Bear Down

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, Gil and Gerry will say it didn't happen since I don't have pictures. However, I managed to drop a fine black bear this morning as he was running off an oat field. One hundred thirty yards at a full run. The bullet hit right at the diaphragm and passed through the liver. The bear made it about thirty yards into the trees and dropped. He is being turned into smoked hams and summer sausage. He was a lovely chocolate coloured bear about that would square about 5.5 feet. I patterned a good bear earlier this fall, but he hasn't given me a decent shot yet. Now, back out for elk.

I was with a couple of young men I've mentored in the past. The elder of the two had been saying that I probably could shoot as well as in years past. He seemed to be somewhat in awe after witnessing the shot this morning. I told my wife later I'd rather be lucky than good any day. It'll quiet the young fellers for a while.

Congrats! I never was good at running shots, so I gave it up. I have a buddy I swear he gives a warning shot, misses, then they take off and drops them first shot! I told him it’s easier to not give them a warning shot, he just laughs.

I've made a few running shots on bears over the years. I've managed to hit most of them, but I'm not batting a thousand. In church last week, a hunting friend commented when one of those boys said he thought I might not miss a bear, "Oh, yeah, he's been known to miss. Just run him for a few hundred yards and then let him shoot." Dang! Hate to see all my secrets leak out. :oops:

Congratulations! That was a fine shot on a running animal. Details please - rifle, caliber, bullet?

Good luck with the elk.

Dan

I was toting my 270 WSM firing a 130 grain E-Tip. This particular rifle/load combination has accounted for moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer and black bear. It is common that only one shot is required. I have a lot of confidence in the rifle/load. We had driven up on a remote field and saw three or four whitetail does flag us as they bounded off the field. We parked and walked a few hundred yards to crest a hill to see if they might have stopped before entering into the tree line or if elk were present at that time. Looking to our right, we saw what we at first thought were ravens in the field about a kilometer away. The bears were feeding on oats that had not been harvested, and which the farmer has opted to leave this year. All we could see were the tufts of hair marking the tops of the heads of three bears. I suggested that we walk along the edge of the field to get a better look. I was convinced that these were bears. As we were walking, a large bear wandered out of the trees but quickly turned to go back into the woods. One of the young men said the bear must have been us. However, I argued that at that distance he wasn't concerned about us, but the dark objects we had seen must surely be bears. As we got within five hundred meters of so, it was obvious that I was correct. We worked out way to get a treed finger between us and the bears and continued to work out way closer. Eventually, I ranged the bear I took at two hundred fifty yards. He was only partially visible because of the standing oats. We had worked out way along the edge of the field to within about a hundred and fifty yards when the bruin became a bit cautious and began to edge toward the trees about fifty yards away from where he had been feeding. One of the young men stepped out and helped the bear make up his mind to boogie off the field. He hit the afterburner and made for the tree line. I lifted my rifle, swung and gently squeezed the trigger as I passed his head. There was a beautiful "whump" as the bullet smacked him as he was about seven or eight yards from the trees. Obviously, there was no recovery of the E-Tip as the wound channel was through-and-through. So, the 270 WSM struck again. I had carried my 325 WSM earlier and lined up on another bear, but didn't pull the trigger as I believed there was significant chance of wounding him. I had also carried my 350 Rem Magnum and my 9.3X64 Brenneke on other occasions, but never really had what I considered to be a clean shot in other instances. Any of those rifle/loads are confidence builders for me, but this was what was presented today, and I took the shot. I always amazes me how little blood there is with bears. Still, I'm looking forward to the summer sausage.

Congratulations Dr Mike. My wife has been draining my brea supply... she made “bear taco soup”. It’s delicious and makes me lust for a bear tag every year.

I’ve never had a shot on a running animal..flying, yes. Running no.

I know it takes skill to hit a running animal.

Congratulations on a well executed shot!

If I was you, I’d let the legend grow.

I threw a 300 game at the church New Year’s Eve bowling party. Threw 17 in a row, something like a 754 series. It’s been 12 years and every holiday season, new people ask if I really did that. Both sons where there... cheering for me to miss!!!!

I’ve often gotten close to picking up a 270 or 7mmwsm. I probably lean to the 7mm due to the huge bullet selection, but an effective 130gn etip...why would you need anything else? Please share your pet load on that etip.

Thanks for sharing the story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DrMike":18fejejt said:
Well, Gil and Gerry will say it didn't happen since I don't have pictures. However, I managed to drop a fine black bear this morning as he was running off an oat field. One hundred thirty yards at a full run. The bullet hit right at the diaphragm and passed through the liver. The bear made it about thirty yards into the trees and dropped. He is being turned into smoked hams and summer sausage. He was a lovely chocolate coloured bear about that would square about 5.5 feet. I patterned a good bear earlier this fall, but he hasn't given me a decent shot yet. Now, back out for elk.

This is unacceptable DrMike, how are we supposed to believe this is true ;) Congrats on the bear and a good supply of sausage and ham. I would imagine bears that have been fattening up on oats must taste great. That 270 WSM with the 130 gr E Tip sure has done well for you over the years. Good luck on finding that big bear and filling a second tag, or maybe the elk will cooperate for you.

mjcmichigan":26a8uvn6 said:
Congratulations Dr Mike. My wife has been draining my brea supply... she made “bear taco soup”. It’s delicious and makes me lust for a bear tag every year.

I’ve never had a shot on a running animal..flying, yes. Running no.

I know it takes skill to hit a running animal.

Congratulations on a well executed shot!

If I was you, I’d let the legend grow.

I threw a 300 game at the church New Year’s Eve bowling party. Threw 17 in a row, something like a 754 series. It’s been 12 years and every holiday season, new people ask if I really did that. Both sons where there... cheering for me to miss!!!!

I’ve often gotten close to picking up a 270 or 7mmwsm. I probably lean to the 7mm due to the huge bullet selection, but an effective 130gn etip...why would you need anything else? Please share your pet load on that etip.

Thanks for sharing the story!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have a 7mm WSM as well, and when I first got it, I thought it would be the one I liked best of all. And I do like it! Somehow, the 270 seems to leap to hand whenever I'm in a hurry and need a dependable rifle.

My load is WW brass, WLR primer, 59.5 g of RL17 and 130 g E-Tip. This load shoots to 0.4 inches consistently for me in this rifle. I developed another very fine load with this rifle consisting of WW brass, CCI250 primer, 72.5 g H1000 (which I apparently can't afford :shock: ) and 140 g PT. It shoots slightly smaller groups than the E-Tip. Funnily enough, I've never used this load on game.

Consequently, the 7WSM has rested on two loads--1 160 grain AB charged with 69.0 g MagPro and a 160 grain Sierra HPBT charged with 60.0 g IMR4350. Both give me near 3000 fps and sub MOA.

gerry":26a8uvn6 said:
This is unacceptable DrMike, how are we supposed to believe this is true Congrats on the bear and a good supply of sausage and ham. I would imagine bears that have been fattening up on oats must taste great. That 270 WSM with the 130 gr E Tip sure has done well for you over the years. Good luck on finding that big bear and filling a second tag, or maybe the elk will cooperate for you.

Let's see, how can I convince you? Fingers crossed? Scouts honour? Cross my heart and hope... (No, I'm too old for that to be acceptable.) Okay, if I'm lying I'm dying! And you and your good lady are welcome over here for sausage this winter, Gerry.

The farmer wanted all the bears off his fields, and on the other ranch (which you'd know quite well, Gerry) I've witnessed the large bear on has asked that I take all the bears off his fields since they do manage to snag a calf or two each spring. This is a large ranch with lots of cattle calving each spring. They are asking if there is some way I can drop a grizzly or two. Course, that ain't gonna' happen; but the bears are there, for sure.

Congratulations on your bear. The color phase sounds very pretty. Oh Yeah the shot was well carried out for sure! Dan.

wvbuckbuster":11ltzx5e said:
Congratulations on your bear. The color phase sounds very pretty. Oh Yeah the shot was well carried out for sure! Dan.

The last time I impressed a couple of brothers with such a shot used one of my Model 94s chambered in .356 Win. The shot was around 240 yards on a running bear. That one rolled the beast as the bullet punched through the heart. Those brothers were just in awe. Me too! Candidly, I still prefer an unalarmed animal standing broadside trying to determine which morsel of vegetation to eat next. :lol:

Congratulations!
I took quite a few running shots, but never that far.
Hats off!

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Though they may not qualify as my favourite meat (good, but not to the taste level of whitetail, elk or moose), bears are definitely my favourite hunt. I enjoy the challenge of the hunt. Big bears don't get big by being stupid. I've many times watched a bear not even turn around to see what made it feel uneasy before scurrying away. I do feel an accomplishment when pitted against brother bear. I did say to the boys that this gets harder each year, and allowed that the pain in my knees and leg could well make this my last year. Ergo, a thrilling way to end. We'll see.

Back