the wrist area of the stock, lowered it and recontoured it. The barrel is a 20" Stainless-Steel Clark Custom Guns Bull Barrel that started life out as a Lothar\Walther Barrel Blank.

CustomRuger7722-1.jpg

This one will do 1" or slightly less for 5 shots at 100 yards in no wind conditions with Wolf Match Target Ammo.

Larry

Rimfire fanatics have discovered a woefully neglected secret--shooting rimfires is great fun!

Back