Browning BAR Shorttrac

Teknys

Handloader
Jan 14, 2008
I purchased the Walnut version in a 243W for my wife and I liked it so well I grabbed another in a 300WSM. It shoots 180 PT around 1" at 100yds. Just 3 shot groups. Its fairly light with a Vortex Razor LH on it. Its one of the few rifles I own that's not a bolt gun.

Its the only BAR I've seen on anyone I know. Is there anymore out there? Now I'm in Idaho so this is bolt gun country out here so maybe back east there are more.

I hunted with a man who used a BAR chambered in 7 RM. He had a muzzle brake on the rifle, and I finally quit hunting with him after one too many times when he torched off a load close to my left ear. The rifle was reasonably accurate and did account for game. I didn't like the muzzle brake, however. I've worked up loads in a number of these rifles for clients. They can be pleasantly accurate.

The only ones I have personal knowledge of (short track or not- I dont know- guess I hadnt heard of the before..) shoot sub inch groups with factory ammo. They aint cheap- but the ones Ive seen are impressive. Nice that you are having good luck w/ yours! CL

The only folks I knew who had one were all in 30-06 and they were pleased with them and performed well on deer. Dan.

I've owned a couple over the years, both 308 and older models, and both were 1 inch or better if I did my part.

Ron

I knew one gentleman years ago who hunted with one regularly. He was an Alaska man, for what that's worth. I don't recall the caliber, but I want to say it was a 300 Win Mag.

My grandfather also hunted with a BAR, but that was under slightly different circumstances.

I knew one gentleman years ago who hunted with one regularly. He was an Alaska man, for what that's worth. I don't recall the caliber, but I want to say it was a 300 Win Mag.

My grandfather also hunted with a BAR, but that was under slightly different circumstances.
My father also. Dan.

Back