Bear Country BBQ Ribs

JD338

Range Officer
Staff member
Nov 4, 2004
We decided to try a new recipe which was for county style ribs and just happened to have a few packages from Sue's bear in the freezer.
All I can say is that they were amazing.
We had decided to pass on the mashed potatoes and cook some asparagus basted in Tuscan Herb Olive Oil. The dry red wine is from a local winery.
It was an excellent meal.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20220325_184337500.jpg
    IMG_20220325_184337500.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 14
Ah, a repast deserving of the highest commendation. It looks to be delicious, Jim. Grain fed bear does provide some of the finest meat imaginable. And accompanied by fine asparagus--what can be better!

Looks so delicious. My simple method is
Rub the BBQ seasoning into and all over the ribs really well, and set aside for 30 minutes to let it set into the meat. Put the cast iron skillet or this fire pit with cover to heat up. Add peppers & onion to start softening up a bit. Place ribs on top, add beer just so that it covers the peppers/onions (for me that was 1/2 a beer so I drank the other 1/2), cover, and let it come to a simmer. Keep it at a simmer, moving around the fire, just so that a little steam is constantly coming out. Check it at 1 hour and again at 2 hours to see if you need to add any more beer in case it is getting dried out, and then every 15-20 minutes after that to see when they are done. After 2 and 1/2 hours mine looked like this:

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 5
Back