Accuracy falling off

beerbucksducks

Beginner
Dec 1, 2014
Hey guys! I went to check zero on my Ruger Hawkeye 243 before deer season back in October, and it seemed to be shooting all over the place. Typically this rifle is consistently sub moa at 100 with my 85 tsx load.This time it was probably holding 3 moa. I shot my 300 wsm and it was still holding sub moa, so I don't think the issue was me. I brought the 243 home and deep cleaned it with some sweets 7.62 and checked the rings and bases. Next time out the first 3 shots were sub moa and went down hill from there (letting barrel cool in between shots). Round 3 at the range was as sporadic as the first. Needless to say I didn't hunt this rifle. Now that season is over I have time to figure out what's up. My first thought is to eliminate the scope. I am running a Nikon pro staff 3-9x40. Yesterday I stumbled on a leupold vari-x ii 3-9x40 on Craigslist and picked it up for $175. The scope is in perfect shape. So my plan of attack is to mount the new scope and see if my groups don't close back up. My next thought is brass. I don't anneal my brass and have several firings on this batch, so switching to new brass will be experiment #2. Plan 3 would be to try to develop a new load. After that leaves a bedding issue (it's not bedded) or have it bore scoped. So my question is is there anything that I am overlooking that could be the possible culprit? As you can tell I have had way too much time to think about this and it's bugging the hell out of me, haha. Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a 243 do that same thing. I tried everything, scope, screws, powders ect. I finally went back and deep cleaned with wipe out foaming bore cleaner. It took 5 days of soaking with cleaning morning and at evening to get the copper out. The 85 gr. TSX's with Ramshot Hunter went back to moa and stayed there.

Sounded Like it shot better after cleaning and then opened up again so fouling could be the culprit.

I think the new glass and new brass should get you where you want to be.
Make sure the bases are torqued to the correct in lb spec.

JD338

Just got the new glass mounted. The wheeler Specs said bases 30 inch lbs and rings 15 to 20 for steel. I'm gonna try to get it sighted in next week and hopefully it settles in.

"I don't anneal my brass and have several firings on this batch, so switching to new brass will be experiment #2."

From what I have seen by pushing brass to far with out annealing the above #2 experiment will most likely correct your issue.

Tjay":39hjqbmy said:
I had a 243 do that same thing. I tried everything, scope, screws, powders ect. I finally went back and deep cleaned with wipe out foaming bore cleaner. It took 5 days of soaking with cleaning morning and at evening to get the copper out. The 85 gr. TSX's with Ramshot Hunter went back to moa and stayed there.

Sounded Like it shot better after cleaning and then opened up again so fouling could be the culprit.

+1 on the wipe out, not that VXII is ever a bad thing. Dad was ready to junk his always faithful 7Mag until he spent a week cleaning it, once a day w/ wipeout. Its something I would try. Personally I own a VXII because my loads were too hot. Once I backed off a grain the bushnell trophy I had on the thing would have sufficed. CL

I've had the issue with a couple of rifles when shooting Barnes TSX. Accurate for a few shots, by number 20 it's all over the paper. It soured me on the TSX.

I've never had the issue with any other bullet. See what it will do with some plain Federal blue box or Corelokts.

hodgeman":3u0ypgi0 said:
I've had the issue with a couple of rifles when shooting Barnes TSX. Accurate for a few shots, by number 20 it's all over the paper. It soured me on the TSX.

I've never had the issue with any other bullet. See what it will do with some plain Federal blue box or Corelokts.

Forgot6 about that. I have half a box of the old barnes X bullet, unfired. By the time I made it through 10 shots my accuracy was ridiculous. Could have been me.....but I attributed it to copper fouling. CL

cloverleaf":pz0kazi1 said:
.....but I attributed it to copper fouling. CL

I was certain it was copper fouling, when I cleaned it I got gobs of the stuff out. Barrel on one was a Pac-Nor..about as good as they get.

Once cleaned and back to regular old fodder- same predictable accuracy.

Well I just bought a bag of 50 new WW brass and some break free foaming copper solvent so hopefully that'll get me back on track. Thank you for the help!

Good luck! Let us know how you make out. Didn't know break free made a foam bore cleaner.... CL

On Ruger"s M77, which the Hawkeye, is check bedding screws. front screw will tune the barrel if the barrel has not been free floated. Ruger says 90 in/lbs on front screw, 30-35 on back screw and just finger tight on the middle screw. Assuming you have a wood stock, the wood will give some over time and cause some weird thing to happen with Rugers.
BuddyT

I have learned that the scope is the first place to check after guard screws and being clean.

Thanks for the tip! My gun is stainless synthetic but I checked the action screws when my groups first opened up. All is well on that front.

Get the bore clean and mind your case length. You didn't mention if or how often you have trimmed your brass.

I just trimmed the brass on my last batch of loads. I spent a good chunk of time cleaning it yesterday, still have dirty patches coming out, so I'm thinking I didn't get it as clean as I thought I did last time. My issue could be a lot more simple than I made it out to be. Haha.

When I have challenges like yours, I clean the hell out of the bore. Then check the action screws. Like everyone else here. There is one thing I would do different, and ya, it's a bit of a pain in the
a_ _. I would take the scope off of your 300wsm that you know shoots sub-MOA and mount that onto your 243. The new scope, like you said, "looks" in mint shape, but it's used, and you really have no idea in what condition the erector tube, or other internals are in. The scope off of the 300 wsm is proven. That way, you're eliminating the possibility of adding more factors. Matter of fact, stick your new-to-you Leupold on the 300 that you know shoots sub-moa. In so doing, you'll "proof" your new scope.

Just finished up shooting. Between the new scope and cleaning the hell out of the barrel I'm back to under moa at 100! Thanks for the suggestions, it's time work up a load with some ballistic tips.

beerbucksducks":zpz9chn4 said:
Just finished up shooting. Between the new scope and cleaning the hell out of the barrel I'm back to under moa at 100! Thanks for the suggestions, it's time work up a load with some ballistic tips.

>>> you,re welcome. we're all gun nut of the nuttiest sort. all off the same tree.....lol

Back