Compressed loads

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
I don’t have much experience with doing this, compressed loads, Dr. Mike sent me a QL report that runs up to 110% of case capacity. These loads give me some impressive velocities out of my 257 Robert’s. I’m not worried about tearing up the rifle, #1 I just happen to have a good supply of Rl 22, 26 and 19. I got it before the hoarders got it all. Any insights would be appreciated.

Don, up to 110% is easy peasy. While it might touch the bullet base you won’t notice it till you’re passing the 110% mark in my experience.

If you have RL26 give that stuff a go in your Roberts. I’m betting your eyes will bulge when you see the numbers it makes.

Results will vary, but overall I don't like them. You might find in your case with this rifle, a completely different assessment.

I don't mind right at compressed, or very lightly compressed, but prefer loads that are just under or right at the base of the bullet, if that's how it works out with that powder and load.

The 2 main reasons I tend to ovoid them are that the powder is trying to creep the bullet ahead over time with a heavy compressed load. Also I usually see a greater lack of consistency with a truly compressed load.

H4895 didn't behave nearly as nice when I went into compressed territory in my 760 35 Rem. Not a lot of speed difference, but behaved differently than it had at any other charge under that.

IMR 4350 loves a full case in everything I've used it in when pressures allow, and even does well in compressed form, although I still prefer using it as close to the base of neck as possible when it works out that way. My opinion.

I do use a load of compressed IMR4831 in a 220 Swift for a guy. That rifle loves it so that's what I used and didn't have a lot of time to experiment with other options.

Don, up to 110% is easy peasy. While it might touch the bullet base you won’t notice it till you’re passing the 110% mark in my experience.

If you have RL26 give that stuff a go in your Roberts. I’m betting your eyes will bulge when you see the numbers it makes.
FWIW, I have found that for most propellants, I can pack in 114% if the pressure projections don't exceed safe levels. Scotty is correct that 110% is not only doable, but it is relatively easy to achieve.

Scotty I do have Rl 26 , I got over 3000 fps with 250’s in my 338 Jarrett. I’m not taking the Roberts to Africa with me so there’s no rush, but I don’t leave for a month so I’ll get to play with it some.

I shoot quite a few compressed loads and find them to be very accurate and fast. I use hunting bullets since I load for hunting.

My 460 WBY loads are in the 120% area with RL-26 with no issues. Most of my big bore cartridges are in excess of 110% fill. On these large diameter calibers there is plenty of neck to bullet surface contact that bullets don’t back out. On smaller calibers you will need good amount of neck tension to avoid bullets backing out on heavy compressed loads.

Jeepers, can’t imagine trying to get extra out of a 460, brings tears to my eyes.
I have had the problem, bullets backing out; with my 338 Jarret, problem was attributed to neck tension. Don’t think that will be an issue with 257 Robert’s as it has plenty of surface area.
Finding brass may prove difficult right now. LGS has a couple of boxes of Nosler +P I bought one but it gave me the tremors.

Back