Brass for 6,5 Creedmoor?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
The new rifle will arrive soon and I am looking for brass. Choice is between hornady, starline and lapua. Prices go up in that order.
How is your experience with them?

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I've used all three brands. If money is not a problem, then go with the Lapua. The Hornady brass was good but lately, I've gotten some bad pieces. The Starline is probably the best value for the money.

Currently, it is more availability than money.
I wanted the lapua, but no one has them on stock right now

I have used Nosler brass and I have not tried any others yet. The Nosler brass is great in my Creedmoor, soon if I could find Lapua, I'll grab them.

I've used Hornady and Starline and they worked just fine for my purposes. Price and availability are tough to beat in my AO.

I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor about a year ago. I wanted to try the Lapua, but I honestly didn't want the hassle of a small rifle primer pocket and to deal with a smaller flash hole and having to find a decapping pin small enough to go through the flash hole. So...… I first bought 100 pieces of Starline large primer pocket brass and I was impressed with the consistency of Starline. If my memory serves me correctly I set my trimmer to the min case length and only trimmed 4 pieces out of 100. I didn't weigh a bunch but out of 5 or 6 pieces I only noticed a + or - of about 2 grains per piece. I haven't had any issues with the primer pockets loosening up.

I also bought 100 pieces of Jagemann brass and its quality is excellent considering I paid only 46$ for 100. I would place it in equal standing with the Starline. Every quality I said above for the Starline I would echo about the Jagemann.

And last but not least, I purchased a box of Hornady American Whitetail just to put the gun on paper and then have brass. I later picked up a few at the range and my father also picked some up at another range. It was all once fired when I started reloading it and so far Im on my 3rd loading with no signs of primer pocket loosness. I did not weigh any of these, but the Hornady all seems decent to me as well.

Im shooting all of the above brass from a Mossberg Patriot Predator and to be honest, Ive gotten some really impressive groups from all the brands of brass. So far Ive developed loads with the 130gr Sierra GameChanger and the 143gr Hornady ELD-X. Ive shot 5 different powders and its been an impressive cartridge to say the least and accuracy has been fantastic considering I only paid $339 for the gun.

Lapua is always good. I’ll echo the reports on Starline - good to go. If Nosler is using Norma for 6.5, I bet it’s good too. The other Norma I’ve had is good stuff.

gbflyer":28rkvjdd said:
Lapua is always good. I’ll echo the reports on Starline - good to go. If Nosler is using Norma for 6.5, I bet it’s good too. The other Norma I’ve had is good stuff.

Oddly, the only brass I has issues with was some once fired Nosler. I could't get a Fed 210M primer to seat flush to save my life. It might have been fine with some other primer, but with a 1000 210Ms on the bench, never tried it.

The small flash'hole is something that bothers me with the Lapua. No idea if I need a different decapping pin. And if so, where he get it...

I have used both Starline and Lapua to make my 25 Creedmoor brass. Both have been good but the Lapua was more consistent in both the weight and neck thickness. For my 260 Remington I have bought some Peterson brass and in the small sampling I have done it looks to be pretty consistent also but not quite as much as the Lapua. I have not loaded any rounds with it yet though. I have also heard very good things about Alpha Arms brass some saying it is on par with Lapua but I have not tried any yet.
As to the small flash hole and decapping pin I bought Redding S bushing dies and they come with the small pin.

I've been using Lapua small rifle primer with no issues, and I hear Alpha brass is excellent.
Starline if on a budget. Brass life was one of my concerns so I chose Lapua.
6.5 guys on YouTube got over 20 loadings with no issues in primer pocket or cracked necks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Lapua with small primers are ordered.
I will just have to see if the pin fits.
If not - well. I will think about it when I get near to the end of the first 200 loads....

Just measured the pin - 1,4something millimeters.
Flash-hole will be 1,5...

I use a Lee Decapping die, you can go to squirreldaddy.com for extra decapping pins

Don't know if they sent to Germany, but I should get them here, too.
Got a decapping die!

Afterthought:
The load-data I have is for large primers. How will small primers effect pressure?

If you haven't developed a load you'll need to adjust up until you find pressure anyway.
What data you have is just a guideline.

Sure - but I could start at a different point if pressures were significantly different with small primers

The brass arrived and the decapping pin is small enough in my dies.
So one step less...

Back