Anyone seen this? 17HMR ***Update***

300WSM

Handloader
Dec 24, 2011
My son asked me WTH is going on here...

At least half of these are split.
New ammo but approximately 15-17 years old....
20221201_005055.jpg

20221201_003214.jpg
20221201_003204.jpg

I checked the box of CCI from same time frame with the speer hollow point...
No issues

These haven't been disturbed in any way since most it's life.

Anyone see such a thing?

Thx

Not the same thing.... Had this happen w/ Some CCI 22MAG several years ago.... Blew the clip out the bottom of the rifle, and ruined it. Sent it to CCI with the remaining 3 rounds and they said the "sample wasnt big enough to make any conclusions". May be a head space issue with the rifle but it hasn't happened since. Same brass as the .17 as I understand it. Reportedly, CCI makes all the brass, no matter who's label is on it. CL 1.2.18 311.JPG1.2.18 312.JPG

Last edited:
Looks like poor QC on the brass; perhaps a bit too brittle. The other crazy idea that pops into my little pea-brain is that someone tried to stick a .20 cal bullet in a .17 cal piece of brass.

***update***

Spoke with Hornady today...
I told him exactly what y'all see above and the history...
He said YEP....
See it a lot.
He said what happens is the bullet and the case are fighting with each other when the climate, temp, etc are changing...
And that brass is not annealed whatsoever there for it can only withstand so much...

I said ok...but...
I've a box bought around the same time of CCI's version using the speer tnt HP...
I said not one single piece is cracked.

He said...
That's intetesting because CCI makes these for us ( Hornady)

Phone was quiet...

That was the end of discussion

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Hmm, years ago I bought 700 rounds of .17 HMR for my son, when he got his .17 HMR CZ.

There's still about 500 of them left. I haven't looked at them in years. Just sitting there on the shelf. Perhaps I should investigate...

Thanks, Guy

My son asked me WTH is going on here...

At least half of these are split.
New ammo but approximately 15-17 years old....
View attachment 18375

View attachment 18376
View attachment 18377

I checked the box of CCI from same time frame with the speer hollow point...
No issues

These haven't been disturbed in any way since most it's life.

Anyone see such a thing?

Thx
My son shot those also. If there not split now they will when fired.

My son shot those also. If there not split now they will when fired.
Yeah...
I forgot to mention that's what originally happened. He shot some and noticed that which led him to look at the unfired ones and seen the split necks.

I might shoot a few cci's today just out of curiosity to see if they split too. It is odd the Hornady are split just sitting there and the CCI aren't from the same era.

Hmmm. With 15 to 17 years old unannealed brass; it looks like a case of season cracking to me.
Paul B.

Back