Anyone load 110 grain RN in the 30-30?

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Got a Win 94 I'd like to test out. I have some old Hornady RN from way back I had picked up somewhere. Just want to test it for function and reasonable accuracy to make sure it's not a sprayer. Figured it would be a good way to use those 110's up, not sure what else I'd use them for.

Any experience of what powders work with that type of set up in a 30-30??

Should've looked first I guess before asking. Hodgdon lists that very bullet in their load data. They only show accurate powders for that bullet. The other bullet they list is a speer 110 FP. Among the powders they list for that bullet I have on hand is H4895, Varget, 4064, and 4320.

Thanks MSteve. (y)That gives me accurate data for IMR 4064. Hodgdon's data for the 110 Speer FP is not far off from that, they show a max of 35.5 of IMR 4064. I wont worry about max or max velocity, will keep it fairly low and just see how she works.

Fotis, you remember what the load was? I was in my reloading room today and dug those out, I thought I had 1 box, I have 3. They're OLD, I must of picked them up with some other bullets at some point. Might as well use them in that 30-30 as anything else. Be a fun plinking bullet if you remember the load you used.

12 grains of unique and yielded 2050 ft per second

12 grains of unique and yielded 2050 ft per second
Awesome. Thanks! If there's accuracy of any kind to go along with it, that will be a great little load. Got a buddy that has 5 or 6 lbs of Unique and he doesn't shoot much anymore so I should be able to buy a lb off of him. I also want to do some messing with Unique on a reduced cast load in the Whelen. Thanks again.

Back