Alliant Blue MZ pellets

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Has anyone tried these in their inline muzzle loaders? I've seen them listed couple of times on websites but no firsthand experience. Dan.

I use their Black MZ loose powder. It goes boom , bullet hits target , and I have dusty gray ash to clean out of the bore. If I didn’t have so much of it I would be looking at something else. Not sure if the pellets are the same stuff.

I've only used 777 loose powder in my inline . I thought it worked well , and cleaned easy . I just used hot water to clean the bbl . coming from a guy that's not really into muzzleloaders , I think I like 777 powder .

I might buy a muzzleloader license this year . it's been years since I've hunted with it .

I used loose 777 and got good accuracy with it just didn't like the crude ring that was left where the base of the sabot was sitting. Since using Blackhorn 209 been a big-good difference as far as residue and cleanup is concerned. Pricey but effective. Shot traditional black powder cap and flintlocks but the eyes can't see the sights. Did put a peep on my .54 flinter but haven't taken it hunting. Maybe this year. Dan.

Ya know... there's nothing wrong with using Holy Black in your inline. I had some ignition issues with BH209, and after it cost me an easy shot on a nice buck, I went back to using Goex. Other than the cleanup, it's not an issue for hunting. Generally only going to pull that trigger once or twice in a day, not going to load and fire 20 shots in a row.

As an alternative, I bought some of the Hodgdon Starfire pellets to try, but I have a specific use in mind for them. For normal hunting needs, I'll stick with the same Goex that I use in my Hawken.

Dan,
Having a "Plan B" is always a good option so I think it's smart to give it a try. These days I use Triple 7 pellets and they shoot great. I use bore butter and clean between shots, even when hunting.

JD338

Using 777 in the inline I ran a damp patch followed by a dry one between shots. Did same with black powder in round ball guns. Except in the Rice barrel 54 flintlock. It's easy to load time after time. Dan.

With Black MZ it cleans up easy with a couple of patches with isopropyl. I can get 3 loads through before cleaning. Third one is tight.

Always just used loose 777, but like with my center fires, I’m looking for backups just in case….Never tried, so can’t verify, but a lot of black powder guys say Windex sprayed on patches is the best cleaner for between shots.

I read an article in Muzzle Blast several years ago about a homemade cleaner using rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide and murphy's oil soap mixed in equal parts on a 1-1-1 ratio. It works good for black powder, pyrodex and 777. Personally, I think the best cleaner for Blackhorn 209 powder is their own cleaner. Little goes along way and cleans up nicely. Dan.

Always just used loose 777, but like with my center fires, I’m looking for backups just in case….Never tried, so can’t verify, but a lot of black powder guys say Windex sprayed on patches is the best cleaner for between shots.
I have used Windex for cleaning at the range. It works fine and does the job, at least for regular BP. In the field, I keep ziplock bag with some patches moistened with TC's T7 cleaner, or whatever it's called. Kind of a milky blue stuff. If I have to reload more than once or twice, I'll run a couple of those down the bore and follow with a couple dry patches.

Windex makes some sense being as ammonia is an ingredient and seems to be good at getting stuff out of barrels. I just wouldn't want to leave any in the barrel since ammonia is also very corrosive.

Although now that I think about it, I don't think ammonia is usually used in gun cleaners unless it is meant to remove copper. Maybe it is good for carbon too. Or maybe that has nothing to do with why Windex works on black powder.

I use T/C bore butter between shots, even when hunting. I also use their bore cleaner and then bore butter when I do a through cleaning.

JD338

Back