Anyone have bad experiences with new custom built rifles?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I will try to make this story short of my first bad experience with a gunsmith that built my custom rifle. :mrgreen:

I have had many custom rifles built for me since 1990. I had a custom 6.5 Creedmoor built for me with a Surgeon 591 and shot real well at decent .3 to .4 MOA on first trip to the range, but the local gunsmith who built it last year screwed up where you feed a loaded round and the neck of the round ( case ) would jam up against the bottom of the chamber so I took it back and he must have taken shortcuts to fix it and reamed the very bottom rear part of the chamber and polished it. Called me up and said it was ready, went back and took my ammo with me and tried to feed it and same thing again. He was upset that he had to redo it. The third time I went to pick it up, it chambered better but I could feel a little bumpity bump when chambering it but went to try it anyway. So I went to shoot 40 rounds at the range and shot real decent. I was flabergasted to see that the fired brass had a noticeable bulge on one side of each fired brass at the bottom part close to the case head. I marked each un-fired brass with a Marks a Lot at 12 o clock ( top of the brass ) before I chambered it and fired it and each bulge was at 6 o clock ( bottom of the brass ) of the 12 o clock mark I made on the brass before firing it. I assumed that is the crappy work of the gunsmith but I won't name names. I resized the cases and it took at least 60 to 70 pounds of pressure to size a "lubed "case. I had to stand up to size it. :roll: So I took it back to the gunsmith and he was upset that he had a come back. I asked him " Do you remember when I asked you before I gave you a deposit that if I have any problems with the rifle, what will be the solution? " He replied " I remember telling you that if you have any problems, and I cannot fix it, then I'll give you your money back, all $4500 dollars." I had him put that in writing before I gave him the 50% deposit before he built it. (y) Now I told him there is a brass issue, its very hard to size and case looks like trash after shooting it. I asked him how he fixed the feeding issue previously , he would not answer my question but I knew anyway. He looked at the fired brass and said there is nothing wrong with the brass and that it looks normal, I laughed and said look closer but just try to sized these fired cases and here are my dies, he said I got my own dies and lube. I said be my guest, he got the brass and strolled over to his reloading bench and pulled out his fancy Redding dies and some Imperial wax lube. He sat down and screwed in his dies and waxed the brass and proceeded to raise the ram, it won't go no more than halfway down the brass, and he made a grunting sound to try to size it from a sitting position, haha. Looked like he was about to blow a fart. Made me laugh right there, but I kept my cool and he finally stood up to put almost all his weight to size that little bitty case. and when he tried to pull the case out of the die, he could not pull it up, he was smacking on the handle of the ram handle several times and finally pulled the case out of the die. I said " See what I mean, that is not normal" His responded sarcastically " That is normal" . I told him in my 30 years of reloading, I never had to size brass like that. He proceeded to size three more and with the same heavy exertion to size them. After sizing them he says brass looks fine. Geez, what a load of BS. I told him that its not fine and that I was not happy with the rifle and asked him to rechamber it since the barrel was a 30 inch barrel. He refused to, so I said " Like you said, you made an agreement and I expect you to abide by it otherwise I have other options" He stormed out of the room and came back with a stack of $100 bills and I knew what was coming. He counted and gave me a thousand dollars at a time until $ 4500 was counted and he took the ATACR scope off the rifle and handed it to me. I told him that I am sorry that it had to come to this, his response was " Get the ,,,, out of here". Wow. :lol: I said my pleasure and it was the last I ever saw of him. But I felt a great feeling of relief that I got all my money back and he is stuck with a crappy gun and a waste of his time building it. After a few weeks, gave GA Precision a call and told them that the .308 Crusader they built for me shoots like a dream and that I wanted a 6.5 Creedmoor. Made the order for a 6.5 Creedmoor Crusader with a 26 inch barrel and turn around time is 8 months. Can't wait. (y)

Wow,

Even with being confronted with direct evidence he refused to admit it. Glad you got your money back but, what a colossal waste of time and effort.

Just because someone hangs a shingle on the door does not mean they know squat.

What an experience! I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt - and so there might be more to what's going on with the smith than is obvious - from family crises to mental disorders which only happened recently. Some of the prescribed drugs we take in good faith can even affect people really badly. I can't imagine he survived in business long enough to get a decent reputation otherwise. So there may be a hidden reason, but that doesn't excuse how he dealt with you! Glad you had the forethought to get the guarantee, and that you at least survived somewhat intact!

Innocent question...
Is the a gunsmith certifying agency? I'd expect it would be like a trade union if there was on. Similar to a tool and die maker.

I don't think I've ever seen one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TackDriver284,
I wonder if you know for certain if it was the neck of the round catching on the chamber at all. Difficult to picture that. Did it do the same with the magazine full and empty? It seems that if the bolt nose recess wasn't radiused properly, the bolt could sort of catch on that corner - especially if the bolt is being forced up just a little by loaded rounds in the magazine. Maybe. Or the cartridge base wasn't moving up the bolt face to where it needed to easily. I'm wondering now what sort of feeding issues others have had that took a while to figure out. We'll never know on yours, TD, hope that next one shoots and functions as it should!
EE2

elkeater2":1jqok7rq said:
TackDriver284,
I wonder if you know for certain if it was the neck of the round catching on the chamber at all. Difficult to picture that. Did it do the same with the magazine full and empty? It seems that if the bolt nose recess wasn't radiused properly, the bolt could sort of catch on that corner - especially if the bolt is being forced up just a little by loaded rounds in the magazine. Maybe. Or the cartridge base wasn't moving up the bolt face to where it needed to easily. I'm wondering now what sort of feeding issues others have had that took a while to figure out. We'll never know on yours, TD, hope that next one shoots and functions as it should!
EE2

I forgot to add that its a single feed, no magazine. It was a rifle intended for competitions. I put the loaded round on the well and I slid the bolt in and it stopped halfway, the neck nudged right on the bottom of the chamber. When the local gunsmith put in a loaded round and got mad after he noticed that the issue still remains, he slammed on the bolt real hard and it peeled part of the neck back which was hitting the lower part of the chamber. It's the only thing I know and seen.

He doesn't sound like anyone I'd want changing to oil on my car.

Ouch.... that was well played and fantastically handled on your part tackdriver.
It's weird how some people blame the customer for a problem they refused to admit they cause themselves.
Hopefully the guy realizes it and learns from it once the smoke clears from his eyes!

Short actions, won't have one. Some work OK but I have seen many that do not, even after taking to gunsmiths

YMMV

mjcmichigan":33ipmhgr said:
Innocent question...
Is the a gunsmith certifying agency? I'd expect it would be like a trade union if there was on. Similar to a tool and die maker.

I don't think I've ever seen one.

He had certificates and has an attached addition to his house where he does work out of. Plus lathes and machinery and was recommended by a local gun range that sends their guns to that guy. Just glad I got my money back and won't ever send a rifle to anyone locally, or recommended by anyone again. I'll do my own research and find someone who is licensed and well known in the rifle building business even if its out of state to fix and build my rifles from this day on. The main reason was my two gunsmiths that builds my guns are out of state and turn around time is somewhere from 6 months to a year and this guy did it for me in 6 weeks. I have two more rifles are pending from these two gunsmiths that I rely on. It's what I get for being impatient. :mrgreen: I'll be more patient from this day on and send my guns to those two existing gunsmiths.

[/quote]
I forgot to add that its a single feed, no magazine. It was a rifle intended for competitions. I put the loaded round on the well and I slid the bolt in and it stopped halfway, the neck nudged right on the bottom of the chamber. When the local gunsmith put in a loaded round and got mad after he noticed that the issue still remains, he slammed on the bolt real hard and it peeled part of the neck back which was hitting the lower part of the chamber. It's the only thing I know and seen.[/quote]

Ah, now I understand. Thanks for explaining!
EE2

Ahhhh...one of the new "slammer" actions! Lol.
Fwiw.... I have a couple of tikkas and they amaze me at how they feed. They are like butter whether you pop a shell in the magazine or you just drop it in bullet first into the opening..... it seems like there's no way you can put the bullet in there and have it not feed like glass.

kraky1":2dwqgzhl said:
Fwiw.... I have a couple of tikkas and they amaze me at how they feed. They are like butter whether you pop a shell in the magazine or you just drop it in bullet first into the opening..... it seems like there's no way you can put the bullet in there and have it not feed like glass.

I have 2 Tikka T3s in 223 and can't single feed either one.
Rounds have to go in the mag.

Yes, I had a smith build a 260 AI for me. Somehow he short chambered it and cut the throat way too deep.
Took it back and asked him to set the barrel back and rechamber it. Gave him a dummy round with a 120 NBT, told him I was planning on shooting those bullets pretty much exclusively.
A week later he calls and says come get your rifle.
I pick it up only to find he set it back alright, he lopped three inches off the chamber end of the barrel and my 26 inch tube is now 23 inches.

I told him " You owe me a barrel and fitting it "
His answer was " OK, if you're not happy neither am I "

He's got my barrel sitting in his shop, has for about a year, I just haven't driven the 90 miles to take rifle back to him.

HTDUCK":140dad2q said:
kraky1":140dad2q said:

I have 2 Tikka T3s in 223 and can't single feed either one.
Rounds have to go in the mag.

Yes, I had a smith build a 260 AI for me. Somehow he short chambered it and cut the throat way too deep.
Took it back and asked him to set the barrel back and rechamber it. Gave him a dummy round with a 120 NBT, told him I was planning on shooting those bullets pretty much exclusively.
A week later he calls and says come get your rifle.
I pick it up only to find he set it back alright, he lopped three inches off the chamber end of the barrel and my 26 inch tube is now 23 inches.

I told him " You owe me a barrel and fitting it "
His answer was " OK, if you're not happy neither am I "

He's got my barrel sitting in his shop, has for about a year, I just haven't driven the 90 miles to take rifle back to him.

You can buy a modified magazine for the Tikka if you want to treat it like a single shot.

P

I had a similar experience with a saddle maker.

The seat leather was too short causing a gap between the swell and the seat. As soon as I saw it I knew it was an issue. Called the maker and he said to go ahead and ride it and see if it settled in over time.

Rode some colts and made two gathers with it. All that time it still bothered me. Functional yes but cosmetically it left a lot to be desired.

I called the saddle maker and told him the issue. He said to send it back so I did. He sent me back a refund check with a scathing letter accusing me of being dishonest. I messaged him telling him that while it was functionally correct it was a cosmetic eyesore.

I’ve never had a saddle seat with so much gap between the seat and the swell. I let him know that I did as he instructed and rode the saddle. I gave it time to “settle in” as he instructed.

My last message to him was that it’s not my fault if he doesn’t know how to fit a seat. Showed a pic of the issue to another saddle maker and he told me that a seat like that would never go out his shop door.

That maker, now retired and fishing daily in Florida, long move for an Arizona leather bender, is living the life he dreamed of. I got the last saddle he made. It was the third saddle of his in thirty years.

Quality work is hard to find these days it seems. When you find someone that does good work let them know you like the work and be willing to pay their price. It will be worth it in the end.

Vince

Back