Bears Down!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Our hunt was cut short, by success!

Again this year we hunted the hills above the upper Columbia, only a few miles from the Canadian border, in northeast Washington.
048.jpg

This time of year, the bears are hot after the berry bushes, which were loaded with ripe berries! It's steep country, with scattered patches of thick berry bushes, some dark timber, a few abandoned homesteads with old apple and pear trees, and a surprising amount of open ground. Bears stand out pretty good when they're moving from one berry patch to another. Did I say it was steep? I'm not sure there is any level ground in our hunting area...
047.jpg

My son and I set up a simple, comfortable camp above a wonderful trout steam, but we didn't fish it this year.
020.jpg

Our guide, Shane, met us Thursday night and told us he'd seen four bears on Thursday afternoon. My son and I were pretty enthused when we hit the rack that night. The alarm went off at 0410, and by 0445 we were on the way up the mountain in Shane's big 4x4 pickup. Hiked in, glassed, glassed and glassed. No bears. About 1100 we gave up and headed back to camp for lunch and a nap. Slept great! A couple of hours later we headed back up the mountain to a different location, where Shane had seen the bears late Thursday afternoon. Typically it's not a good spot in the morning.

We hiked in, set up for about 20 minutes and Chris, Shane's young friend/assistant said that one word that got our attention "bear." There he was coming down the ridge toward a steep ravine full of berry bushes! This is "spot and stalk" hunting - the bear was too far to shoot, so we stalked closer. By stalking, I mean we ran & walked as fast as I could - being the old man of the group by over 20 years. We got to a rocky overlook and glassed some more. Eventually the bear showed up in a break between the bushes at about 150 yards. I wanted my son to shoot first, but he hesitated, and the bear figured out we were there. He turned to leave, so I busted him in the shoulder. My son shot, planting a 165 gr Nosler in his lungs, and Chris hammered him with a 140 gr Barnes TSX from his 7mm mag. Amazingly, taking three shots, the bear scrambled into the brush, heading downhill. He reappeared, and Chris & I fired, dropping him. The bear had taken five shots, one from a .30-06, two from a 7mm mag and two from a .375 H&H. Tough critter. He was down though! A beautiful chocolate boar, at about 1600 in the afternoon. John was very pleased to have taken the bear with my old 1917 .30-06, which his grandfather had put together as a hunting & target rifle after WWII. I thought that was pretty cool myself.
028.jpg

023-1.jpg

We skinned the bear and packed him out, UP that doggone steep hill. That night I treated everyone to a meal at a local diner. Even with bad food in a noisy place, we were grinning with the success!

This morning I got up at 0410 again, and again headed up the hill with Shane and Chris. Young John decided it was a good morning to sleep in. We hiked in, started glassing and within a half an hour we'd spotted another chocolate boar feeding at the edge of a berry patch. We put together another stalk, and closed the range to 306 yards according to the laser. I dialed up the old Redfield to 6x, put the crosshairs on the bear and waited for a clear shot opportunity. He stood to get some berries and I torched off the 260 grain Nosler AccuBond. I lost the bear in recoil. The "twack" of the bullet striking home was clearly audible. Chris yelled "You hammered him." I reloaded, cautiously optimistic, since we were 300 yards from the bear, and couldn't see him.

Just as we started to head down to check on the bear, we saw another one, all black, off to our left at about 500 yards. Chris and I ranged him at 485 yards, Chris dialed the elevation on his Burris and touched off the 7mm Rem mag, breaking the bear's spine and sending it tumbling into the ravine below. Amazingly, he hit it again while it was rolling down! The bear made it to the bottom of the ravine, into the brush, hurt but very much alive.

Interesting. Now the three of us had two bears down. In two different places hundreds of yards apart. Shane and I went to check on my bear. Chris stayed up high to watch for his down in the ravine and eventually went down in after the bear. He had one heck of a hunt down there, trailing it and coming up on it when it turned on him wounded and very angry. He fired three times in quick succession, dropping the all-black sow at 10 feet!

Shane and I found my bear, very dead, about 6' from where he'd been standing when I punched him between the shoulders with the AccuBond. It messed up his spine as well as his lungs, and likely the heart - exiting at the bottom/front of his chest. He too was a chocolate colored boar, almost a twin to my son's bear, but a little older and a little heavier. These are average size bears for the area. Estimated at about 275 for John's and about 325 - 350 for mine. Hard to say for sure.

038.jpg

040.jpg

Heck of a hunt, over all to quickly, but for good reasons! I'm very proud of the way my son handled himself on the hunt, he did well. Am also impressed with the 260 AccuBond/.375 H&H combo although the bullet encountered no great bones, only the shoulder on John's bear.

Good company. Good countryside. Good bears and a good hunt.

Regards, Guy

Great write-up and some fine bears. That chocolate colour is gorgeous when you see them. Sounds like a super hunt for all concerned. Congratulations. I almost hammered a nice black bear yesterday. She was perhaps twenty yards from me, but as I raised the rifle, a little head poked out from behind her...

then another...

and another.

She had triplets. She was in great shape and the young'uns were in good shape also. It was great to see. I scurried down a trail just as she scooted across with her cubs ahead of me. I just love bear hunting.

Guy,

Congratulations to you and the boys. You tagged some beautiful bears!
Those chocolate phase bears are gorgeous!

Are you going to have rugs made?

JD338

Guy,

Great story and thanks for sharing. I must add thats fantastic, the time spent with your boy.. I am really looking to my father/daughter deer hunt this yr..

Sure do love reading your stories, keep em coming, plz....

Rod

Thanks guys - yeah, I got a little wordy there. It was a good hunt, somehow I wish we were still up there, at least camping and fishing, but I needed to get those hides on ice, then to the taxidermist quickly. He got mine only a few hours after I shot the bear, and John's had been on ice since the day before, so they should be in good shape. Yes, we're doing rugs... I've wanted a bear rug to go below the elk antlers in the family room for some time...

Dang, getting a rug made is not inexpensive! :shock: Two of them... I need to work some overtime or something... :grin: I'll be grinning all the way. It was a very fun hunt, lots of fun.

Bullet report - the 165 gr Nosler Solid Base from the .30-06 went through the lungs of my son's bear, opening very nicely and causing a big exit wound. Son placed that bullet well, but the bear had already decided to leave the area and wasn't slowing, so the "extra" shots put in him down before he could reach thick cover.

The 260 AccuBond dropped mine at 306 yards. The bear stood to reach into the overhanging berry bushes and I touched one off. Bullet entered to the side of his spine, went straight through, exiting what would be the bottom of his chest if he'd been on all four feet. That exit wound was about the size of a .50 cent piece. This led to good blood loss, and I don't think he was working too good after the 260 AccuBond smacked so close to his spine anyway.

After I touched off that .375 there was a distinct smacking sound as the bullet hit the bear. Awesome.

So - no recovered bullets, just one hole all the way through my bear and several shots into John's bear. Taking five hits kind of messed up that carcass, but no one wanted to see that bear get away, into the thick stuff, wounded. The last shot I fired into John's bear was likely unnecessary, it had stopped, but... Well I was on target and there was the bear, so I put another 260 AccuBond through it anyway. Was sort of hoping to have a recovered Nosler or two, a .30 cal 165 Solid Base or a 260 gr AccuBond, but no such luck, they just went in and out, leaving dead bears behind.

Can't argue with that!

Guy

Guy, I really enjoyed reading about your bear hunt and the pictures to go with it. Congrats to you, John, and your friend. Doesn't get any better than that!

YoteSmoker":28e5cwaz said:
Guy, I really enjoyed reading about your bear hunt and the pictures to go with it. Congrats to you, John, and your friend. Doesn't get any better than that!

DITTO!

Dave

Thanks for the pictures and the stories. Bear hunting is still one of my dreams.
Hardpan

Guy, that was an awesome write up! Excellent story and very good looking bears! Sounds like your mighty 375 has finally counted coup! Glad you and your boy were able to tag out so quickly on them. Hopefully that is a sign for a great Fall hunting season! Scotty

Great hunt and the story got me thinking about a bear tag too. Watching your son nail a bear must of been quite a thrill and getting three bears is a dream hunt. What a great hunt and thank you for sharing the story and pictures.
Greg

Hey Guy,

Congrats on a great, albeit short, hunt!! I think "chocolate" trumps weight here. What a good looking bear. Give John an attaboy!!

Yours is ok too! :grin:

Bob

Great hunt and a great story Guy!

Your son may be ruined though, that's a good looking bear that will be hard to top in the years to come!

Sorry you didn't recover any bullets, but hey isn't that why we keep hammering game with Noslers?

Thanks for sharing, sounds like a great time!

Howard

Guy -
Congrats to both of you - even more special that you are able to do it together.
Great looking country - it's really giving me the itch.

Guy

Great pictures and a great story, a wonderful picture narrative. A great time. its great to share it with family and friends. :grin: :grin:

Guy,
Great story and pics. Quality time, away from the daily noise (except the diner experience)…It doesn’t get any better than that, except when you down two bears. Awesome job,

Back