Crono a muzzle loader

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
Has anyone used their magneto speed on a muzzle loader? Was thinking about checking the load that I use in my CVA inline which is 110 grs Blackhorn 209 and Traditions Smackdown 250gr . Let me know if you've done it. Thanks, Dan.

The drawback of the Magnetospeed with the CVA is you have to pop off the ram rod holder clip. I don’t use BH209 so I can’t help you there.

I'd use caution if you're shooting sabot bullets . I shot sabots through my chrony a few times , without any problems . one day I was shooting through it , a sabot hit the chrony on the digital readout screen . I can see bad things here , like a petal of the sabot hitting the bayonet , and wiping it out .

I used 84 grains of bh209 powder 209 primer with 250 grain Barnes tipped tmz. 26” optima produced 2050 fps. This was through a Caldwell chrono placed 15’ from bench. Powder charge was weighed on grain scal.

I'd use caution if you're shooting sabot bullets . I shot sabots through my chrony a few times , without any problems . one day I was shooting through it , a sabot hit the chrony on the digital readout screen . I can see bad things here , like a petal of the sabot hitting the bayonet , and wiping it out .
That's what I'm concerned with. The load works just curious how fast it might be. Thanks, Dan.

I used 84 grains of bh209 powder 209 primer with 250 grain Barnes tipped tmz. 26” optima produced 2050 fps. This was through a Caldwell chrono placed 15’ from bench. Powder charge was weighed on grain scal.
This gives me something to go on as my barrel is the same length. Thanks, Dan.

Back