Christensen MPR...going to try it out.

A

Anonymous

I've been toying around with the idea of a new rifle for a few weeks after selling off a couple of now unused youth pieces. I thought about a custom build in .300PRC or a big boomer in .375H&H and I gave more than a passing thought to a lever action in .44MAG.

I've been watching the Christensen MPR for a little while and have been favorably impressed by a couple of other Christensen products that crossed my path recently. When a MPR in 6.5CM appeared on my local shop's shelf- I decided to take the plunge.

Any experience?

It is decidedly unconventional, but not overly heavy for a chassis gun. The folding stock might be the best executed design I've ever seen. When folded, the 22" barreled gun should fit in all the various nooks and crannies that bush logistics seems to require and strapped to a pack should be unobtrusive when navigating the rough stuff. I'm thinking high altitude sheep and caribou rifle with a generous dose of clanging steel way out past Ft. Mudge.

I have zero experience with one. And I admit it would be hard for me to own one. I dont doubt it is the new best thing, but for someone my age, it just doesn't look right.. the 6.5 creed craze is taking over, that is for sure, so it comes in "todays" caliber I would think your neighbor ( bear ) would love this gun, probably has one.

But the important thing is that you like it and I agree it would be easy to "fold up" and "strapped to ones pack"

I thought you was going to save up and get a double ? (-:

She’s not wrong. I do actually like the lols and handling of that MPR. I do really like the folding stock and light weight of that chassis setup.

I think you will find that it takes a little getting used to when packing and carrying in the field. I’ve found chassis to be a little awkward to carry when your used to trim tradition rifle setups. It’s similar to carrying an AR15, a lot of stuff sticking out. For me side mounted flush cups really helped. Strapping it to your chest, back, or pack sideways keeps it flat and hangs up on less stuff while walking around.

I’m sure it will serve you well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be neat to see how it works for you, I bet it shoots lights out for you.

Finally got the MPR put together and to the range. I mounted the SWFA 10x42 on it and set to shooting.

It's a very easy rifle to shoot well. It weighs right at 8.7 pounds with the scope mounted and with the brake- recoil is pretty much nonexistent. The trigger is a flat faced Trigger Tech unit and it feels pretty good.

I tried- 143ELD-X with both H4350 and Superformance loads and Hornady factory 140 HPBT. Groups hovered between .75and 1.00" for five shots and everything shot to the same POA despite the 7F temps and a 15mph breeze.

I only put about 40 rounds through it while freezing my butt off. I imagine after cleaning it up and shooting during warmer weather will show even better results.

The next 50 down the pipe and I'm really liking the rifle.

It has a slight preference for my H4350 load, but the average 5 shot group for all of loads I've tried over 16 groups is 0.772"... and those are pretty generic loads- nothing worked up specifically for this rifle.

Great news so far, hope you keep us up to date. Sounds like a real good rifle so far.

Back