Black Bear Sausage (smoked cheddar sausage)?

LD375

Handloader
May 18, 2009
Just wanted to know if any of you bear hunters have tried or made smoked cheddar bear sausage?

I have a bear hunt coming up in September and would like some feed back on your experience with smoked bear sausage (it's pretty much the only way I would eat it) If I score, I'm planning on the smoked cheddar sausage, according to the butcher up north, it's one of his American clients favourites 8) 50% bear and 50% pork,

Thanks,Lou

...used to 'sausage' a bear every year, pepper jack smokies & 5# chubs of summer sausage (thuringer). Pretty amazing how fast a roll of summer sausage can 'disappear'...

wildgene":tfd43fxx said:
...used to 'sausage' a bear every year, pepper jack smokies & 5# chubs of summer sausage (thuringer). Pretty amazing how fast a roll of summer sausage can 'disappear'...
Thanks Gene, yeah the smoked/summer sausage if done right can disappear pretty fast!

Lou

Bear sausage is very good, I've had it a number of ways.

If your bear comes from the alpine and has been feeding on berries, you should try some roasted. Some of the best wild game meat I've eaten was alpine black bear taken in the fall.

If it's a lowland bear that's been snarking up gut piles and spawned out fish....sausage away!

hodgeman":xurofid1 said:

If your bear comes from the alpine and has been feeding on berries, you should try some roasted. Some of the best wild game meat I've eaten was alpine black bear taken in the fall.

If it's a lowland bear that's been snarking up gut piles and spawned out fish....sausage away!

Wise words. Since most of my bears are taken in the alpine or off of oat fields (in the fall), most of the meat comes home. Some is smoked and the rest treated as I would other game. And I enjoy sausage!

hodgeman":1boh4k7a said:

Oh yah, I've tried the smoked sausage, and really like it, also had some made fresh in honey/garlic but much prefer the smoked sausage and the cheese part sounds appealing to me too :)

Lou

DrMike":1o1svddh said:
hodgeman":1o1svddh said:

Wise words. And I enjoy sausage!

Hi Mike, me too pal :)

Haven't tried cheese with bear but there is no reason it wouldn't work. We have to send a bunch of ours from earlier this month off still and get something made, have to say we have had at least 3 roasts from that bear so far and it has been probably the best bear meat we have ever had. Wish we would have made more roasts but the sausages will be excellent.......

gerry, I sure hope that the sausage is going to be done for the last week of August :wink:?? I plan on getting a buddy of mine to do up some Bison pepperoni sticks to bring as well so that we have something to munch on while we are spotting those big bull Moose with Mike and his grandson (y)!!
Last week Mike was applying for the permit so that I will be able to hunt with you this fall :mrgreen:.
I believe Mike stated it takes 30 days to confirm that his permit has been accepted. I called and left a message with the COs to call me to see if I can purchase my permit & tags before arriving in Dawson Creek so that I can hunt the day after you arrive or I may have to come a day early because the CO's office is not open on the weekend.
Looks like everything is a go so far.

Blessings,
Dan

We saw black bear, mule deer, elk and moose last evening when we went out for a short (until 10:15 pm) hunt. Those darned long hours of daylight make it hard on an old man to keep going. All the animals looked to be in good shape.

DrMike":3imx81jz said:
We saw black bear, mule deer, elk and moose last evening when we went out for a short (until 10:15 pm) hunt. Those darned long hours of daylight make it hard on an old man to keep going. All the animals looked to be in good shape.

Dang Mike... It must be tough to see all those animals in 1 hunt! :grin:

Noah only had a black bear tag, so we were looking for a blackie for him. Those we saw were either too far or moving too fast for him to get set up. I promised that I'd take him out again. He went out with a deacon and a number of other boys to shoot tannerite targets this afternoon, so stalking bear was off the table.

Dan, I'll make sure to bring some sausage along at the end of August :)

Good luck to Noah on getting a nice bear still this spring.

We gotta' get out in order for him to tag one. However, I'll be pushing him this next week. Perhaps we'll be able to get out a couple of evenings.

Back