AR vs Bolt rifle sight height

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
I had a mystery solved for me recently, you are all probably smarter than me and have this figured out but I thought I'd share it.

I had hit several coyotes high and missed a few shots at smaller critters with my AR rifles, kinda had me turned off on them for a while. I just seemed to shoot the bolt guns better. For predator hunting the AR's have some advantages so I kept shooting them some, giving them a try. I talked to a guy who hunts with AR's almost exclusively and he said my issue was sight height. Most AR rifles a scope is mounted about 3" above the bore and most ballistic programs show data for 1.5" as a default. It isn't a huge difference but it is a difference. With my AR 223 zeroed 2.5" high at 100yds it actually shows a 260yd zero and is 3.6" high in the middle of that. That's to much arch for where this rifle gets used. I might have to shoot between limbs, fence wires, etc. I adjusted it before my predator practice shoot a while back, but wanted to shoot paper at various ranges to make sure I was perfect as I could get.

I went and shot paper at 200, 250, and 300yds with it tonight to perfect my zero for the coyote tournament I'm participating in next weekend. The DPMS Prairie Panther shot pretty good. This rifle had never shot great until my gunsmith recommended lapping the barrel. After that it's still picky, but shoots an affordable remanufactured 55gr V max load very well. It's running 2962fps from my 20" barrel. I was shooting off a sandbag on the hood of my truck with a variable wind of 5-15mph, and have a 2.5-10x scope on the rifle. The wind and magnification played into my groups at longer range a bit, but I was happy. The three groups at 200yds were all under 1.5", the 250yd groups opened to 2.25" average, and the 300yd group was 4". Subtract one flier and it was 1.75" though. All the groups were significantly smaller vertically than that, most of the distance between shots was horizontal with the wind.

After adjusting my scope on the 200yd target, I was 1.5" high at 200yds, 1.5" low at 250yds, and 6" low at 300yds. I figured that was about as perfect as I could get. The wind died down to nothing as it got later, and I went back and used my final 3 bullets at 100yds and 165yds to confirm that I wasn't to high there. I shot one at 100yds that hit 1.7" high, and two more at 165 that hit 1.2" and 1.6" high. Those two really should have been a bit higher from what the ballistics program says, but I was happy with where they fell. My windage was perfect too, so the horizontal drift was due to wind earlier. Coyotes beware!

Incidentally for some reason, maybe my shooting, my 204 AR didn't fare as well in the wind. I was getting nearly double the drift consistently with the 45gr SP loads at 3325fps as I was with the slower 55gr V max. The BC's aren't that much different. I think maybe the forend on the DPMS worked with the sand bags better, but decided to figure it out later. The 204 can sit out the tournament as well as the DPMS is shooting.

I had limited ammo left but shot my 243 a bit more while I was doing this. I want to take a bigger bolt gun to the contest also for more open country where bobcats are unlikely, and as back-up. I expect I'll use both depending on the wind and terrain. We are hunting ground my partner lined up near his hometown, new territory for me. The 243 shooting an 85gr Speer SPBT with a BC of .404 at 3333fps did well in the wind. I started out with a 200yd zero, but ended up adjusting it to be 1.5" low at 300yds. This should give me a max mid-range rise of 2.8" and let me shoot to 300yds without adjustment. I've always held a bit low with the bolt guns if I feel the shot is inside 225yds anyway so that's what I'm used to. I know the AR bullets are slower so I never did it with them. I need to get the 243 back out one more time and shoot 100 and 150yds to confirm I'm not getting to much rise there.

Now I just need some coyotes to cooperate next weekend. Temps are supposed to be near 70 so it might be tough hunting.

Here's to pulling for you to find some coyotes. Looks as if you have the issue of hitting high worked out. Little things have a way of tripping us up.

Yeah that's for sure. We are good now, just need yotes to cooperate, thanks for the well wishes! I'll let you all know how it turns out.

My partner called today and wants me to bring him a rifle just in case. His 243 wasn't shooting like he wanted so he is giving it a good cleaning. I think I'll loan him my 243 because the ballistics are pretty similar to his rifle. He is shooting a beat up but darn accurate 788 Remington with 75gr V max bullets at about 3350fps. I shot 3 shots tonight and confirmed that I'm still only 2" high at 100yds tonight after the scope adjustments yesterday on my 243.

Since I'm loaning out that one I got my old favorite coyote gun out of the safe and shot it for the first time in a couple years. It's a custom 6mm I have set up to shoot 70gr Ballistic tips over Superformance powder at 3725fps. I was having trouble finding brass and some accuracy issues so I parked it a couple springs ago and hadn't got it back out. I found 150rds of Hornady brass a couple weeks ago so I started a deep cleaning on the barrel until it could sit for 12 hours soaked with Hoppes without a trace of blue coming out. I have a Vortex 4-16x44 on this rifle with a turret matched to my load. I loaded 20 rounds last night and it's shooting as well as ever. I was headed out to check the turret at 200, 250, and 300yds after shooting off the bench at 100yds and there was a crow sitting in the brome field my target was in. I ranged him at 262yds, threw the sandbag on the hood, dialed him up, held a shade for wind, and drilled him. I just put the gun up and headed home, that gun has already been verified on paper in the past and the crow counts as confirmation in my book.

I hope I don't have that gun in my hands if a bobcat shows up, but for coyotes it's deadly when it's shooting like this. That 70gr BT at that speed crushes them, very very few move after the shot. Should have never let it sit this long, I won't park that rifle like that again. Calving season is just about to start and the coyotes will be moving in, they won't like finding out the 6mm is back in the UTV.

Thanks Guy.

I had a couple feed salesman show up this morning that wanted to ride along to feed cows with me. As it always works after I took the rifle out to fit them in the truck I had a coyote watch me for several minutes at 150yds. Happens every time the gun stays at home!

mcseal2":pv4e4zi2 said:
Thanks Guy.

I had a couple feed salesman show up this morning that wanted to ride along to feed cows with me. As it always works after I took the rifle out to fit them in the truck I had a coyote watch me for several minutes at 150yds. Happens every time the gun stays at home!

I've taken to keeping a rifle in the truck all the time to alleviate that problem.

Of course I haven't seen a songbird since I've done that as I'm driving around Paradise. Used to see them almost daily until I got that new 45/70 which is my new coyote rifle as well as home defense rifle.

I'm in the middle of nowhere so over penetration isn't an issue here.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Down load Nikon's Spot on app. It allows you to put in sight highth and is very spot on .

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Had the 25-06 yesterday when I saw one, he didn't get away! The 100gr Sirocco is surprisingly fur friendly.

Vince I had to let the salesmen in the truck, they called Dad and he invited them!

I bet the 45-70 lets a coyote know he is hit. Kinda like a semi truck would.

Back