A Michigan Moose Story

mjcmichigan

Handloader
Dec 26, 2016
Bear tags In Michigan are hard to come by. 4-9 years is not shocking.

My 84 year old father in law hit the 2nd bear season this year. It started on 9/14.

At 84 years young, my father-in-law, added another item to his done that list. He's in the U.P. (secret location), Bear hunting over bait. The family is not worried about him bear hunting at 84 because he handles himself well and can run circles around many guys. We are thankful this year he had enough points to get a tag. Nothing puts more hop in his step than hunting and fishing. So midday on the fourth day of the hunt, he hears something between him and the bait. Hoping for the big bear he's waiting for..but no, instead, joining the game trail from a right angle, is a BIG BULL MOOSE. The moose looked up and down the gametrail, then locked eyes on the old man sitting on his bucket. It starts towards him and speeds up to a trot, and jumps a down spruce... at this point, Pops was past the oh nuts moment and he quickly scoots into a clump of big trees with his life and his rifle(99f in 308win). The moose did not try to take out the trees, but got danger close. He could smell the moose's breath. The moose towered over him. He realized at 6'2", the moose's back was a bit over 7' and was wet from a nearby body of water, except the top 10". The rack, he estimated at pushing 60". He did comment it was the fastest he's gotten off the bucket after hours of sitting. Speeding up the story, the moose eventually left, only to come back and take 2 more passes at him over the next hour. It left us wondering, will a Moose in Rut will run off bears in it's territory? We figured when he was sitting the moose probably thought he was a bear.

At this point, it's just a really memorable experience. If I was into golf, I’d say that counts as shooting your age. I hunt too, but am not expecting to encounter a moose in Michigan unless I go to Isle Royal. We are all happy he survived another episode in the wild, and are hoping he fills his tag before the bad weather sets in. He says if it happens again, he'll think to get pictures. This wasn't something you can plan on. I doubt he slept as excited as he was.
Happy Hunting!

P.s. no moose hunts in Michigan. Herd is stuck at 700 due to brain worm and habitat.
P.s.s.he does have bears coming in, just waiting for the right one...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a neat story. I've been pushed once or twice by moose who were curious, but never felt they were particularly aggressive. Still, such big animals are certain to be given plenty of latitude from this old boy! Interesting question concerning whether they will attack a bear. I wouldn't be surprised if such happened. A rutting moose is nothing to dismiss.

Nice story for a senior hunter.

My closest moose encounter was while hunting bears in Canada from a treestand. It was last light and I heard something walking towards me. It was so noisy that I thought it might be another hunter. At about 40yds I saw a moose headed my way. It became apparent that the moose was going to walk under the stand so I grabbed my camera. When the flash went off I thought the moose would run but he just stood there directly beneath me. He never looked up as I took picture after picture with the flash lighting up the whole place. The confused moose eventually walked off. I didn't get a bear on that trip but the moose encounter made it a memorable one.

I had a moose incident in Maine at my bud's camp about 10 years ago, I was sitting on the ground about 15 feet off a well used deer trail. Roughly 9:15 AM I heard slight noises behind me and got myself ready, expecting to see something I could bring home to dinner. The noise stopped and I slowly turned, only to look up and have a cow moose staring me in the face from about 10 feet away. She had obviously seen me and was more curious than anything. She hesitated and then continued down the trail passing right by me. Of course I didn't have a camera. Definitely makes the hunt worthwhile.

Exciting story. I'm hunting bears over bait in the UP as well. There is moose sign all over where I am hunting. I'm holding out for a big bruin and hoping he will show up during legal shooting time.
I wish your father-in-law the best of luck!

JD338

Attachments

• Bear 09112020 .JPG
    Bear 09112020 .JPG
    907.4 KB · Views: 461
diverdown":r2c12v2g said:
I had a moose incident in Maine at my bud's camp about 10 years ago, I was sitting on the ground about 15 feet off a well used deer trail. Roughly 9:15 AM I heard slight noises behind me and got myself ready, expecting to see something I could bring home to dinner. The noise stopped and I slowly turned, only to look up and have a cow moose staring me in the face from about 10 feet away. She had obviously seen me and was more curious than anything. She hesitated and then continued down the trail passing right by me. Of course I didn't have a camera. Definitely makes the hunt worthwhile.
Lol! Excellent! That would be memorable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD338":3by4dofv said:
Exciting story. I'm hunting bears over bait in the UP as well. There is moose sign all over where I am hunting. I'm holding out for a big bruin and hoping he will show up during legal shooting time.
I wish your father-in-law the best of luck!

JD338
Thank you JD. likewise. While walking out to freshen his southern bait pile through knee deep muck...heard hounds and two reports. There were west of us maybe 800 yards.

Since he’s not a technology guy, I handle his cameras for him.
We now have 30 pictures like this... the bear went AWOL since the wolf showed up.
dddef93024ba9206f7485827af60c885.jpg

05dcd1659bdeb0de6723e0b98576537e.jpg

f23067bee2f4b265e51372f5684b3461.jpg

It’s the cows with calves you got to watch out for. I got stomped by an angry cow years ago

Back