Contender G2 vs Encore

Bluejay

Beginner
Apr 6, 2006
Hi Gents,
I am seriously thinking of getting a Thompson Center handgun in .223 Rem caliber in a 14"/15" barrel (G2/Encore).

Since I am new to this field, I'd like to hear your voices on which of the two you would choose for this setup and why.

Also, do they use the same frame for handgun and rifle configurations, so that I'd need to change buttstock/forend/barrel to make them into rifles ?

What kind of scope mount would you suggest ?

Apologies for the many questions and thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers
Bluejay :wink:

Next to the .22 LR the .223 Remington is one of my favorite Cartridges for the T/C Contender. Yes I much prefer the Contender over the Encore. I have hunted with both and while the Encore can be chambered for much higher pressure cartridges I still prefer the size, weight, feel and balance of the Contender.

My current Stainless-Steel 14" .223 Remington Contender is the most accurate barrel I have ever had (Factory or Custom). With 55gr. Nosler Ballistic Tips loaded with H-4895 Powder if I shoot a group at 100 yards from the bench over 1/2" I MESSED UP. Of course the 3x12x Burris LER Handgun Scope helps some too.

Yes the frames are identical from Rifle to Handgun, but the Encore and G2 Contender are totally different size frames and the barrels do not interchange. IF you buy your frame as a Handgun you can indeed convert it to a Rifle. However if you buy your frame as a Rifle it must stay a Rifle in the eyes of the ATF. I know it sounds silly, but that's the way it is.

I use Weaver Scope Bases on my Contenders with Weaver Quad Lock 4x4 Scope Rings and have not had a problem.

I have been shooting and hunting with Contender Handguns since 1982. I had always used the original Contenders but recently acquired a Stainless-Steel G2 Contender Frame. I absolutely love the Rubber Grip and Forend T/C puts on the new Stainless-Steel G2 Contender Frames. They fit my hand like they were made for me.

223RemG2Contender.jpg

Since this photo was taken I have changed out the Scope Rings to the Weaver Quad Lock 4x4 Rings.

I also have an original Contender Frame in Stainless-Steel.

2008_07210002.jpg

This one wears a Stainless-Steel 14" .22 LR Match Barrel most of the time. It is used for Shooting Gophers as well as Indoor Bench Rest Competition. This thing is scary accurate.

Larry

Thanks for your reply Larry !

I guess I am pending towards the contender more...

One more question for you.....are there any substantial differences in performance between the Blue and SS types ?
I'd say no and I personally prefer the standard look of the Blue finish and wooden parts.

I shot an old contender the other day (No G2) sporting a 4x "cheapy" Scope from the bench @ 100 meters and I managed to put the 3 shots within a dollar.
I know it's not a world performance, but it was my first time ever with a scoped pistol.

Cheers
Bluejay :wink:

The Blued / Walnut vs Stainless / Rubber is a matter of personal preference. I prefer Stainless-Steel and Rubber as I do use my Guns and don't like to have to worry about dinging them up. No I do not abuse my guns but do use them in all sorts of weather conditions and terrains.

As far as a performance difference you'll get answer that favor each in terms of accuracy and barrel wear. I have had both and both have shot just fine.

For some people it takes a bit to get used to shooting these Single Shot Handguns while others take to it right off. I think the biggest thing most first time Single Shot Handgun users fight is Handgun Scopes. They do indeed take some getting used to and yes you get what you pay for. It seems anymore I am kind of anal and rely on Burris Handgun Scopes. This is not to say other manufatures do not make good handgun scopes, I just like Burris.

In fact I am saving up for another Burris Handgun Scope, a 2x7x32mm LER for my SST Super 14 7-30 Waters Contender Barrel.

Larry

The .223 works great in both. I think IMO the best question to ask yourself, do you plan on buying more barrels downt the road. If you do, what type cartridge would you like.

If you prefer low pressure rounds and rimfire then Contender. i.e., 45-70, 7-30waters, etc.. If you like higher pressure then the Encore. i.e., .308win, 7mm08, 500 S&W etc...

I like them both but do not own a Contender yet. Right now I have two Encores, one rifle and one pistol. Love those single shots! :grin:

The G2 is about a pound lighter than the Encore. The Encore will accept higher pressure loads than the G2. I own both and love both. They are different but similar. If you plan on .223 only, go with the G2. If you want to get some bigger stuff (.30-06 type, etc.) go with the Encore.

Back