Can polymer be as strong as metal?

I think it can be very strong Lou. Just depends on the way it's made and the material used.

I just worry about polymers in place of metal is moving places. If it's a non stressed part or piece then if polymer doesn't both you I'd never really worry about it. Polymer will age and "dry out" though when exposed to the atmosphere over time. Again, just depends on what was the make up of the piece when it was built.

There are several considerations... what type of strength are we talking about? In some instances, engineered polymers can be stronger than metals.

Ridgerunner665":3dnvyc80 said:
Stronger than aluminum.... Easily.

Stronger than steel.... Not so much.

Yes Lynn, that's what I was referring to, I was thinking of changing my bolt shroud to an aluminum one on my Tikka T3 hunter, but I really don't think I have to, many Tikka shooters have done so, we'll see?..I really don't anticipate any problems with the polymer bolt shroud.
Lou (y)

Polymers can have very high tensile strength, some even higher than steel. The issue is what engineers call notch strength. Plus many polymers properties are sometimes adversely effected by UVA.

Back