A matter of perspective.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Saturday I done a little shooting here at the house with a 22 I haven't picked up since last yr.

Gets to this time of the yr I like to start practicing from field positions. I do the majority of my hunting sitting somewhere propped off my knees, or walking where I'd take off hand shots, so those 2 forms is how I practice.

Standing position just going for hits and not groups...used an 11"H X 8.5"W piece of office paper. Figure that keeps me well between the backbone and brisket of a deer and narrow enough to keep it in the lungs.

Set up at 50 yds. It's a perishable skill that takes practice, but I was pleased overall for the 1st of the yr. 7 of the shots measure 2" high, x 2" wide. The other 3 make the total group 4.5"H x 4"W.

50 yds, iron sighted 22 with a short 15" sight radius, no sling wrap, no propping my elbow into my waist line. Strictly off hand shooting on the wobble when the sights crossed the center line. I'll take it for a start.

Bench shooting spoils a person. That piece of paper looks easy until it isn't in a field position.

Good stuff! I'm also shooting my 22 from standing and sitting. I've been staying at 25 yards so far, but will punch it out to 50 yards soon.

Marksmanship! (y)

Guy

Guy Miner":11jy2e2m said:
Good stuff! I'm also shooting my 22 from standing and sitting. I've been staying at 25 yards so far, but will punch it out to 50 yards soon.

Marksmanship! (y)

Guy

Thanks. Satisfying way to shoot when it goes well. I really enjoy a good round with open sights.

The 22 is a German made 94/22 clone......fun rifle that shoots really well. The target above was shot with American Eagle ammo which it shoots well enough that I knew it could do better than I can shooting off hand.

Since this pic I've taken the front sight hood off to give better light on the front sight.

What it really shoots is Aquila Super Xtra hollow points. 25 yds benched it will ragged hole them.

This was last yr off the bench at 100 yards with those bullets once I found out where to raise the sight to, to make hits at that yardage. 10 shots at a 9" plate. I was proud of this one for a 22 with open sights at that distance for sure. Don't ask me to make a bet on being able to repeat it. :lol:

Back