DIY Mule Deer

OleBud

Beginner
Jul 29, 2022
Hey guys. I’m thinking of heading west for the first time in 23, and interested in Colorado for Mule Deer. Any of you have shareable info on public access? Not out for a monster, would just like a decent buck before I’m too old and slow to take on the terrain.

One thing about Colorado is the amount of public land that there is to hunt. Lived there for 12 years and still hunt there almost every year. I recommend looking at the draw results to see which unit you can draw with little or no points. That will determine where you wind up going. Just remember that the units that are easier to draw have more hunters. We usually draw a deer tag every third year for the unit/s that we hunt, and I can still find places that aren't crowded.
Good luck
Ed

When I went out a couple years back for elk, I found, and suggest, the following:

1) Use this map product to get a broad-brush idea of where you would like to hunt: https://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/index.html?app=HuntingAtlas
2) Call CPW and tell them exactly what you are looking to do. I did, and they were very helpful. Hunting tourism is a business and they recognize that if they can help you be successful, you will encourage others to spend their money there as well.

Never hunted Colorado, but yes, come out west somewhere and hunt that muley. I've hunted Washington and Wyoming quite a bit.

Doesn't need a special rifle. A normal "sporter" rifle of 270, 280, or 30-06 will work great.

Get good with your rifle, whatever it is. Good binoculars and a laser rangefinder are very helpful.

Make sure you know where you can and can't hunt. There are phone apps available for that.

Consider paying to hunt on private property. In my experience the bucks on private land are far less pressured and stick more to their natural routine. And there's not a sea of hunters after a few good bucks.

Regards, Guy

Back