Back from Wyoming, mule deer & antelope

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
kPG500Wh.jpg

jjptkd5l.jpg

Stalked and shot a fat 3x3 mule deer buck. One shot kill from the 7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One. Sitting, braced with the Montana sling. That worked great. Used a Sierra Game King for the first time in maybe 20 years. Something like that. The 160 SPBT worked great and I recovered it from the off-side hide. Instant death.

My antelope decided to kick it into a higher gear while I was tracking him, from standing.... I didn't allow enough distance in front of him and took out his hindquarters with the shot I'd intended to put in his vitals. :( A follow-up shot ended things, but it wasn't pretty. :( My elevation for that first shot was perfect, but... Well, I don't think I'll be shooting rifles at animals moving across the field in front of me again. Phooey. Didn't taken any photos of the antelope - just an average goat - but any of us would have wanted a quicker kill. Sigh. I can tell you that doggone Sierra inflicts a lot of damage!

My son and I are going for opening day of mule deer season here in Washington on Saturday.

Guy

Congratulations, Guy. Did you use the same rifle on the antelope? I hope you post photos of the bullet you recovered.

Dan

That's a good sized deer there!
Congratulations on a successful hunt!
Those speed goats can be tricky at best. Better luck next time, Guy!
Sorry to hear you're banged up. But you had a great trip and hunt!
Thank you for sharing your adventures with us!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Congratulations !!! what did the Sierra look like ?

Quite a handsome mulie, Guy. Sorry to hear of the shot on the goat not being all you would have wanted. Yeah, that has happened, and we always feel terrible about not getting a quick kill on our game. Still, sounds as if you had a good hunt. Congratulations.

Congrats on your hunt Guy and getting some fine meat in the freezer. That No.1 looks really nice leaned on that buck.

Congratulations!
Goat would be way too fast for me to try a running shot.
Good for you you connected and were able to to tag it!
My farthest shot on running game was 90 y on a small pig. Ended up perfectly - but not sure I could repeat it...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Congrats Guy, that is a nice sized mulie. Hope you recovered that GameKing, willing to see what its like in expansion form.

Nice buck Guy, congratulations. Glad to see that ol' Ruger No 1 7mm Rem Mag getting some action.

JD338

JD338":over1mxw said:
Nice buck Guy, congratulations. Glad to see that ol' Ruger No 1 7mm Rem Mag getting some action.

JD338

Thanks. It's going out again tomorrow morning for Washington's opening day. :grin:

Guy

Congratulations. Glad you got the No1 put to use this fall. Hope you get another one tomorrow. Dan.

Very successful hunt Guy! Congratulations! Those running shots are tough and require quite a lead sometimes depending on the distance and angle. I can't say how comfortable I'd be with them myself anymore as it's been a while. Bad shots happen sometimes on much easier shots. You didn't miss on a tough shot. Don't beat yourself up too bad, you done good.

Guy Miner":38nbafiv said:
JD338":38nbafiv said:

JD338

Thanks. It's going out again tomorrow morning for Washington's opening day. :grin:

Guy
Excellent. Good luck tomorrow Guy.

JD338

Handsome Muley! He does look FAT! some good eating to look forward to! Antelope are somthin' aren't they?!?!. He will taste good too. Good luck in Wa. Enjoy! CL

That smile says it all!
Congratulations again Guy!
Really nice looking buck!
I love mule deer sausage!

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Nice buck Guy. I quit trying to shoot anything running several years ago. I would always shoot in front of them, but sometimes they stopped.

Back