Bulged shotgun barrel

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Hey folks! My grandfather has an old O/U 12 gauge, I’m not even sure what make it is but he was telling me one of the barrels is bulged. Is it possible to get this repaired?

He told me I could have the gun, but I would like to know what my options are. I have toyed with getting the bulged barrel lined and turn it into a combination gun or perhaps get it turned into a double rifle if its not a fortune to do so.

Someone must have shot pumpkin balls thru it at one time or another.
You see this a lot in older double barrel and over under shotguns when people would load 00 buck in one barrel and the old round ball/ pumpkin ball loads for deer hunting.
The pumpkin ball load would get put in the full choke barrel and fired, since the round ball wouldn't compress when it hit the choke it would bulge the barrel and sometimes split it wide open if it were Damascus twist steel.
To answer your question on if it can be repaired yes but very expensive and it will never be the same unless you have a good old school Smith who can put a new barrel on it and that would mean taking the barrel apart to replace the damaged barrel and then regulating the barrels again. If both barrels are damaged a new set would have to be made.
Some will tell you that the bulge can be ironed out but bulging means metal has been stretched so it will always be thin and weak in that area and that stretched metal has to go somewhere.

Someone must have shot pumpkin balls thru it at one time or another.
You see this a lot in older double barrel and over under shotguns when people would load 00 buck in one barrel and the old round ball/ pumpkin ball loads for deer hunting.
The pumpkin ball load would get put in the full choke barrel and fired, since the round ball wouldn't compress when it hit the choke it would bulge the barrel and sometimes split it wide open if it were Damascus twist steel.
To answer your question on if it can be repaired yes but very expensive and it will never be the same unless you have a good old school Smith who can put a new barrel on it and that would mean taking the barrel apart to replace the damaged barrel and then regulating the barrels again. If both barrels are damaged a new set would have to be made.
Some will tell you that the bulge can be ironed out but bulging means metal has been stretched so it will always be thin and weak in that area and that stretched metal has to go somewhere.
Thank you. My knowledge of shotguns is pretty thin. I have heard of people turning such shotguns into combo guns or double rifles, I am sure thats an expensive proposition though.

Thank you. My knowledge of shotguns is pretty thin. I have heard of people turning such shotguns into combo guns or double rifles, I am sure thats an expensive proposition though.
No more expensive then replacing the barrel or barrels.
If the bulge is near or around the choke restriction and not too short you can have the barrels shortened and have choke tubes installed and is the cheaper option.

No more expensive then replacing the barrel or barrels.
If the bulge is near or around the choke restriction and not too short you can have the barrels shortened and have choke tubes installed and is the cheaper option.
Is sleeving the existing barrels any cheaper than replacing the barrels?

Is sleeving the existing barrels any cheaper than replacing the barrels?
Check this out: https://www.briley.com/c-238-tube-sets-accessories-and-cases.aspx

Competitive skeet shooters have been using Briley (and other brand) tubes for decades. You can get 20 ga., 28 ga., and .410 gauge tubes to fit inside your 12 gauge barrels. I have had several 3 gauge sets of these for three different (Browning Superposed, Winchester Diamond Grade, and Krieghoff) over/under shotguns and they work find. You can even get screw-in chokes for the tubes. This would be a great way for you to go. Good luck with it.

There were gun smiths in PA that would sleeve shotgun barrels to tighten the choke restriction for still target shooting but this was with undamaged single barrel guns.
To get more info you're going to have to google sleeving shotgun barrels or gun smiths that do it.

Back