Benefits of Quickload

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
Well, I have looked at several of the info packages about the benefits of using quickload for load development. It seems like a very useful and entertaining program. If I were to purchase it I am sure I would enjoy playing with the "What If" feature to see different results.

In reality, I am playing with the Montana ASR 30-06, and Nosler 180 Partitions using H4350 and Re22 loads. Groups seem to cluster, 3 of 5 shots maybe .6" to .9" then 2 out around 1.2 - 1.5" or more. I have shot a .8+" group with Federal Premium Nosler 180 Partitions to show myself that I am not the weak link in my setup.

How much real improvement is my groups should I realistically expect if I were to use Quickload to fine tune barrel time etc.? I do not want to spend the money for the program if only marginal improvements are a likely result, and I do not want to bother the kind members here to run numerous combinations of variables if I get hooked on the program.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions. Rol
Use could expand as I do have two 30-06s and a .270 Win. and NYDan lives just down country about an hour south of me and he might enjoy Quickload too.

Rol, I love the program and use it all of the time for my load work. I think you'd enjoy looking at the numerous possibilities you could change.

Since you are running a 270 and 30-06 you may not benefit from it as much as others but be careful, QuikLoad breeds other rifles showing up worse than having and extra scope in my opinion.

And it is no bother to us QL guys Rol. We enjoy running numbers and for me, it's fun to look at possibilities that others are working with.

It's one of the reloading tools I'm really glad I bought too. I use it more after chronoing loads to fine-tune them than I do predicting new loads. If you think you're going to be reloading for a while & something you love to do the $150 investment "pain" will quickly subside. There's an old saying....... buy something nice you'll soon forget the price! Hey....btw.... mine came to me via an Xmas present........just saying!

If you only load for a few cartridges, you may not find the program that valuable. If, however, you load for multiple cartridges, or if you enjoy wildcatting, or if you enjoy experimentation (asking "what if"), you will likely find QuickLoad a valuable addition to reloading materials. It can be a time sink, but it is also a means of generating answers before you encounter the question.

Back