Coyote hunting

et_miller_87

Beginner
Nov 7, 2016
Currently in central Ohio, where the weather has been a roller coaster this year! A few if buddies and me have been hunting some coyotes, but havent had much luck. We know they are in the area, and have found plenty of evidence to substantiate their presence. Rib cages from dead, a skunk carcass with fresh dog scat beside it and a witnessed attack on a fawn. Problem is, we cant seem to call or bait them in. I am no predator hunter by any means and am very new to it all. Does anybody have any tips or unspoken secrets to it? Morning, mid day or dusk dont seem to matter much! Still see open fields.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Don't call the same place over and over. You have to leave it alone between stands. Some guys only call a place once a year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In Michigan, we don't call long, if they don't show in 10-15minutes, they often won't, so you move to a new set

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":1hu30360 said:
In Michigan, we don't call long, if they don't show in 10-15minutes, they often won't, so you move to a new set

We have tried that some as well. The more I think about it the more I feel like conditions just haven't been right. I think inexeperience is playing a huge part still as well!

5shot":w8vjvt10 said:
Don't call the same place over and over. You have to leave it alone between stands. Some guys only call a place once a year.

That may be a contributing factor as well
5shot":w8vjvt10 said:

Make sure the wind is perfect too...never going to beat their nose.

Absolutely. We've been particular about having the wind to our faces

Coyotes will come in on your downwind side to catch the scent. I use a scent killer when I go calling.

Where we are hunting its impossible for them to circle us without being seen, on all our stands

On my last trip out, I called in one on my first set up and one on the second one, then nothing on the next two. I only hunt the first 1/2 of each day. Just some things that haven't been covered. I always set up in the shade with the sun at my back, earlier is better, try to get a little elevation, my best luck is with hand calls not electronic. Electronic calls are very repetitive, hand calling gives you a different menu of sounds and volume. I think the most critical element is the set up, you have got to be hidden. You can be in a plowed field but you have to blend in and not stand out. Be still. don't move, face mask, and gloves. Nuff from me.

I appreciate the tips everybody. It seems that most of the advice given are things we are doing for the most part, so at least we are on the right track. Thanks again

I find sometimes they don't like heading straight into a stand if they have a wind not in their favour. A lot of guys set up to call them into a crosswind, they feel more secure you just need to be ready to kill them before they hit your sent cone.
Once the call goes on don't move, zero movement, once a coyote or coyotes are spotted coming into a call you can move when they move. If they stop and sit or hold up you freeze.
Everyone has particular ways of doing things I'm no different.
I start with the volume very low , barely audible to my ear. I slowly turn up the volume as the set goes on. I rarely if not ever get to full volume. I do 15-20 min stands if I can't spot a yote in that time frame I move on. I have on occasion seen some either coming late to the call or peeling out of there on my way back to the truck.
I use weather to my advantage I really like the first day after a low pressure/ cold snap. You know the animals have been pillowed up and hunting is not as easy. They seem to me to be a bit more responsive to distress calls.
In your situation and I'm just guessing but it sounds like they have been well fed , so maybe challenge calls will spur a response. I would just try a lone female challenge howl. A single howl nothing else, then sit and wait I'd bet dollars to donuts you will see a couple show themselves
They may not come running in hard be will show up. Be ready for a further shot.

The hunters around these parts are advising that calling is very good (Challenge calls)right now as the young males are attempting to breed. What is that old saying "spring is in the air" (y).

Blessings,
Dan

If I coyote can smell you before you see him....you will never see him. They will try and circle the sound of the call and if they cant some times they just wont IMHO. A mouse upwind sounds like a better deal to a coyote than a rabbit that sounds good that he cant smell. sometimes I think they just wait you out. Ive had them sit and howl out of sight until another got down wind behind me in a corn field. Then all of the sudden there were coyotes on both sides of me :shock: for about three howls and then they were gone. Gave me serious case of the willies. Id never make it as a Grizzly hunter :)
Keep after it, the guys on TV waste a lot of film before they call one in. Thought...can you use a carcass as bait? Im told a turkey is a gourmet treat for a coyote. Never tried that though. CL

We've tried a few different carcasses. Like say, we k ow theyre there. It seems when all three of us have an opportunity to hunt, its right in the middle of a whether change. What's funnier, the lady who owns the land, can be messing around on the porch and they'll show up

Always be able to see the downwind side. If it's possible put a 2nd shooter a couple hundred yards downwind of the call.

Sometimes an electronic call can be positioned in a crosswind so that the coyote can come in straight downwind of the call while you are 100-150yds further out where your wind won't hit him. This can be really effective in strong winds. I use a Mojo Critter decoy next to my electric call and have a pill bottle taped to the decoy stake upside down with a cotton ball on a string in it. The cotton ball is soaked in Coyote Juice or coyote urine to help cover any scent I left setting the call out. When I set the decoy I open the bottle and the cotton ball hangs out in the wind. This has worked on some pretty smart old coyotes, they can not only hear the call they can see the decoy and smell the cotton ball too. It checks all the boxes for them and makes them confident. When doing this take the first good shot you get, don't let them get to close to where you walked setting the call out.

If you are seen, smelled, or heard heading to stand nothing else you do matters. Be really careful getting in place, just like you were walking to a treestand for deer.

I have more luck with coyote sounds this time of year, I use a mix to get their territorial instincts or pure curiosity to lure them in. I start with howls to let them know a coyote is in the area and if nothing happens after 12 minutes I experiment with fight, distress, or female sounds. I don't use them all on every stand, just one or two each spot until I find something that works.

Back