ADI powders

257 Ackley

Handloader
Nov 25, 2008
I'm doing some research on powders for heavy bullets in a .223. Looking at the ADI website to see what they have to cross-reference with Hodgen and Alliant. I noticed that ADI has 3 different Benchmark powders (I think they make Benchmark for Hodgen), and am wondering if we only have Benchmark 1 available here in the US? I read the discription for each one and where their burn rates and applications they are best suited for. I am wondering if anyone has tried the other Benchmark powders, especially the Benchmark 8208?

Here is a link:
http://adi-limited.com/handloaders-guid ... _rates.asp
http://adi-limited.com/handloaders-guid ... +Mark+8208

G'Day Fella's,

.257Ackley, I have only just returned from a field trip where I was burning copious amounts of ADI powder!
FYI, ADI make most of the extruded stick powders and some of the disc powder, that Hodgdon market in the US.
----------------------------------------
From the ADI website etc, these are the ADI powders, that are marketed in the US and their Hodgdon name/equivalent (from Fastest to Slowest).

ADI = Hodgdon
AS-30N = Clays
Trail Boss = (see IMR powders for Trail Boss)
AS-50N = International
AP-70N = Universal
AR-2205 = H4227
AR-2207 = H4198
BM1 =
AR2219= H322
BM2 = BENCHMARK
AR-2206 = BLC (2)
AR-2206H = H4895
AR-2208 = Varget
AR-2209 = H4350
AR-2213SC = H4831
AR-2219 = H1000
AR-2225 = Retumbo
AR-2218 = H50BMG
----------------------------------------------

Sorry 257 Ackley, whilst I have seen the recent advertising of Benchmark 8208 powder, I have no experience with it!

Hope that helps understand this partnership, a little better.

Doh!
Homer

Thank you HomerOz...that clears up some of the questions and gives me a better understanding of the numbers ADI uses vs. the names the Hodgen uses in North America.

Gotta ask...what were you doing to burn up copious amounts of powder? Hope it was fun what ever you were doing!

G'Day .257 Ackley,

Have a read of the thread in this area, titled > "Chronographs" for a better understanding!

Merry Christmas Mate
Homer

:mrgreen: Gottcha!! The 338 Lapua would burn a few kernels of powder!! Tell me your loads for the 6.5X47 Lapua. I just had one built this year on a Defiance action and Brux HV barrel (8 Twist) that will be used for LR shooting and a few F-class matches. I have been testing 123 & 139 Scenars, 130 Berger VLD's and 140 VLD's. The rifle has shown a preference for the 139 Scenars with N540. Let's see some pictures of your rifles and tell us what you use them for.

A very Merry Christmas to you too mate!

Not sure how they match up to ADI labels, but the Hodgdon-branded Benchmark and IMR8208 are fantastic with 55-grain bullets in the .223. Benchmark did 1/2 MOA out of both of my rigs, and the IMR8208 can do better when I have my act together. Plenty of speed for my needs, they burn clean, easy metering, just good powders all the way around.

Yeah Justin - I was wondering when I saw the 8208 number if that is what ADI refers to as Benchmark 8208. If that is the case, it is supposed to less temperature sensitive like the other extreme powders Hodgen has. For the lighter .224 bullets Benchmark seems to work. It is a great powder for the .204 as well. I just loaded up 200 rounds using Benchmark and some 52 grain bullets last night for the black rifle. The T3 is an 8 twist, so that one gets the heavier lead...75 plus grains for bucking those western winds. :roll: Varget and R15 is what I'm thinking. Good old 748 looks like it has possibilities as well, but I have never used any of it.

G'Day Fella's,

.257 Ackley, I have only just started loading ammo for the 6.5 x 47 Lapua cartridge and have only used 140grn Nosler Custom Comp and 142grn Sierra HPBT bullets so far.
I use a maximum charge of 40grns of ADI AR-2209 (H4350), Lapua 6.5 x 47 cases and CCI BR4 primers to achieve a Maximum Safe Working Load (MSWL), with a velocity of just over 2700fps, from the 26", 1 in 8" twist, Lilja 3 groove, #7 profile barrel.
A good mate of mine, swears by a load that uses RL-15 and the 123grn Scenars, for the local 500meter "Fly Shoot" bench rest competition!

.257 Ackley, I have posted some images of this 6.5 rifle, in other threads on this forum.

Hope that helps

Merry Christmas to you all!
Homer

Thanks Homer - I think I saw that topic and remembered after I posted. A couple guys on this forum use H4350 with the 130 grain Bergers with great success and my groups have been around .5 MOA with the 40 grain charge and BR4 primers. Groups have been better with the Scenars and N540 or R15 for me (only about 120 rounds down the pipe). I haven't had my final loads over a chrongraph yet, due to winter temperatures in Minnesota. :shock: I need to be down in your part of the world right now to do that. 2700 is good velocity with the 140 grain bullets in that little case. The trick will be to see if the faster/flatter shooting 123 Scenar with the lower BC gives better groups than the slower higher BC 139/140 grain bullets. I just bought 10 lbs of R15 to use in about 4 rifles that I load for, so I hope the rifle will continue to like this powder. I can buy 5 lb jugs of R15 for less than $90 vs $31/lb for the N540.

This rifle wasn't built as much for competition as it was for wacking varmints out to 1000 yards. I do plan on testing it at a couple F-class matches next summer though. I need to sell a couple NF scopes so I can buy one really good S&B or Premier scope for it. It is terrible getting old and having eyes start to fail you :twisted: .

Guess it is Christmas day in your world by now, so Merry Christmas once again.

Back