Coyotes Chasing Doe

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Yesterday was opening of squirrel hunting, and my grandson was been nagging to go hunting for the first time. He's too young to carry his own gun, so I took my old Marlin 60 .22LR and let him walk/sit with me...Not much was going on, until it sounded like the woods was coming down around us when a doe came screaming by us about 20 yards away with a coyote hot on her tail then another coyote came crashing through just a few seconds behind, I swung up the rifle, but couldn't pick it up in the old Tasco 4x. The whole thing was over in 5 seconds. Who knows if the doe made it or not...I've never witnessed the chase in person before, that was something to remember..I know it's the whole "circle of life" thing, but those dang invasive yote's are getting more and more prevalent, and I do enjoy providing them with a free high velocity cranial evacuation, when I get a chance.

That is a remarkable, and perhaps once in a lifetime experience. While I do concur that yotes have because a big problem, it's still just amazing to see something like that in person.

Yea, guys . Pretty cool the grandson experienced that during the first hour he ever spent hunting. Only took me 40 years in the woods to see it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is pretty cool to have observed. You'll definitely want to stress to your grandson how privileged he is to have witnessed that scene.

Where I used to hunt up in Wyoming, the coyotes were using their wolf cousins tactics of hunting in packs.
A buddy of mine, after shooting his deer one late afternoon was dragging his deer back to base camp in same said area, and he was hearing coyotes behind him, and then felt tugging on the deer as he's dragging, and saw several coyotes trying to steal his deer.
In the mountains of Wyoming, coyotes are thick as flies, and can be seen and heard on a regular basis.
They are becoming more brazen with their attitudes as well, and have been taking down deer, and other same sized animals, and sometimes have been attacking hikers as well.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

One morning deer hunting I was using doe and fawn bleats. Within minutes I had song dogs coming in, 3 from different directions. One I shot in the creek bottom below me at about 120 yrds, the second fled but stopped and looked over his shoulder at about 60 yrds, big mistake. I lost sight of the 3rd so I let things settle and hit the fawn bleat. All of the sudden the 3rd one appeared right at the end of the big oak log I was sitting on still looking for his meal, at about 10 yrds. He was dead before he could turn and run. BTW at 165 BT going about 3200 out of a 300 WSM will turn a coyote inside out at close range.

26NosFan":1s2xiqcr said:
One morning deer hunting I was using doe and fawn bleats. Within minutes I had song dogs coming in, 3 from different directions. One I shot in the creek bottom below me at about 120 yrds, the second fled but stopped and looked over his shoulder at about 60 yrds, big mistake. I lost sight of the 3rd so I let things settle and hit the fawn bleat. All of the sudden the 3rd one appeared right at the end of the big oak log I was sitting on still looking for his meal, at about 10 yrds. He was dead before he could turn and run. BTW at 165 BT going about 3200 out of a 300 WSM will turn a coyote inside out at close range.

I rekon!! :lol: I watched my buddy hit one in the "back-end bullseye" with an AccuBond from a 270 wsm at about 50 yards...Pretty much 'yote pudding..LOL

Back