AR varmint bullet

Brinky72

Beginner
Jan 25, 2019
Looking for the best bullet for vermin to shoot of my AR. Easy button is a 55 grain BT or Vmax. But I want something that will blow to heck when it strikes something as small as a raccoon. Rifle is a Colt M4 LE/military 5.56 1:7”. Wondering how light I can go with that twist that will shoot accurately and won’t come apart. It’s my truck gun when out in the woods and I run into raccoons a lot when checking bear bait so I want something handy to take them out and know that the bullet isn’t going anywhere after hitting the coon.

I used to run the 50 gr BT in a 22-250. Shot quite a few coyotes and it wasn't too bad on the pelts. Through the slats resulted in an exit hike the size of a quarter. Rarely got an exit on shoulder shots. On woodchucks, it raised holy havoc.

JD338

How light do you want to go?
I use 50 grains with a 7 Twist and kills pd's great

dZ1BCc5l.jpg

for years- until Calif required non-lead ammo- I use 55gr SX Hornady bullets. I still use them when out of state. Mag primer and 27grs of Win 748 has been super accurate and explosive. Not I use 36 gr VG Barnes bullets. They work but I do not get the 3 pieces of the squirrel flying in all directions. This is in a 223/5.56 rifle or pistol

Many choices out there to accomplish your mission but what I use in that platform covers everything.
Defense, varmint, target...
Hornady # 2263B
It's a 55gr BTHP bullet

The only issue is Hornady will only sell that bullet by the quantity of 6000.
The problem is Hornady uses them in their boxed ammo and they need them unless someone wants to pony up and buy 6000.

I've bitched a lot to Hornady about that and think I'm making some head way. A little bit anyways..

In the mean time if you go to https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/
they bought them by the 6000 and repackaged them in boxes of 250.
They are around $50 for 250
55 gr BTHP

That's my #1 go to do-all everything 5.56 bullet.

The most destructive I've shot was the Barnes varmint grenade, but kind of spendy. The blitzking is a pink mist maker and pretty easy on the wallet. I've heard many say the Hornady SP is a violent projectile. Recently I got some hornady 55 gr HP's from blue collar that are very accurate and rumored to be be quite excellent varmint bullets. blue collar reloading

The most destructive I've shot was the Barnes varmint grenade, but kind of spendy. The blitzking is a pink mist maker and pretty easy on the wallet. I've heard many say the Hornady SP is a violent projectile. Recently I got some hornady 55 gr HP's from blue collar that are very accurate and rumored to be be quite excellent varmint bullets. blue collar reloading
That's the exact bullet I recommend above.

They're the perfect do-all 5.56 bullet IMO
Cheap enough to blast or rap the gong...
HP with speed is highly volatile...
Cannelure if needed

It just irritates me Hornady sells them only by the 6000's unless reboxed by a vendor.

I'd use the 40 grain BT or VMax myself. It's got enough jacket thickness to not care about the 7 twist and will definitely come unglued upon contact.

Thanks for the info. I’m thinking the blitz king might be the ticket or something like it. I’m looking for something that will flatten a coon and not go much farther. I was just concerned that something that frangible wouldn’t hold up spun that fast in a 1:7” twist. I’ve got plenty 62 gr bonded and 75 grain BTHP stuff to cover the other stuff.

I used to shoot a TON of 40gr. BTs out of my 1:7 Colt... never noticed them coming apart...

I used to shoot a TON of 40gr. BTs out of my 1:7 Colt... never noticed them coming apart...
I haven't either, cause they don't. Nosler's little BT while very frangible has plenty of integrity to handle those RPM's..

Back