CCI #41 primer vs Winchester #41 primer

JUNKYARD DOG

Beginner
Mar 21, 2022
I am using Nosler 9th edition data: .224 64 grain Bonded solid base bullet, Nosler case, WIN #41 primer, and I will be using either CFE 223 or H335 powder. My problem is i can't find the win 41 primers. Can I use CCI #41's? and if so should I reduce the charge? and by how much? Any other alternative primers I should look for? Using a standard Ruger Mini 14 ranch.

I use CCI450's mostly for my AR's. The 41 series in either is just supposed be a bit thicker for AR's sliding firing pin. Never had an issue myself with 450's, BR4's or 400's in an AR.

As long as you work your loads up, no problem substituting comparable primers.
Should be fine. Some rifles really like one particular primer sometimes. You can see it in groups or on a chrono with super low SD. (Single digit FPS) Mv.

yes , you can use the CCI #41 primers , in place of the win #41 primers . there would be no need to reduce the minimum starting load . just start at minimum and work your way up .

if you already had a load worked up , and needed to switch primers , you probably should back the powder down a little just to be safe .then work back up . needing to back off the powder charge a little is more important, if you are working right at max powder charges . I'm assuming your working with a 223 . in this small case I'd say you would be safe backing off 0.5 ( half) grains

I should have said a couple other things.
1) welcome to reloading.
2) We work our loads up from starting because, there is lot to lot variability in powder. Good argument for buying 4 and 8 # jugs when you find a powder you like.
Ie 4350, 4831, Benchmark, STABall6.5, RL26, W760 etc. I’d buy an 8 of any of those for guns I load a lot for. I think you’ll be happy with the powders you mentioned!

You’d be well served to follow people like Guy Miner, Jim Bires, SJB358 (Scottie). I’ve learned a lot from them and many others I didn’t mention..

Thanks for the feedback. I've reloaded in the past, mostly shotguns, 4 MEC loaders set up to do 28, 20, 12 and 410 bore and did a little single stage cartridge reloading. I suffered a hemorrhagic stroke in 07 that left me without much use in my right eye (dominant eye) and unable to shoot much but after many years of rehab and the advancements in optics I've un-retired a few guns (mini 14, SA M1A, Win model 94 AE 44 mag) and set out on the quest of becoming proficient again (thank you Vortex optics and others).

It was a wake up call when I set out to get ammo so I rounded up my reloading equipment and started on my current quest. I started out trying to duplicate a past load I had success with which was the Nosler .224 60 gr Partition but I have had no luck finding the bullets. I came across these forums a few months back and found Shooters Pro Shop who had the 64 gr BSB bullets. I had the H335, CCI primers and Nosler brass from past supplies and picked up some CFE 223 powder to add to the mix. Nosler calls for a starting charge of 22.5 gr for the H335 and 24.0 gr for the CFE 223 powder. I'll start there and work up. It may take some time because I've got some fine tunning to do to the mini 14 with the ASI gas block/stabilizer set up and I have plenty of target ammo. I'll post results as they come. Thanks again, Greg.

Good luck Greg. I wouldn’t see any issues with the powder and bullets you’ve got in getting a working load.

Back