Bad Powder

Bruce Mc

Handloader
Oct 26, 2005
This evening I was laying out components to load up some rounds with IMR 4451 and I noticed it really stunk. I looked closer at the container and noticed a rusty looking residue around the cap and on the top layer of powder. When I shook the bottle it settled off. I loaded up a ladder test of 4451 for my 270 win this past summer have not gotten around to shooting them. Out of caution I pulled bullets. Have y'all ever seen anything like this. This is new unfired brass.20230215_210626.jpg

Oh no, not that Enduron again. Give Hodgdon a call, they will ask you for pictures of the container / cap and explain to them your encounters with the powder and what you saw. I went through this issue twice already with the 4166 and the 7977, and contacted them. They replaced it with powders of my choice which was several cans of H1000. I have those old reports about it on this forum.

Last edited:
Oh no, not that Enduron again. Give Hodgdon a call, they will ask you for pictures of the container / cap and explain to them your encounters with the powder and what you saw. I went through this issue twice already with the 4166 and the 7977, and contacted them. They replaced it with powders of my choice which was several cans of H1000. I have those old reports about it on this forum.
That's good to hear!

I have an open lb of IMR4451 in my powder stash, I just dug it out and it looks a smells fine.

This evening I was laying out components to load up some rounds with IMR 4451 and I noticed it really stunk. I looked closer at the container and noticed a rusty looking residue around the cap and on the top layer of powder. When I shook the bottle it settled off. I loaded up a ladder test of 4451 for my 270 win this past summer have not gotten around to shooting them. Out of caution I pulled bullets. Have y'all ever seen anything like this. This is new unfired brass.View attachment 19111
The rust coloured residue is evidence of oxidation. The propellant becomes unstable and unpredictable. It is still reasonable fertilizer.

Should be no problem to the brass if you have pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. It would be the possibility of excessive pressure that would stretch the brass if fired or even cause a catastrophic rupture of the brass.

Maybe this is why the Enduron powders have been discontinued. I would consider finish pulling the bullets, dump the powder, snap off the primers, and run your brass through an ultrasonic cleaner. It should be good as new.

I've got some 270 Win loaded with 7828 and a pound each of 7977, 8133 and 8208 on the shelf, this makes me very weary at using them.

I’ve never had any of IMR’s single base powders turn on me over the years. Your 7828 loads are most likely fine and will be for a long time. Which is one reason I stick with them. Just recently brought my IMR 4831, and 7828 stocks up to where I’m comfortable again. I haven’t used or stored any of the Enduron powders, so I can’t comment on them.

This evening I was laying out components to load up some rounds with IMR 4451 and I noticed it really stunk. I looked closer at the container and noticed a rusty looking residue around the cap and on the top layer of powder. When I shook the bottle it settled off. I loaded up a ladder test of 4451 for my 270 win this past summer have not gotten around to shooting them. Out of caution I pulled bullets. Have y'all ever seen anything like this. This is new unfired brass.View attachment 19111
Where do you store your powder?

There are so many variables that can make a powder start degrading. I‘ll vacuum seal each brick of yet unused primers, and #11 percussion caps with a food saver vacuum sealer. I do all I can to keep environmental influences out of the equation.

Last edited:
Where do you store your powder?

I have several dozen containers of powder stored in the house including 7977, 4955, and 4166 not to mention other Hidgdon, IMR, and Norma. The 4451 was the only one that went bad.

Boy not me. I have less than a pound each of any powders.
Now that I think about it………I think most of those turned and had to be thrown out.
Then I had a distant cousin run off with all my black powder and caps just last month. I haven’t been very lucky lately.

'I still have four lbs of H-870 that is still useable and it is 70+ years old."

I believe H-870 is a ball type powder. AFAIK, ball powders are all double base types. Bulleseye and Unique are all double based and we all know how well it sores. It's the single based powders that tend to go bad. Years back while reloading in the fall when finished with the lot I was loading, I left two cans, one unopened of IMR 4350 and a partial can of H-335. Got interested in other projects and forgot that powder was still in the shed. Probably five years went by and then I noticed the cans on the shelf. The open 4350 can had rusted through almost to the point of leaking powder. The unopened can showed external signs of rusting as well. The H-335 was still as good as the day I put it on the shelf and I bought that can back in 1973 when I first started loading the .308 Win. H-335 is double based and IMR-4350 is not. That was one of the reasons I wnt to powders like W-748 and W-760. Also I liked the way they run through my powder measures.
Paul B.

Back