And it begins..

Slimfinn

Handloader
Nov 28, 2018
Well so much for the New Year's resolution... but it isn't for me so maybe I'm good still.
145100.jpeg
Falkor Defense MT7+ long action standard bolt face.
Seen this sitting at the LGS for a while but never looked close at it because I didn't have a need. Well there has been so much talk about 25-06s on the forum over the past year, so I blame thee 😀.
A little research the last week or so, components showing up in stock, and permission from the wife, I hope to have a nice lighter 25-06 put together for the daughter.

Ha! I'm not familiar with them but provided they are a quality receiver and bolt which I'm sure they are, that should make you a great rifle! I know you say it's for your daughter, but we all know you're gonna have a lot of gun with it first, so congrats. (y) 😆

Pat, if you had mentioned here on the forum, I am sure we could have encouraged you to get it sooner... :)

Congratulations on making the decision to go ahead with it. I am sure your daughter will appreciate using it after you are finished working up loads (i.e. "playing" with it) for it.
Dan

Ha! I'm not familiar with them but provided they are a quality receiver and bolt which I'm sure they are, that should make you a great rifle! I know you say it's for your daughter, but we all know you're gonna have a lot of gun with it first, so congrats. (y) 😆
As long as she picks everything out its hers right.... even if I don't get shorter LOP :)
She is excited and so am I. The best part was when she was explaining it to mom that "it is going to be so sleek"

What is she (you) thinking for components so far? Barrel, stock, scope?

What is she (you) thinking for components so far? Barrel, stock, scope?
One of the key factors that sparked this build all the sudden, was a ready to ship 25-06 barrel from McGowen- 24" SS with gloss black Cerakote, Remington sporter contour, 1/2-28 muzzle thread
Stock is by Cooper Firearms of Montana(soon to be Arkansas:cautious:) synthetic black w/tan web
Stock and barrel were ordered today, left for her to decide on
Bottom metal- BDL vs. Mag
Timney Trigger(I have an extra or 2, I could swap around)
Rings- Talley lightweight
Scope is TBD right now something lightweight Leupold, Maven, Swaro

Almost complete, waiting on the Wyatt follower and i have some work to do with the thread protector.
Daughter is very happy and all smiles and yes it is "sleek"
20230209_185600.jpg
It's come together really quick being that everything happened to be in stock or I aready had.
Final build list
McGowen 24" 25-06 1-10" barrel
Falkor Defense MT7+ action
Copper Firearms stock
Red Hawk Rifles bottom metal
Timney Elite Hunter triger
Wyatt mag box, spring, and follower
Talley med rings
Swarovski 3-10x42 Habicht
Final scoped weight w/o follower and spring is 7.65 pounds. Half a pound lighter than her 260 with a 17" barrel.
Next it to break it in and decide what to load for it.

Attachments

• 20230209_185215.jpg
    20230209_185215.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230209_184921.jpg
    20230209_184921.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
90 gr. Absolute Hammers over IMR4350, 1/4 turn crimp with Lee FCD. Bottom 3 were with the Magneto speed attached, top 3 without Magneto speed. Average velocity 3500 fps, mild recoil, 24" barrel in m70. And the bullets are available.
I have a decent supply 25's I think I am going to lean toward the 115 Partition but also have some 110eldx, a few different 120gr speers and 120 PTs
I just picked up a couple boxes of rem green box 100gr that happened to be on the shelf for $30 at the LGS because I havent been able to find any brass at a decent price, they are asking $120 for 50 noslers, so if I can buy loaded ammo cheaper then brass I will, and save my primers.

Have not found a better whitetail load than a .257 115 gr. nosler ballistic tip at around 3000 fps!
I would agree, that's been my go to load for deer, antelope, coyote, etc. I needed a lead free load and was real disappointed in the last Etips I bought. The weight and length were all over the place. The Hammers weigh and measure almost exactly the same and that was the easiest load development I've ever done.

Almost complete, waiting on the Wyatt follower and i have some work to do with the thread protector.
Daughter is very happy and all smiles and yes it is "sleek"
View attachment 19056
It's come together really quick being that everything happened to be in stock or I aready had.
Final build list
McGowen 24" 25-06 1-10" barrel
Falkor Defense MT7+ action
Copper Firearms stock
Red Hawk Rifles bottom metal
Timney Elite Hunter triger
Wyatt mag box, spring, and follower
Talley med rings
Swarovski 3-10x42 Habicht
Final scoped weight w/o follower and spring is 7.65 pounds. Half a pound lighter than her 260 with a 17" barrel.
Next it to break it in and decide what to load for it.
Looking good , but boy that came together quick.

That is a dandy rifle SF! Well done. Never heard of that action before, looks darned nice though!

Back