Another M70 inbound

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Hey fellas.....been a while since I was here. No excuses. Just sorta got out of the habit. I'll try to turn up more often, although maybe that's not a good thing, lol.

So I have inbound a new-to-me M70. I know, odd for me, right?

This one is a departure from my big game rifle norm, though.

This is a Heavy Barrel Varmint version. Pushfeed action, HS Precision stock, and a 26" heavy barrel made by Wilson with a 1:9 twist. Blued action with a stainless barrel and black stock, a look I am partial to.

I'm listing a 204 Ruger-chambered CZ for sale (haven't listed it here, I guess I should), and pulling a 4.5-14x40AO Leupold with an elevation target turret from that to put on the inbound Winny.

I'm looking forward to spending some time on this new one. Something new and different.

Oh, and yeah, I added a South Carolina era featherweight in 308 Win for my kid, who switched from left-handed to right handed, so I have some range work to do!

Her lefty M70 is put up in the cabinet, waiting to see if any grandkids or sons-in-law turn up down the road and want to hunt with southpaw rig.

Hope all have been doing well...looks like the rifle-loonism is still going strong here. Glad I could stoke it a bit. :)

Should be a good shooter, many of those push-feed Model 70's were, and a bolt-action 223 is likely to be very accurate!

Guy

Congratulations on picking up another Winchester M-70 they are a fine rifle and in the 223 it should make tiny little groups :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

tddeangelo":1zpmw7ar said:
Here’s hoping so!
Tom I have 3 of the push feeds that I bought at what I think were good prices. And consider them the red head step child that was victimized because they are push feed and not control round feed. I look at them as a better built Rem 700.
The only thing I have done to them besides polishing the the triggers up and lightening the trigger springs is to put them in a good stock ( B&C ) if it came in the plastic factory stock which helped a lot with accuracy.
I do have one in a laminated factory stock that I bedded the front recoil lug and it shoots very good in it also.

This is my second pushfeed. I have a featherweight in 257 Roberts that was my grandfather’s.

I’ve also worked on my father’s “Winlite” in 30-06, too.

The rifle and all my reloading stuff for it have arrived, so time to get to work!

Back