A Mixed Day at the Range

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I had a load workup for a customer. That usually means that I get to take a few of my own rifles with me. Among those accompanying me to the range today was my new 358 Norma Magnum. It is built on a Springfield 03-A3 action with a 24 inch Bevan King barrel. It is topped with a VX3 4.5-14X50 Long Range. Unfortunately, I didn't pull the trigger on this rifle today. There was too much going on otherwise. Next week?

I did do some work with my 7mm WSM, however.

I was shooting 160 grain Combined Technology Fail Safe bullets. One load showed promise, delivering a 0.86 inch group at 2967 +/- 14 fps. I'll play with OAL and give this another look at some point in the future. I have a lot of the Fail Safe bullets floating around and a bit of the Rottweil 905 which I was using up for this workup. I had a set of loads that showed a lot of promise. These were built with 150 grain E-Tips charged with WXR. All showed single digit standard deviations and good velocity to 3148 fps. Unfortunately, the targets were all spoiled and unrecoverable. The group with the highest velocity was sub-MOA. Oh, yes, despite the gnashing of teeth and sardonic grimace I will be doing this workup again. One other load built with 150 grain E-Tips charged with Retumbo delivered ~3100 fps and a group size of 0.93 inches. I have some other 150 grain E-Tip sets already loaded and ready to go. I just ran out of time today.

I also had my 325WSM with me. This rifle has become a good friend, having accounted for several moose, elk, mule deer and whitetails over the past several years.

The loads slapped me around pretty good today, but delivered some valuable information. I have several loads built with 200 grain Barnes TSX and N560 knocking at 3000 fps. Ballistic data is very promising, but accuracy isn't very comforting. I also worked up two sets of loads built with 180 grain Barnes TSX--one with N560 and one with A2700. These loads topped out at ~3050. Accuracy ranged from MOA to 1.5 MOA. Standard deviations were single digits. Oh, yes, this will be revisited. This is a sampling of groups from these sets. They aren't spectacular; but they are promising.

Then, there was the 35 Whelen. From the git go it put a grin on my chin.

I began my shooting with this rifle testing the hunting load I developed this past year. It launches a 225 grain Sierra Game King charged with 56.0 grains of IMR 8208 XBR at 2630 +/- 5 fps. This load has stood me in good stead in the past, and I have no doubt that it would do for the future.

However, being an inveterate tinkerer (erstwhile scientist), I could not leave well enough alone. I had to go messing around. I built a couple of sets of tests with 225 grain Game Kings and either RL17 or RL15. Now, I'm dissatisfied with my previous workup and willing to jettison all that I've built for this August just so I can shooting something else. Well, here is the 225 grain Game King charged with RL17. It gives a pretty good punch for this old duffer; and I think it would punch a moose right smartly as well.

The same bullet charged with a stiff dose of RL15 is just as accurate (and punches just as smartly).

After several weeks of editing television programming and attending to the usual demands of a growing pastorate, it felt good to get to the range. Temperatures in the early morning were 19 C, rising to 24 C by 4:30. The wind was blowing at about 90 degrees at ~4 km/hr.

The 243 Win for my customer was less satisfying. He brought the rifle to me because he couldn't get it to shoot. I can get reasonable groups, but they aren't spectacular. He wants to drop the occasional elk and mule deer with this rifle, and 1.5 MOA is about all I could get today with 90 grain AB and 90 grain E-Tip. I got somewhat better results with 80 grain TTSX (MOA) and with 62 grain Varmint Grenades (~0.75). I need to check the twist on this rifle. I have some work to do over the next several weeks.

That Leica looks good on the 7 WSM. Good shooting that Whelen might make you forget about that 325 and that snazzy looking 358NM kinda what the 9.3 has done for me.

Indeed, the Leica does look good, Jake; it will be switched out shortly, however. The rifle is getting a new Leica ER 3.5-14X42 ASV. The old Leica will be placed on my Model 70 7mm RM.

Looking good DrMike, got to love that Whelen. That 03-A3 looks great I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Looks like you had a good day Mike. I hope that .243 comes around for you. I couldn't get the 90gr AB to shoot in my 6-284 until I gave it a jump of .1 to the lands. Now it goes into .7" or less and at 3500FPS. Your 358 Norma looks beautiful and your Whelen is rocking!. I sold my Ruger 35Whelen RS to fund my new M70 version. I hope the new one does as well as yours! Do you know what speeds you were getting with RL17? It's my new favorite powder.

Scott

Scott,

I allowed 0.100 jump on both the AccuBonds and on the E-Tips, just as I did with the TSXs. The rifle itself is problematic. I have a suspicion of what the problem may be. Unfortunately, I haven't time to look at it until next week. The load I showed with RL17 in my Whelen was 2621 fps. It'll do. Velocities on my load with IMR 8208 XBR are 2632 fps and with the RL15 the velocity was 2608. I can get higher velocities, but accuracy is quickly degraded. This seems more than enough to take down a moose (or an elk, or a grizz, or a...).

...no, No, NO!!! Haven't you guys been reading the 'other boards??? RL-17 is "Of the Devil", a few degrees warmer & it'll blow up, a few degrees cooler, it won't even ignite, especially if it's *C. Oh, & inconsistent, your next group will go 10.4MOA. Pack all yer RL-17 into a padded envelope & send it to "Gene in WY", you might want to note on the outside of the envelope 'For Disposal' so's dey don't think yer actually trying to send 'real powder' thru the mail...

...Dr. Mike, you need to try some of those 250gr. Woodleighs out of the .325, you don't want Gerry gettin' et by a bar...

...oh, & the .358 Norma looks just like what a "Classic Rifle" should look like...

:roll: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

I note that I do have quite a few Woodleigh bullets in .323 calibre (and even a box of Oryx); however, most are either 196 grain (or even 200 grain) and one box of 220 grain. Yeah, I know that RL 17 is terrible stuff. But that border... :mrgreen:

That's some very classy hardware you're running there! Love that 7wsm!

And great shooting!

DrMike":24720qn5 said:
...Temperatures in the early morning were 19 C, rising to 24 C

eehhh… we don't speak Canadian around here :?

The Whelen has to make you smile. Great groups. I believe that could ruin a Mooses day. :grin:
I realize there is a border between us but if that 358 somehow doesn't work out, I'm up for a drive and would be happy to give it a home. :lol: sweet looking rifle Doc.

Kinda like women.
There all good looking in their own way.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Wow! That 358 is just beautiful. I was salivating thinking about the shooting you were going to do with it.... Ah well. I can't wait to see its debut though.

Your other rifles look great and the Whelen seems pretty keen on those RL'er powders. Man, it's on fire.

Looks like a great day on the range for you Mike.

Mike,

Good show. The 358 Norma is beautiful! Looking forward to reading your range report.
What bullet and load are you planning on using?

The 35 Whelen is shooting great. I would say that you need to bloody the 35 Whelen but I would
lean heavily towards the 358 Norma Mag.

JD338

DrMike, that .358 Norma is a fine looking rifle and stock, very nice looking. I hope it shoots as well as it looks?

I have (2) of the Leica 2.5-10x42 scopes now. They surely do shoot small groups, are super bright and high contrast! I have the IBS and BDD reticles. Mine are on my .30-06 and .257 Roberts.

Jim,

I have 280 grain A-Frames loaded up for the 358 NM. I also have some 275 grain Woodleigh PP SN available to sling about. Either will pack a wallop, without a doubt.

NWBlacktail":1gzrssxv said:
eehhh… we don't speak Canadian around here

Nineteen Celsius is 66 degrees Fahrenheit. Twenty-four Celsius is 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Twenty-four is getting warm up here. It was 23 C (73 F) this afternoon and has dropped to 14 C (57 F) this evening. We just got home after a day in the country with a couple of the granddaughters. Oh, and "eh" is very Canadian. :mrgreen:

Dwh7271":1gzrssxv said:
The Whelen has to make you smile. Great groups. I believe that could ruin a Mooses day.

Dewey, I'm thinking that the Whelen may just serve to disturb the peace of nature for some poor critter this fall.

SJB358":1gzrssxv said:
Wow! That 358 is just beautiful. I was salivating thinking about the shooting you were going to do with it.... Ah well. I can't wait to see its debut though.

Scotty,

The 358 had a bit of a glitch that delayed shooting it. I need to remeasure the throat and make some adjustment on my loads. They felt a little tight, giving me pause for the first shoot. I'm eager, but not so eager that I'm prepared to force the issue. The workmanship on the stock and barrel turned out very nice. The stock was a handsome piece of French Walnut (which I chose over a piece of English Walnut) at the suggestion of the man who built the stock. It turned out very handsome. To say I'm pleased is an understatement. I should have it back at the range this next week after making a couple of ajustments.

Charlie,

I'm very pleased with each of the Leica scopes I've either had or now have. They have served me well.

Mike that 358 Norma is a beautiful looking rifle! Looking forward to seeing your range results.

Man your 35 Whelen is shooting amazing. Kind of group size I've come to expect when your behind the trigger.

Do you think it was throated a little too short Mike?

Either way, I am sure it is quickly remedied. Those big Swifts and Woodleighs should knock the crap out of a moose or bear.. Wow, that is heaving a good sized bullet right there.

SJB358":2c5uc1wd said:
Do you think it was throated a little too short Mike?

Either way, I am sure it is quickly remedied. Those big Swifts and Woodleighs should knock the crap out of a moose or bear.. Wow, that is heaving a good sized bullet right there.

Yup, I'm pretty certain that is what happened. I'll build a couple of dummy loads first to see how deep in that big case I would need to seat the bullets. Like have to take it back, but it is no big deal. I should have it up and running shortly.

Awesome Mike. If the big 358 shoots even half as good as she looks, oh man, you will be in fine shape.

JD338

Back