Chronograph

str8meat

Handloader
Jul 20, 2008
Looking for a good reliable chronograph, last one didn’t work right and never did in my opinion. Looking for some opinions.

There's lots of options but my first chronograph ( and current model) was purchased from: http://www.shootingchrony.com/

Worked great decades ago & even upgraded to a newer model. Never disappointed.

Of course there are lots of other, more expensive, options out there.

Hope this helps ....

With the LabRadar units becoming very popular these days I'll bet you could get a good deal on an Oehler 35P that someone is selling. They're guaranteed for life so that's something you won't have to worry about. I've been using my Oehler for years but when I upgrade the Oehler will go.

BTW - the LabRadar unit with the needed accessories is rather pricey so it may not be a good place look for a 1st purchase.

picked up a caldwell from cabelas today. the rcbs in the bullet configuration case was the previous. well report tomorrow on product.

I have used a Prochrono Digital and a Magnetospeed.

I really like the Magnetospeed for use at a public range. No calling the line cold. Very accurate velocity data. What I don’t like about the Magnetospeed is that I can’t shoot groups with it hanging on the barrel. Some figure it out, I never have.

The Labradar might be the best of both worlds. No calling the line cold. Accurate velocity info, and you can shoot groups with it. But it’s for sure pricey! The most expensive of the three by double.

I think the Magnetospeed and Labradar are the best public range chronos on the market. If I didn’t have the coin for either of them the Prochrono will give pretty accurate info for about $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

str8meat":2lxpr4mo said:
picked up a caldwell from cabelas today. the rcbs in the bullet configuration case was the previous. well report tomorrow on product.

Sorry saw this too late!

I’ve never used it, I’m sure it’ll work fine! Let us know what you think!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a buddies pro chrono plus when I need one, like Joelk uses. Little bit of a pain to set up versus something like the magnetospeed, but works well. Only issue I ever had was bright sun at the wrong angle, but coloring the bullets with black magic marker takes care of that.

Been using the P35 Oehler for 20 plus years, on cloudy days when it would not register velocity, I would just take the top orange screens off and it would work . A pain in the butt to set up, but takes a few minutes and got used to it.

The Caldwell is what I started out with and still use from time to time, I never really had any issues other than bright light causing some problems with it reading, but some DIY sun shade extenders solved that. Just a little trick I picked up when using one of the "shoot through" chrono's is to use one of those el-cheapo laser bore sighters to help set it up quickly. I grabbed one off Amazon for under $20

A couple years ago when they came out (Caldwell) I got my brother one for Christmas. He likes it. Good to go.

Back